News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

lazyboy97o

I imagine the monetisation of Genie and some version of what happened under Chapek was in the works under Iger, but I am struggling with this narrative that everything negative that happened under Chapek's watch was Iger's fault and everything positive that happened under Iger was due to Eisner.

Sure, Iger has been very busy massaging the narrative in his favour. I don't think he's the only one who should have sore arms at this point, though.
You are grossly misrepresenting what has been said.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I feel very much this way.

On here, understandably, people seem to think of Disney just in terms of the parks and evaluate the CEO on their perception of how the parks are being managed. The company is far more than that, though, and I find it hard to argue that Iger wasn't overall a positive in setting up Disney for the future in a way where it was to be one of if not the major player in the entertainment industry rather than a target for being swallowed up by another company that wanted to strip-mine its IP for their own ventures. Even this notion that he just acquired other IPs seems off to me, as if it were that simple every CEO of a major company would be doing that. The things Iger acquired (Pixar, Marvel, & Star Wars) with the possible exception of Fox were good fits for Disney that ultimately strengthened the company. I kind of scratch my head when people dismiss all of that and focus on the death of Touchstone Pictures.

I also feel very strongly that Iger's possession of at least some EQ, empathy, or whatever you want to call it counts for something. Iger seemed to at least realise he was dealing with human beings, both in terms of talent and customers. In that respect, the extreme turbocharging of nickle-and-diming with no regard for how it looks or feels for the customer under Chapek is probably at least less likely to happen under Iger. One thing Iger was good at unlike Chapek was attracting and keeping talent, which is overall a bonus for the company.

In sum, I find all this reflexive negativity suggesting Iger is just as bad as Chapek and things will be no better under him a little too gloomy. He's certainly not the saviour of the parks and doesn't seem to really care that much about them, but Chapek was objectively terrible in a way at least I don't think Iger was when you look at the company as a whole.
Iger is much better than Slaphead…

But he made tons of mistakes and really put the parks in particular in a bind…amongst other things.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I imagine the monetisation of Genie and some version of what happened under Chapek was in the works under Iger, but I am struggling with this narrative that everything negative that happened under Chapek's watch was Iger's fault and everything positive that happened under Iger was due to Eisner.

Sure, Iger has been very busy massaging the narrative in his favour. I don't think he's the only one who should have sore arms at this point, though.
Chapek didn’t have enough time to start anything. It’s pretty easy to analyze the lack of time to get anything going in his “tenure”

They’re dumping every bad Iger move on chapek…

Pretty open progression

Vegas Disney Fan

I don’t think Igers a saint either, I just don’t see the line connecting the dots that others see.

I don’t think anything happens at Disney in a vacuum, there’s a dozen hands on everything, but I also don’t think Igers the puppet master pulling Chapeks strings, he had 2 decades at the helm to make these massive changes, if he’s the man behind them I don’t see why he wouldn’t have done them himself when he had full control.

I associate many of the positive park changes to Staggs so I really hope they bring him back, as a (recent) former parks exec I suppose he’s probably intertwined with all these horrible changes also though. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Vegas Disney Fan

The parks were amazing before 2020? I felt they really started to dip in quality around 2016. Many would argue before then, but that’s when it became most notable to me

I think it’s all relative, I miss the days of us complaining about price hikes, FP+, IP relevance, etc… compared to reservations, G+, AP changes, magical express, etc those all seem so minor now.

SilentWindODoom

So, one thing that has been suggested to point to nothing changing for the better is how much of the things that happened weren't Chapek's idea.

True, but how many people know that? It's a risk to admit your own mistakes for many reasons. But Iger is coming back and really hitting hard on how much Chapek screwed everything up.

Could he be swooping in with the hindsight of how much these ideas have caused a stir and with the freedom to roll back things he implemented given that he can blame it all on Chapek with a contract keeping Chapek from contradicting it?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery - For my El Camino
Premium Member
My take on Eisner is that he genuinely wanted to do what was best for Parks&Resorts and the brand. He did make some poor decisions. And made a few awful ones.

But every EPCOT resort you stay at was green lit by him. So was DHS. And AK. And PI, the water parks, Downtown Disney, DVC, Disney Cruise Line, the moderates et al.

Iger wanted to achieve balance. And make everybody happy.

Chapek was a clown.

Eisner took risks. And not all worked out. But a few did. And WDW is better for it.

Iger is a smooth talking politician (used car salesman). You’ll always hear what you want out of him.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

You keep saying that but without proof I will continue to believe what I saw over 20 years rather than what people believe happened over the last 20 years.

The question was why people believe the parks will be better under Iger, I answered why for myself. You may be right but I sure hope I am, under your theory the parks are doomed to continue along the path they’re on, under mine they improve, time will tell.

You’ll never change your mind, I’ll never change my mind, nothing wrong with that, have a great Thanksgiving.
The way I see it was Iger always wanted to do a lot of these things. He also wanted to do it slowly so it didn't draw so much negative PR. Then Covid happened and gave them the excuse needed to change things.

Tha Realest

My take on Eisner is that he genuinely wanted to do what was best for Parks&Resorts and the brand. He did make some poor decisions. And made a few awful ones.

But every EPCOT resort you stay at was green lit by him. So was DHS. And AK. And PI, the water parks, Downtown Disney, DVC, Disney Cruise Line, the moderates et al.

Iger wanted to achieve balance. And make everybody happy.

Chapek was a clown.

Eisner took risks. And not all worked out. But a few did. And WDW is better for it.

Iger is a smooth talking politician (used car salesman). You’ll always hear what you want out of him.
Let’s not forget the hotels. All of the truly great resort hotels were built during Eisner and before. After him? Pretty below average if not terrible.

Vegas Disney Fan

The way I see it was Iger always wanted to do a lot of these things. He also wanted to do it slowly so it didn't draw so much negative PR. Then Covid happened and gave them the excuse needed to change things.
Possible, he had 20 years though, as I said earlier if this was his plan all along it’s the longest long game ever.

That or Chapek pounced as soon as he became CEO and implemented all the plans he wanted as parks chairman but couldn’t because Iger had the final say. One seems more likely to me but I’ll openly admit it’s 100% speculation, both are equally possible.

BobPar

Let’s not forget the hotels. All of the truly great resort hotels were built during Eisner and before. After him? Pretty below average if not terrible.
I know people talk about Eisner’s 2nd half being terrible… what would be some of his biggest mistakes thats people say were awful etc?

Jrb1979

Possible, he had 20 years though, as I said earlier if this was his plan all along it’s the longest long game ever.

That or Chapek pounced as soon as he became CEO and implemented all the plans he wanted as parks chairman but couldn’t because Iger had the final say. One seems more likely to me but I’ll openly admit it’s 100% speculation, both are equally possible.
While he had 20 years, I don't think any of these changes were thought til closer to when Genie was first announced. IMO if Iger never left these changes would have happened but would have rolled out a lot slower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom