Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

FullSailDan

What I think it ultimately comes down to is that people are going to absolutely FLOOD WDW for it's 50th anniversary. It's obviously something that's going to be heavily promoted, and it's a once in a lifetime event for so many WDW fanatics. Management has to realize that with the capacity issues they're facing now with no significant event or new attractions opened they must start drastically increasing capacity to deal with the undoubtedly HUGE crowds WDW will be seeing in about five years. I believe we'll be seeing quite a bit of money flowing into the parks over the next five years, not because anyone in the company wants to spend money down in the swamps, but simply because they absolutely have to. They literally have no choice but to spend at this point.

Meh... 50th anniversary is cool but doesn't really cause a "flood" of people. There may be a big rush on THE day. Afterwards it just becomes the newest wave of marketing materials for people who are probably browsing for vacations already. Like "coolest summer ever" or "New Fantasy Land", people who aren't in the loop have no idea it's going on. There has to always be SOMETHING to promote in the commercials for a call to action. I'm with you though that they HAVE to spend money on expansion, not really to deal with a crowds related to the 50th, but because of the crowds already occurring.

dizneycrazy09

Meh... 50th anniversary is cool but doesn't really cause a "flood" of people. There may be a big rush on THE day. Afterwards it just becomes the newest wave of marketing materials for people who are probably browsing for vacations already. Like "coolest summer ever" or "New Fantasy Land", people who aren't in the loop have no idea it's going on. There has to always be SOMETHING to promote in the commercials for a call to action. I'm with you though that they HAVE to spend money on expansion, not really to deal with a crowds related to the 50th, but because of the crowds already occurring.

I can't say I agree with you. If WDW's 50th is treated like it's 25th (please god without the birthday cake) or DL's 50th, I think 2021 will be the year that most "every few year" families will choose to visit. I do believe that crowds will be significantly higher in 2021 directly because of the 50th.

dumboflyer

Interestingly, November 15 of this year (roughly 4 months from now) will be the 50th anniversary of the press conference in which Walt, Roy, and the FL Gov. announced the "Florida Project" to the general public.

And although the announced figure at the time was $100m, most agree that the actual dollar figure was $400m for the initial project. $400m in 1965 dollars, adjusted for inflation, is $3bn today.

From press conference to opening day in 1971 was just under 6 years. Current project under discussion is said to be completed in 2021, 6 years from now.

(Please note that I am not inferring that this current project is on par with the 1971 opening of WDW. Just showing a few interesting parallels in the numbers and dates.)

Goofyernmost

This is not entirely true. Any changes to have an impact on storm water management have to be approved by the South Florida Water Management district and that approval is not always a rubber stamp. Disney put in a permit almost a year ago to allow them to impact more wetlands and it's still waiting to be approved.
Really? I didn't know that. I still have the feeling that with a little tweaking it will go through. Probably a peeing contest between the two. I did realize that they still had someone watching them, but, I didn't believe they were watching very closely. That might explain why they really haven't started much at DHS yet, I think, if I remember some distant thoughts on the project, that area was going to require a wetland movement by the present entrance road to DHS. I know at one point they were talking about adding another different entrance to the park. That would have opened up a big space running alongside the old backlot/CC part of the park.

mahnamahna101

Probably why New Frontierland is even being considered. I wouldn't be shocked if we get 2-3 new attractions (one E, one or two Bs/Cs) a new restaurant and the reopening of Horseshoe/Polly's. Plus, revamps for Big Thunder and Country Bears.

$500-600 million ought to be enough for that, so long as they don't have to completely rework backstage.

While too good to be true, I'd love to see New Tomorrowland, New Frontierland and Star Wars Land all open around 2021... never going to happen lol... but it'd sure be nice.

doctornick

The problem is, will these things also draw more people to WDW in general, which could offset the people being pulled away from MK to the other parks. I would bet that 99% of the people who take a vacation at WDW will spend at least some time at MK, so anything that draws more people to WDW is going to cause in increase in MK attendance even if those things are in other parks.

That's true, but ultimately the issue for Disney is to make some of those people who go to MK 4-5 days during a weeklong vacation go there only 2-3 days by having more stuff at the other parks. If they can do that, it will reduce crowding at MK somewhat (which, agree, may be offset by increased numbers of guests in an absolute sense).

jt04

That's true, but ultimately the issue for Disney is to make some of those people who go to MK 4-5 days during a weeklong vacation go there only 2-3 days by having more stuff at the other parks. If they can do that, it will reduce crowding at MK somewhat (which, agree, may be offset by increased numbers of guests in an absolute sense).

Nightime DAK/Pandora should be effective. But SW/Pixar/dhs makeover will seal the deal. I still think there are people out there that do not think the other parks are worthwhile. They need to change that misunderstanding. MK is 4th on my list personally.

IMO.

Cesar R M

Well that does tend to put that paradigm in... how you say.... "A Spot of Bother"
got you covered..
g6Srk5P.jpg

jt04

For a lot of guests there's still going to be a void to fill between late afternoon and the evening.

This is one of the reasons I think they choose DAK over the other parks to upgrade first. It is the most difficult park to hop to another park so that gives people incentive to stay around.

I'd recommend a leisurely dinner outdoors soaking in the atmosphere. That is how this theme park differs from all others.

Of course it still needs another land or two with e-tickets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom