News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

BobPar

If park reservations go, it will all be worth it. When your policy (or position) reads like an Onion headline, you are doing it wrong.

So currently at Disney, I pay the mouse thousands of dollars for a vacation which for most includes tickets into the parks but now if I don't have a reservation to these parks I don't get in. 😐 That. Is. Insane. Make it go away.
i dk if you used FP or not and how you traveled but if you did use FP wasnt that sort of a reservation system already? same if you booked a breakfast at a specific spot close to where you planned on visiting that day? of all the moronic decisions this company has made to me this is low on the totem pole to fix... i can see the frustration i get it but there are bigger fish that needs to be fixed

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The parks are making record breaking revenue/profit. It's not in decline financially.
So a different perspective to consider.

Parks are making money because of non-traditional means. Chapek really excelled at maximizing guest revenue through non-traditional means (Genie, LL, hard ticket events, cabanas, etc.) It wasn't about growing the parks segment in the commonly thought sense to get more guests through the turnstile.

CaptainAmerica

Michael Nathanson (one of the top media analysts) - Chapek was bad because he focussed on DTC subscriber growth and not profitability.

THAT'S COMPLETELY BACKWARDS. Iger is the one who launched Disney+ at a way-too-low price. Subscribers-at-all-cost-and-screw-profitability was an Igerism that Chapek was trying to fix with the price hikes and ad tier.

Heppenheimer

They need someone to triage animation and live action. What's the last non-marvel Disney/20th Century movie anyone gave a crap about? Quietly having its worst performance since the mid 2000s. Well I guess not so quietly anymore.
Wasn't Encanto particularly well received? Given the aftermath of the pandemic and the mixed release strategy, that may not have resulted in a financial windfall (I don't know the actual numbers), but it seemed like "We Don't Talk About Bruno" was everywhere a few months ago.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They need someone to triage animation and live action. What's the last non-marvel Disney/20th Century movie anyone gave a crap about? Quietly having its worst performance since the mid 2000s. Well I guess not so quietly anymore.
Animation:

Frozen II made big money. The two that followed were released to D+ on day/date, or had a shortened theatrical run and had good ratings. But Encanto became a cultural meme.

1669038649649.png

Likewise for Pixar, Lightyear was the only one that did poorly. The others had shortened/limited theatrical release due to the pandemic, but otherwise got great ratings.
1669038823068.png

I'm not going to bother defending the Star Wars series. They've all been doing very well.

I will agree that Disney live action has done poorly with their D+ movies (with the exception of Hocus Pocus 2 which had big watch numbers).

In the end, the claim everything is bad and falling apart and failing is... false.

Yeah but I still think a lot of this is from post Covid/no mask surges. There are many who have visited the parks since changes (genie+ etc) and higher prices that say they won’t be back or as often as before. We’ll see if that’s true.

The parks need to expand, big time, and make it easier to enjoy
I’ve gone twice this year! The parks are great! No lie.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Animation:

Frozen II made big money. The two that followed were released to D+ on day/date, or had a shortened theatrical run and had good ratings. But Encanto became a cultural meme.

View attachment 679864

Likewise for Pixar, Lightyear was the only one that did poorly. The others had shortened/limited theatrical release due to the pandemic, but otherwise got great ratings.
View attachment 679865

I'm not going to bother defending the Star Wars series. They've all been doing very well.

I will agree that Disney live action has done poorly with their D+ movies (with the exception of Hocus Pocus 2 which had big watch numbers).

In the end, the claim everything is bad and falling apart and failing is... false.
Does that include marketing and the theater cut of the box office?

Grumpy4196

The Facebook group I'm in is besides themselves.. They're somehow convinced that this will benefit the parks at all... I'm at a loss as to why people are freaking out over nothing.
I don't see any immediate or short-term improvements at the parks except maybe improved CM morale. Maybe the Play pavilion gets back on track (maybe not).

SpectreJordan

Who else is getting the boot? Kathleen Kennedy seems like a good place to start
I say they should give her until Indy 5 to see if she should stay or not. It's not popular to say, but there's been some Ws under her. Honestly, I'd say it's about 50/50 for her reign; Force Awakens, Rogue One, Mandalorian & Andor are all Wins.
Nope. She was a Bob I person. It’s going to be interesting to see if they continue down the trajectory Bob I setup which lead to so much franchise damage to Star Wars and Marvel.
I feel Marvel is easier to bring back to speed than Star Wars. Phase 4 has definitely been a mixed bag but there's still been a lot of good stuff too. What they need to do is cut down on the amount of stuff they're producing. It's pretty clear that Feige & the other top creatives are being spread too thin & a lot of quality is slipping through the cracks.

Disney just needs to think smarter about Disney+ in general. With how popular it is, it shouldn't be losing money. They need to stop throwing as much crap on it as possible.

They should have some content for kids throughout the year. Then they should have 1 big show per season for adults/teens; like 2 Marvel shows, 1 Star Wars & something new or a revival of an IP per year. In addition to Marvel/Star Wars, they should be looking for the next Stranger Things or Cobra Kai. The Marvel & Star Wars IPs are big, but they shouldn't rely on them entirely for the older audiences.

They need to straight up stop doing movies for it too. Crap like the remade Pinocchio or Lady & The Tramp isn't bringing people in.

bhg469

I don't see any immediate or short-term improvements at the parks except maybe improved CM morale. Maybe the Play pavilion gets back on track (maybe not).
I cannot possibly see any change in the direction of the parks. They're making money hand over fist. People keep coming and spending more and more on the premium upgrades to their passes. Why one earth would they spend hundreds of millions when there is zero need to.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Michael Nathanson (one of the top media analysts) - Chapek was bad because he focussed on DTC subscriber growth and not profitability.

THAT'S COMPLETELY BACKWARDS. Iger is the one who launched Disney+ at a way-too-low price. Subscribers-at-all-cost-and-screw-profitability was an Igerism that Chapek was trying to fix with the price hikes and ad tier.
Does Iger roll back the price increase in two weeks then...and hope Wall Street will again focus on subscriber numbers?

Slpy3270

I have to imagine Chapek himself decided to step down and the board decided to bring back Iger as quickly as they could. No chance that all this happened in just one weekend.

Ismael Flores

Iger’s coming back to a company where the books are a complete mess. I don’t feel that Parks have been the cause of this given their profits and revenue. But let’s play Fantasy CEO a for a moment. Let’s say he does away with Genie+ and ILL and the like. Where do you make up the hundreds of millions in revenue shortfalls?
They really need to do a better job of controlling Genie+.
I was in Paris and decided to go to the resort.
Got up early made it to park before opening and the mess to enter the studio park was awful. Took me 30 minutes to get in because people sure like to cut lines and staff was short.

When I got inside the park crush coaster was already at 60 minutes then within minutes 90 minutes.
Within an hour the tiny park had wait times on everything over 60 minutes.
One thing I noticed that made Crush coaster balloon in time was the fact that there were lots of people using the paid service. Line looked like it wasn’t moving.
Then when I decided to check if it was worth paying I saw they were charging $12 or $15 can’t remember.
No way I was going to pay that price for multiple people.

That is ridiculous especially after paying a high ticket price.
Sad to say I never got to go on the coaster because the wait time just kept going up u til the app showed it closed 2 hours before park closing. The ride was open but looks like they closed off the line to accommodate those in line already.
I really felt cheated that I needed to pay extra to enjoy something that should have been part of my ticket

CJR

Stock market will be opening soon, it'll be fun to see how Wall Street reacts. I bet there'll be a spike at opening.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Indeed. Both Bobs made no secret that they were purposefully loss-leading to build up sub numbers. The same strategy that Google, Facebook, Amazon, Uber, Netflix enacted. And Wall Street rewarded them for blowing past their initial sub numbers.

Now Wall Street is blaming Disney for doing the thing they once applauded. Wall Street buoyed all the streamers until they saw it wasn't going to get them big returns quickly. And now they're dumping on them.

Cramer is crazy thinking that streaming is a failing business altogether. Despite Netflix making a profit. Despite cable cutting progressing. Crazy.

In hindsight, Disney should have been incrementally raising sub fees, but they said they were waiting until they could provide enough new content to justify it. And after spending billions on content for all their outlets, they have in place a plan to do so. But Wall Street punished them for missing an expected goal (by not much). Price increase and the ad-supported tier is in just two weeks.

And Iger will get the credit for announcing a huge jump in revenue from it...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom