News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

CaptainAmerica

He was demonstrably using the Nielsen numbers incorrectly. He didn't understand it. We've had such problems with several people in the Movies forum using them wrongly to prove that the thing they hate was awful.
Many things can be true at once.

1. I think Andor has been excellent.
2. Disney has been disappointed with Andor's performance.
3. Andor has been in the top 10 of streaming on whatever given week(s).

CaptinEO

Many things can be true at once.

1. I think Andor has been excellent.
2. Disney has been disappointed with Andor's performance.
3. Andor has been in the top 10 of streaming on whatever given week(s).
Definitely. I think sometimes things may underperform but it doesn't mean it's some disaster. But it can show brand fatigue or maybe other underlying issues.

I personally am and have friends, family, and coworkers that are all Star Wars fans and only one has checked out Andor.

The people I talked with said they just need a break from Star Wars but will probably see it one day in the future.

el_super

It will clearly do well, but there is no where near the perfect storm the first film had.

Not to belabor the Avatar discussion too much, but Cameron did make Titanic, a movie famous for everyone knowing the ending before seeing it, the number one box office success for some time.

I wouldn't bet against Avatar. Technology might be important, but honestly it's the first Disney tent pole in recent memory that didn't somehow involve a comic book character.

Chip Chipperson

Individually targeted ads are extremely expensive to implement and advertisers have shown an unwillingness to pony up and pay for them. I don't think they'll become the norm for SVOD any time soon. Instead, I think you'll see targeted advertising based on the content that people are watching. "I want 18-49 men, so I'm going to advertise on Mando," that sort of thing.

I say they start getting some more product-placement revenue for D+ content. Those Coke spheres are in Galaxy's Edge, so stick them in Mandolorian, Andor, and every other Star War series. Have Mando casually mention how he'd kill for an ice cold Coke and then Grogu uses the Force to get one from a local merchant's fridge and gives him a little wink. Synergy!

el_super

That's what I think some folks don't get. Pretty much everything we have gotten parks-wise would have been the same under Iger, it just would have been delivered with more finesse. To think that this stuff wasn't already in the pipeline is silly talk.

Yeah but Iger has an opportunity now that most execs don't get: he can change course and blame it on the other guy.

If something isn't working, I would fully expect Disney as an organization to acknowledge that and change directions. Easier when you can blame someone else, but still required even when you can't blame someone.

I think the real thing people don't get is, some of those changes actually are successful and don't need to be rolled back.

DCLcruiser

Not to belabor the Avatar discussion too much, but Cameron did make Titanic, a movie famous for everyone knowing the ending before seeing it, the number one box office success for some time.

I wouldn't bet against Avatar. Technology might be important, but honestly it's the first Disney tent pole in recent memory that didn't somehow involve a comic book character.
Titanic transends generations. Avatar is vague, had/has no popular character (no idea his name), and came out ages ago.

Plus, Titanic was super long for the time, and took up multiple VHS. That was an event that teens to grandma wanted to see.

TalkingHead

It will clearly do well, but there is no where near the perfect storm the first film had. The biggest advantage they have is that it is now a Disney property - basically, they have cleared the slates of any other major titles it would have had been up against if Disney had not purchased Fox and it had some actual competition. If there were, say, a Marvel film opening up around that time, it would be facing a far different landscape.

You are correct, though - that this is not going to get repeat viewings like the last one, and it's not going to be this "wow you have to see this new technology!" cultural event that drew everyone and their grandmother into theaters specifically to see this new fangled digital 3D tech. When you add on the fact that beyond it's technical merits, the original film has very little character recognition or anything else today (almost no one has been waiting a decade just to see what the "next chapter" holds) it is difficult to see it following a similar trajectory of growing the audience versus the steep drop off it will likely have, like most films.
Plus it’s 3+ hrs. with no intermission. But it’s a breezy 195 minutes, I’m sure.

AEfx

Titanic transends generations. Avatar is vague, had/has no popular character (no idea his name), and came out ages ago.

Plus, Titanic was super long for the time, and took up multiple VHS. That was an event.

Titanic also had the "wow new tech" angle, but most importantly was all about repeat viewers as well. Groups of teenage girls (a group traditionally ignored by blockbusters) were going to it weekly all winter long. Similarly, Avatar gained audiences because of the tech involved and the "wow you have to see what a modern 3D movie looks like!"

It will open well, but even though the studios have cleared the slate for the film, to expect it to have legs like either of those films is really stretching things, IMO.

Vegas Disney Fan

What change made was conceived and executed entirely during Chapek’s tenure?
Without internal knowledge we’ll never know, it’s possible Iger and Chapek were planning this all along, it’s equally possible Iger had been vetoing Chapeks desired park changes for 5 years and the second he gained control he enacted them solely by himself.

Off the top of my head… loss of magical express, FP to G+, and reservations… those are the big 3 evils and there’s no indication Iger had any involvement in any of them.

CaptainAmerica

(no idea his name)
1669227743256.png

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Lake Nona was being planned with Iger in charge. Magical Express may be entirely during Chapek but I’d have to double check.

Iger may have been planning Lake Nona, but he sure as hell wouldn't have told them they have 90 days to uproot their families or lose their jobs and in fact that is one of the things he was complaining about in his lunch sessions around town (the way Chapek handled and delivered that news).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom