News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Cliff

Yeah, they tell us *something*.

Why do you have to take it to such a extreme as to make it meaningless?
I'm not saying that subscribers numberd dont mean much to "Disney". I'm saying advertizers dont actually care about subscribers. They care about Disney being able to provide eyeballs to the adds. They need to CONFIRM that their adds are being "seen" by a certain number of people they pay for. Add agencies want metrics to justify the rates they pay Disney. "Subscribers" as a number alone doesnt cut it. McDonalds might want 300k 16-25 year olds and Mercedes might want 500k 40-55 year olds. Proctor and Gamble might want women 18-38 year olds....and want CONFIRMATION their adda were targeted accurately.

Thats what Im talking about

Last edited:

Chip Chipperson

They are offering Disney+ free to parks cast members this year, so it seems they would have figured out how to handle the finances.

The simpler answer though is probably technical. How would you go about deploying it to a hotel TV system and then also handle having accounts with free/unlimited access that have to be reset for each guest (for parental controls). It's not necessarily impossible to figure out, but from a technical standpoint it would be expensive. It would require project funding to ensure deployment and additional CMs for training and maintenance going forward.

That's probably why they settled on the D+ preview channel with a scheduled rotation of shows, instead. It gives the guests a small amount of access while also acting as a form of advertising for the service.

Vegas Disney Fan

When Kevin Pollak said "it's astonishing to me the stupidity of these people " I said, same.

I’m watching an FTX documentary while reading this and it seems stupidity is more common than we care to admit.

They keep showing videos of the kids running this company and not one of them seems competent enough to run a family store let alone manage billions in funds.

Greed creates a lot of opportunities for stupid decisions to happen.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’m watching an FTX documentary while watching this and it seems stupidity is more common than we care to admit.

They keep showing videos of the kids running this company and not one of them seems competent enough to run a family store let alone manage billions in funds.

Greed creates a lot of opportunities for stupid decisions to happen.

Remember tho.. Schemes like FTX are about math and software. Those kinds of banking schemes to make money by moving and converting stuff is all huge math problems. You gravitate to nerds to solve those kinds of problems and present convincing numbers.. not the suave sales guy.

We all see a bunch of geeks... they were coming to money men with MIT and Stanford degrees saying "we know how you can make a lot more money if you give us X...".

Vegas Disney Fan

Remember tho.. Schemes like FTX are about math and software. Those kinds of banking schemes to make money by moving and converting stuff is all huge math problems. You gravitate to nerds to solve those kinds of problems and present convincing numbers.. not the suave sales guy.

We all see a bunch of geeks... they were coming to money men with MIT and Stanford degrees saying "we know how you can make a lot more money if you give us X...".
They swindled some of the biggest hedge funds, pensions, etc… some of the biggest and brightest… $50 billion lost.

It’s shocking how much capital an unregulated company in an unregulated industry was able to raise solely on the promise of a big return, all with no proof of anything because it was unregulated and they didn’t have to show the books to anyone.

Disstevefan1

The one thing I get a kick out of - is Chapek signed a non-disparagement.

So he can’t even talk. Well he could talk. But it wouldn’t be what he wants to say.
Chapek can "not talk" all the way to the bank. Let's hope he is smart enough to realize that this too shall pass.

Bob Iger apparently has not figured this out yet.

And the real losers are all the Disney fans.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

Like most things. Those that got in early. And understood it. Made bank. And got out when they felt it had run it’s course.

Those who lagged - and believed in the rainbows and unicorns - got stuck holding the bag.

mf1972

Wait so if Iger came back from the dead, does that mean Darth Vader is actually Chapek here?
0653601D-9DAB-4D92-81B3-8092FA13B7BC.jpeg

MrPromey

At $2.9 billion someone, somewhere must have seen it :)

No offense to Avatar fans here (I do wanna see this new movie) but I can almost guarantee you that land in Animal Kingdom has more cultural relevance than the actual movie does.

I've seen a lot of movies over the years I wish I could forget and a lot more that I have forgotten - not saying this is one of those but it's a 13 year old "event" move which isn't nearly as fun at home as on the big screen. That's probably why it did so well in re-release this year despite not seeming to hold strong in the decade+ after it left theaters the last time.

This new one feels like it could be anyone's guess in terms of how well it does but Cameron has an established track record of making executives nervous and then making them seem stupid for doubting him.

The original Avatar was predicted to end his career before getting him the blank check he got to make this one which is why it's funny to hear people talk about how this is going to be the one that sinks him.*

Maybe it will or maybe it won't.

I just hope it's a fun movie.

*oh yeah, Titanic was also predicted to be his big folly - almost forgot ;)

_

Last edited:

brb1006

There's a video surfacing around social media showing Disney Fans cheering after news broke of Chapek no longer being CEO at Disneyland in Main Street USA. I can't find the video, but it's out there.

Update: Turns out that video was fake.

Last edited:

MrPromey

There's a video surfacing around social media showing Disney Fans cheering after news broke of Chapek no longer being CEO at Disneyland in Main Street USA. I can't find the video, but it's out there.

Some people just don't care what anyone thinks. He sure ran the business like he didn't care what fans, executives or any other cast thought so it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't really care now.

As a bean counter, he's gotten a lot of beans to do nothing and frankly, for that kind of money, I know I'd LOVE to be s#!t-canned.

Dude can wipe his tears with Benjamins.

In other news, if you're a cast member in central FL and a fan of Rita's Italian Ice, they want to celebrate Bob's departure with you:

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Serious respectful open question to the people celebrating this- Can anyone here explain why they believe Iger would have handled the parks differently/better than Chapek? Or why they believe things will improve with his return. Keep in mind that Chapek has only been running the company 100% solo for less than a year. The issues people currently have with the parks are a continuation of Iger's policies (if not approved by him directly before leaving). CEO title or not, Iger was still with the company and dictating decisions until December 2021.

I would understand celebrating if this was actual new leadership with a chance for positive impact. But it's Iger again, his handling of the parks from my view was pretty much identical to Chapek. I just don't understand the excitement...

Granted I expect most of the positive reactions aren't coming from this site specifically. But if anyone here has anything to share on the matter, it's appreciated.

James Alucobond

Serious respectful open question to the people celebrating this- Can anyone here explain why they believe Iger would have handled the parks differently/better than Chapek? Or why they believe things will improve with his return. Keep in mind that Chapek has only been running the company 100% solo for less than a year. The issues people currently have with the parks are a continuation of Iger's policies (if not approved by him directly before leaving). CEO title or not, Iger was still with the company and dictating decisions until December 2021.
I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that, given Iger is somewhat less of a robot and cares deeply about public perception, he might have reacted or adjusted policies as they were implemented in a way that at least seemed more palatable. Chapek was following an existing long-term plan, but he kind of mashed down on the accelerator. I'm not saying Iger wouldn't have done the same thing, but I can see how one might think he would have approached things in a more measured way or that he will perhaps be more apt to reverse things now in order to become the anti-Chapek.

MrPromey

I would understand celebrating if this was actual new leadership with a chance for positive impact. But it's Iger again, his handling of the parks from my view was pretty much identical to Chapek. I just don't understand the excitement...

Granted I expect most of the positive reactions aren't coming from this site specifically. But if anyone here has anything to share on the matter, it's appreciated.

I'm not jumping up and down or anything but if you need an example of why this change makes me happy, I'll point you to Kareem Daniel as exhibit A.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of either Bob but if I have to eat my veggies and you're giving me the choice of asparagus or brussel sprouts, I'll take the double serving of asparagus, please.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom