News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm asking this sincerely.

Why the hell should Disney care if some Target in Poughkeepsie is a craphole? Should Nike care? Or Samsung? Or P&G?

Because they are representing the brand. This is more than just a simple retailer carrying their product. Companies also often pay for how their product is presented/promoted in the store. So if the retailer is failing to meet the standards or their obligations, then yes, they should care.

Additionally, this isn't just a normal situation, but a co-branded offer where Disney was using this specifically as a unique partnership. So yeah, it's relevant to Disney... just not really in a CEO discussion... and certainly not in a discussion about them trying to retort by getting back into B&M retail :)

erasure fan1

Disney completely abandoned any interest in the video game industry, ignoring a massive entertainment medium that constantly increases in popularity.
That's a big one for sure. An industry that as a whole is bigger than music and movies combined. And he decided, well we can't put a video game on D+ so who cares! And now the only way to get back in, is to go on a spending spree and buy up some studios. Disney has the largest back catalog of IPs that would work great in the video game space. It's a real shame they abandoned it. All they can do is farm it out now, and they've done a poor job with that.

Raidermatt

…I figured something like this was coming. But it’s off because it doesn’t look at the whole tenure in totality in the context of what Disney was before he arrived and what it was when he left.

Quite simply: it was 5x the company it was when he left and an international corporation. I can’t take anyone seriously who believes that to be easy to steward and instead chooses the worst moments.

If your point is Frank wells was key…then I’ll grant that. But there’s no way you can separate the two completely. And I’m sure Frank wells would disagree with your assessment.
Of course Frank Wells was key. They were co-leaders for the first ten years, Wells had just as much power as Eisner, and in some ways he had more. He was the choice to run the company and he was put in a position where he could essentially do so, while Eisner could be satisfied with the title and running the studio. Things generally went well, at least from an external pov. Then Wells died and things deteriorated, and it wasn't just a few things. There was the Ovitz/Pressler debacle. Katzenberg bolted and animation imploded. Relationships with Pixar, the Muppets and others soured.

I am looking at the totality of the regime, and I am evaluating it based on the context of what was going on during the various points in that regime. Without that it's just a surface level analysis.

SteamboatJoe

Eh it's all relative. People liked the Disney Store and are probably nostalgic now, but they apparently didn't like shopping at the mall all that much.
I admit the decline of malls was a problem and there needed to be some exclusivity to brand. I still think they coud work in locations that have staying power where the ambiance and experience is part of the offering.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Of course Frank Wells was key. They were co-leaders for the first ten years, Wells had just as much power as Eisner, and in some ways he had more. He was the choice to run the company and he was put in a position where he could essentially do so, while Eisner could be satisfied with the title and running the studio. Things generally went well, at least from an external pov. Then Wells died and things deteriorated, and it wasn't just a few things. There was the Ovitz/Pressler debacle. Katzenberg bolted and animation imploded. Relationships with Pixar, the Muppets and others soured.

I am looking at the totality of the regime, and I am evaluating it based on the context of what was going on during the various points in that regime. Without that it's just a surface level analysis.
You didn’t see my question in another response?

How old are you? Yes…that matters here.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I still think they coud work in locations that have staying power where the ambiance and experience is part of offering.
In the DFW area, I know they closed all the stores except the generic outlet store in an outlet mall, if that tells you anything about what they determined is worth keeping open...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Eh it's all relative. People liked the Disney Store and are probably nostalgic now, but they apparently didn't like shopping at the mall all that much.
I don’t actually lament the loss of the physical Disney stores.

But the target move was crass nonetheless. Either sell your stuff with few stores - like lego - or go online.

Slaphead tried to have it both ways and it’s repugnant.

…one of these days he’s gonna get fired for cheap moves like this…mark my words

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I didn't say it was acceptable, I said people aren't going to blame Disney for it. And yes, Disney should audit the displays and hold Target accountable and we have no reason to believe they don't.

Again, this is a screenshot posted by laid off employees who are salty and out to prove a point. It is not evidence that closing the Disney Stores was a bad idea.
I went in and cleaned up the display. We can relax now...
1669152407713.png

SteamboatJoe

But the target move was crass nonetheless. Either sell your stuff with few stores - like lego - or go online.

…one of these days he’s gonna get fired for cheap moves like this…make my words
My shopDisney app hasn't worked on Android in months, possibly last year.

The Disney+ app is starting to be unreliable on my Chromecast as well.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My shopDisney app hasn't worked on Android in months, possibly last year.

Tne Disney+ app is starting to be unteliable on my Chromecast as well.
Well that’s a totally different problem…

It’s horrendous

There’s no way they can explain that either other than Disney prides itself on the least productive IT ever

SuddenStorm

…one of these days he’s gonna get fired for cheap moves like this…make my words

While I would never be caught dead in a Disney store- having a physical Disney 'location' for those that either can't afford, or live too far from the parks is essential for building brand loyalty among young kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom