News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Sir_Cliff

Iger is much better than Slaphead…

But he made tons of mistakes and really put the parks in particular in a bind…amongst other things.
See, that I completely agree with!

I don’t think Igers a saint either, I just don’t see the line connecting the dots that others see.

I don’t think anything happens at Disney in a vacuum, there’s a dozen hands on everything, but I also don’t think Igers the puppet master pulling Chapeks strings, he had 2 decades at the helm to make these massive changes, if he’s the man behind them I don’t see why he wouldn’t have done them himself when he had full control.

I associate many of the positive park changes to Staggs so I really hope they bring him back, as a (recent) former parks exec I suppose he’s probably intertwined with all these horrible changes also though. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I tend to agree with all of this, too. There seems to be some room for nuance here. For example, the Lake Nona move appears to have been in the works when Iger was CEO. However, I've seen the suggestion that Chapek took a hardline approach that Iger is not likely to have taken which drove a mass exodus of talent all for the planned move likely being abandoned. I think a similar thing can be said about Genie+, etc. A lot of those ideas were almost certainly being incubated while Iger was CEO, but it was Chapek who declared that the pandemic meant that they could cast off taboos and do all the things they had been wanting to do for a long time leading to a sudden lurch in a direction most people don't seem to like and has led to a lot of bad press.

BobPar

The biggest knock on Eisner from my perspective is how the parks stagnated in the mid to late 90’s to the mid 00’s.
He did build AK during that time… i dk enough of the history of why many insiders & knowledgable Disney people here say his 2h was unforgettable but i truly would like to be educated on what are the main reasons for this assessment

Vegas Disney Fan

I know people talk about Eisner’s 2nd half being terrible… what would be some of his biggest mistakes thats people say were awful etc?

I think he lost his nerve after Euro Disney, he went from money is no object ideas to keep building but do it as cheaply as possible.

DCA was horrible, MGM studios was a half day park at best, AK was better than MGM but cutting Beastly Kingdom and adding Chester and Hester was a horrible money driven decision.

Overall Eisner was great because he laid the foundation for what we have now, without him WDW is probably 3 parks at most and half the number of hotels. Quantity over quality but it forced Iger to spend money I don’t think he would have if he weren’t forced too.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery - For my El Camino
Premium Member
He did build AK during that time… i dk enough of the history of why many insiders & knowledgable Disney people here say his 2h was unforgettable but i truly would like to be educated on what are the main reasons for this assessment
Yes you did have AK. But not much else. But I think a lot is based on perception.

At least from the Orlando perspective- Uni was starting to come into its own at that point after about a decade. Other things were happening.

Perception that Eisner wasn’t moving fast enough (at least in Orlando). A view I don’t necessarily agree with.

Sir_Cliff

I know people talk about Eisner’s 2nd half being terrible… what would be some of his biggest mistakes thats people say were awful etc?
1669331009558.png

1669332168880.png

1669332240252.png

1669332374811.png

1669332408659.png

1669332660453.png

1669332475947.png

1669332511639.png

Disney was super cheap and tacky by the end of that period.

Attachments

• 1669332214790.png
    1669332214790.png
    676.6 KB · Views: 38

BobPar

I think he lost his nerve after Euro Disney, he went from money is not object ideas to keep building but do it as cheaply as possible.

DCA was horrible, MGM studios was a half day park at best, AK was better than MGM but cutting Beastly Kingdom and adding Chester and Hester was a horrible money driven decision.

Overall Eisner was great because he laid the foundation for what we have now, without him WDW is probably 3 parks at most and half the number of hotels. Quantity over quality but it forced Iger to spend money I don’t think he would have if he weren’t forced too.
Eisner is gone almost 2 decades and AK and HS are both still half day parks imo lol…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom