News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Fantastic!

Now we just need a marine biologist and I think we've got our core group to run this company.
Back To School Quote GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not to belabor the Avatar discussion too much, but Cameron did make Titanic, a movie famous for everyone knowing the ending before seeing it, the number one box office success for some time.

I wouldn't bet against Avatar. Technology might be important, but honestly it's the first Disney tent pole in recent memory that didn't somehow involve a comic book character.
I wouldn’t bet against avatar because Jim Cameron made it….Disney has almost zero to do with it

Last edited:

hopemax

I really don't understand this - or even the fact that they don't have the option to SIGN IN to your D+ account on the in-room TV's. I mean, almost all hotels now have the ability for you to sign into your nextflix account or other service. Why wouldn't disney have the same thing, even if it was only for D+?
Because no matter how many times a Disney exec says "synergy machine" they don't actually understand it.

This is the type of plussing, that Disney has been eliminating or monetizing for the last decade or such. There are costs associated with even minor stuff like this (programmers, equipment) for some department to pay while there is constant pressure to tighten the budgetary belt. Would this be a P&R cost or a D+ cost? Second, could you just imagine if even a fraction of guests used their checkout day to stay in the room and watch D+ content they could be watching at home, instead of heading to a character breakfast, a few hours in the park, Disney Springs. Not to mention the stress for the spread-to-thin housekeeping staff to turn over rooms. The number of posts of people complaining about the knocks they get from housekeeping in the mornings is already noticeable.

This isn't the same company that had some understanding of the holistic benefits of free copies of Disney magazine in a hotel room, that might generate some magazine subs, or when a park would run a parade themed to the summer animation release. In the current structure, P&R doesn't benefit by driving a tiny increase in D+ subs. D+ doesn't benefit by improving the P&R experience for guests. These divisions, in the trenches, are more in competition with each other than allies. If there isn't a clear revenue positive outcome, it doesn't happen.

Smiley/OCD

Disney ditching the strategy of smaller budget, adult films and going all franchise/tent pole is what led to a series of expensive box office bombs like John Carter, Lone Ranger, Nutcracker and the Four Realms, and more. Marvel has been propping up the studio division more than anything else since.

The Proposal (2009) was a Touchstone release and a box office smash, grossing over $300 million worldwide on a $40 million budget.

Iger looked at that and felt franchises were better because of sequel and merchandise potential...forgetting the need for movies to make back their money in ticket sales first.
The last great thing that was done under the Hollywood banner was when the record label signed Queen and reissued their albums that weren’t available in the US for years.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Don't 100% understand the legalities but here's the article that cam across my Google this morning.
because the reporter conveniently flips between references non-stop in that article creating even more confusion. It doesn't prevent providers from providing Live TV and forcing price increases on everyone.. it forces it if they want OTHER Disney bundled channels in their lineup.

Their argument is predicated on the concept that ESPN is so popular, providers can't afford to be without it, but because of that, they are subject to Disney setting prices on content that must include ESPN and in turn raise their own prices.

So... they don't like Disney forcing them to pay ESPN prices, but play along because they say they can't NOT have ESPN :)

But it's complicated because of contract terms Disney forces like saying ESPN must be part of the base package... if they carry ESPN.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom