News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

EPCOT-O.G.

Now you’re just quoting from the Trian presentation.

“we believe that many of the Company’s current problems are self-inflicted and need to be addressed”

But at least you didn’t write “this was all Iger’s doing” again
The Fox acquisition and D+ spending spree were quite substantial outlays, and questioning the wisdom of these then and now shouldn’t be dismissed as merely parroting talking points.

The Fox acquisition had a lot more to do with Star coverage and Asian/European market share than “we get Avatar and the Fox rights to Marvel!” but that was a hefty, hefty price to pay. When tens of billions are spent or taken on as debt it’s fair to question whether that was a prudent use of company resources.

Slpy3270

The Fox acquisition and D+ spending spree were quite substantial outlays, and questioning the wisdom of these then and now shouldn’t be dismissed as merely parroting talking points.

The Fox acquisition had a lot more to do with Star coverage and Asian/European market share than “we get Avatar and the Fox rights to Marvel!” but that was a hefty, hefty price to pay. When tens of billions are spent or taken on as debt it’s fair to question whether that was a prudent use of company resources.
If Peltz is hoping the Fox acquisition will be partially or totally undone he's living in a fantasy world. The assets are now fully integrated within the Disney umbrella and have helped Disney in retransmission renegotiations. A Fox property is currently #1 at the box office and is expected to be amongst the top grossing movies of all time.

He's behaving like it's worse than the AT&T-Time Warner merger or the Warner Bros. Discovery merger. Either he hasn't been reading the news lately or he's buddies with Zaslav.

I expect Iger will be a lot more defensive about it come the earnings call next month if not sooner.

Trauma

What problem?

Their biggest problem seems to have been suggesting they would spend more money on content. Wall Street isn't going to let Disney spend their money.

That's not really a problem for consumers is it?
1673536336189.gif

kingdead

I mainly know Peltz from his daughter marrying Brooklyn Beckham, so explain--this is really all about the stupid US content split between Hulu and Disney+? Basically Disney didn't put its non Marvel, non Star Wars stuff on its flagship due to prissiness and now it's about to lose it all?

Rickcat96

What problem?

Their biggest problem seems to have been suggesting they would spend more money on content. Wall Street isn't going to let Disney spend their money.

That's not really a problem for consumers is it?

Consumers fund it by paying for services, Disney cant afford anything right now, for the parks-any new perks or discounts are little compared to the increases in the last 2 years. Add the possible next 12 months of the R word.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Are you implying this is a reaction to what some perceive as the cultural/political tilt over the last year or so?
No…

It’s not about Florida or even national politics…

I’m more saying this is big/old money is involved here…and slit throats from NYC.

Wow…I’m just watching the Peltz interview…
…it’s hard to unpack

Slpy3270

That CNBC interview tells me that Mr. Pelz really knows nothing about how Disney's business operates. My guess is the board and shareholders will largely ignore him, as they should.
He owns like $900 million in a $181 billion company. Only way this would work is if he ropes in enough institutional investors (i.e. Vanguard) to support his bid or the stock drops so hard his shares hold more weight.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He owns like $900 million in a $181 billion company. Only way this would work is if he ropes in enough institutional investors (i.e. Vanguard) to support his bid or the stock drops so hard his shares hold more weight.
This is what corporate raiders do…it’s not an unproven method.

The P&G affair he spoke on is pretty telling…a failure…but he got on the board and came within a hair of leveraging that out too. Pretty big name there

Rickcat96

This is what corporate raiders do…it’s not an unproven method.

The P&G affair he spoke on is pretty telling…a failure…but he got on the board and came within a hair of leveraging that out too. Pretty big name there
They only thing he said - dividends by 2025- clearly wants his $$. But with Hulu purchase on the horizon- It's impossible for dividends to return that early.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom