Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

jt04

This is one of the reasons I think they choose DAK over the other parks to upgrade first. It is the most difficult park to hop to another park so that gives people incentive to stay around.

I'd recommend a leisurely dinner outdoors soaking in the atmosphere. That is how this theme park differs from all others.

Of course it still needs another land or two with e-tickets.

Oh, I meant to add that DAK is difficult to leave from especially if considering going to Universal from DAK. Just saying. It is a very long drive that time of day. :D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is one of the reasons I think they choose DAK over the other parks to upgrade first. It is the most difficult park to hop to another park so that gives people incentive to stay around.
Oh the contrary it is not. DAK is as easy as Epcot to enter and leave. Direct grade separated slips and a parking lot next to the gate. The other two are worse. Unless you're stuck at an unmagical bus stop.

When Avatar was agreed they wanted an available IP that was a big catch. Avatar was available. And it had jungle and greenery and environmental hoo har so was a fit for a theme park severely lacking in things to do (as opposed to a zoological park)

Last edited:

jt04

Oh the contrary it is not. DAK is as easy as Epcot to enter and leave. Direct slips and a lot next to the gate. The other two are worse. Unless you're stuck at an unmagical bus stop.

I have yet to find a magical bus stop or bus. I prefer driving or monorail if park hopping. Guessing I am not the only one.

jt04

Indeed. Hence DAK is as easy as Epcot to drive oneself to or from.

I wouldn't say easy. DAK is my least favorite park to hop from. I enjoy walking from Epcot to the studios. At night it is an amazing sight. And of course MK to Epcot and back is the always fun monorail. DAK is a tram ride thru an endless parking lot to get to a hot car or a bus packed with sweaty tourists mildewed after too many kali trips.

IMO of course. Not being argumentative.

CinematicFusion

AK is going to be very interesting to watch once Avatar and Rivers of light open. I'm hoping it all works out with the crowds. I see one side of the park being jam packed at night and the other side with no one around.

Jim hill said in a podcast Disney has its B-team working on Rivers Of Light. The A-team said a good show couldn't be done and didn't want to be involved.
Not sure how true that is? It's a shame. Hannibal, faceman, B.A. and Murdock always seemed to find away. Guess this one finally stumped them.

FullSailDan

I think the night time crowd dispersal is a big part of all this picture but I will counter that it isn't completely working. DHS actually has two pretty large crowd draws at the moment with Fantasmic and Frozen Fireworks (actually an awesome fireworks display even if you aren't a Frozen fan). DHS has been getting pretty crowded the last few weeks when I've been in the evenings, but MK is still absolutely slammed every night. At this point, mid day MK is becoming more problematic. The early morning crowds haven't quite had their fill before heading out to other parks, a parade is going on, and evening crowds are starting to stroll in.

Point being, the other parks need to find some daytime draws. I think DHS Star Wars and Pixar will go a long way, Avatar will initially help as people see it for the first time, EPCOT literally has nothing but lunch options and soon A (emphasis singular) Frozen attraction(that won't draw crowds forever).

We've got some wishing to do....

ToTBellHop

Might be an uptick in FOLK attendance during those hours?

Animals in the morning, early afternoon, rides/FOLK in the early evening before Rivers?
Personally, I'll just park-hop to AK for the evenings where I want to see RoL. But, I've never been one to stay in a single theme park for the entire day. I get tired of seeing the same sweaty, fat, smelly people and crave a new group of the same breed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I'd recommend a leisurely dinner outdoors soaking in the atmosphere. That is how this theme park differs from all others.

Of course it still needs another land or two with e-tickets.

I would agree with this, unless you have a car people are going to tend not to leave DAK and come back. I think what people may end up doing is starting their day later in AK, and then staying for dinner then Rivers of Light.

RSoxNo1

Avatar and Rivers of Light will both be good things for DAK, but the other side of the park needs something else substantial as well. The easy thing would be to add substance to Dinorama or Asia, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

I suspect they will pitch the nighttime Safari as a separate experience and attempt to get people to ride the attraction twice per day. When you factor in wait and ride time you're looking at an hour each time.

UpAllNight

I love Animal Kingdom so much, but I did everything and it was also on a busy day. Did Dinosaur 3 times, Everest twice...walked all the trails and watched every show other than the Flights of Wonder due to timings. It just needs more and there's so much potential that it's frustrating. I find it unbelievable there's no Jungle Book ride; the music alone would make it unforgettable.

Mat Cauthon

I would agree with this, unless you have a car people are going to tend not to leave DAK and come back. I think what people may end up doing is starting their day later in AK, and then staying for dinner then Rivers of Light.
Every day on our trips tend to be one park in the morning and another in the evening. We always go back to the resort in the afternoon to cool off, let the kids rest (and adults!) and maybe swim a little. Gets us our second wind for the long days and keeps the kids from wearing down during a long week. We never spend an entire day in one park without leaving and rarely leave then come back to the same park.

Edit to add I was agreeing with your statement because it sounds exactly like something we would do :)

CinematicFusion

I love Animal Kingdom so much, but I did everything and it was also on a busy day. Did Dinosaur 3 times, Everest twice...walked all the trails and watched every show other than the Flights of Wonder due to timings. It just needs more and there's so much potential that it's frustrating. I find it unbelievable there's no Jungle Book ride; the music alone would make it unforgettable.
I'm with you there. I jungle book dark ride would be perfect at animal kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom