Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

Cesar R M

Ok, I'll finally stop being a lurker and pop my commenting cherry. Wait times during summer and christmas have always been stupid ridiculous. Back when I worked in the resorts we got notification on the flash reports of 2 hour waits to get quick service meals in tomorrowland. FP+ isn't driving the extended long lines, lack of content to soak up guests is. When you are operating at peak numbers, the park will not be comfortable.

There's a good chance the new plans being pushed in MK are not because someone finally convinced senior leadership its a good idea. Rather, the park is on the verge of violating fire code every day right now and needs additional space. The hub redesign wasn't because someone thought it would be fun, but because the existing infrastructure didn't meet code in the event of an emergency.
I wonder if in 10 years.. they will need to "lift" the buildings from their foundations in City Square and Main Street, to make them wider.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Ok, I'll finally stop being a lurker and pop my commenting cherry. Wait times during summer and christmas have always been stupid ridiculous. Back when I worked in the resorts we got notification on the flash reports of 2 hour waits to get quick service meals in tomorrowland. FP+ isn't driving the extended long lines, lack of content to soak up guests is. When you are operating at peak numbers, the park will not be comfortable.

There's a good chance the new plans being pushed in MK are not because someone finally convinced senior leadership its a good idea. Rather, the park is on the verge of violating fire code every day right now and needs additional space. The hub redesign wasn't because someone thought it would be fun, but because the existing infrastructure didn't meet code in the event of an emergency.

well... that and the fact that they can let more gue$t$ in$ide the park now...:)

doctornick

AK is getting a lot of love right now when you look at it. I hope they continue the love and continue to fix and update this park as they have been over the past few years. Everest I don't think we will ever see it the way it was designed.

DAK is getting love and its great. I would argue, however, that even once RoL/night safaris/Pandora is all up and running, that DAK still would need an expansion of a few more rides and maybe a larger scale daytime show to fully occupy everyone for a full day. Yes, there will be plenty to do given all the live animal encounters, but the park will still be too short on rides once Pandora opens (will only have 8-9 rides depending on whether to count the train).

doctornick

There is the long speculated Moderate Disney's Vacation Club concept.

Indeed. And I would suspect that the reason why it is even being considered is because the Moderates don't have occupancy as high as it "could be". Which is why I don't think any new Moderates would be build (which was the topic I responding to). Any new resort is likely to be a Deluxe/DVC or a Value.

gmajew

Premium Member
DAK is getting love and its great. I would argue, however, that even once RoL/night safaris/Pandora is all up and running, that DAK still would need an expansion of a few more rides and maybe a larger scale daytime show to fully occupy everyone for a full day. Yes, there will be plenty to do given all the live animal encounters, but the park will still be too short on rides once Pandora opens (will only have 8-9 rides depending on whether to count the train).

I personally feel with the animal exhibits this park if you do everything it has to offer is a full day. Those that don't enjoy the parks and the animals are not ever going to be satisfied at this park and they will be missing the best part of the park in my opinion.

John93

I was just down there about a month ago - and my god do they have so much untapped land to work with. That park is absolutely massive. One thing I will say - I love WDW, always have and awlays will. However, after visiting Disneyland for the first time a week ago, I can say that DL and DCA are actual complete theme parks. The rides there all look great, they're kept up to date, and they are fun to ride. I feel like DW is stuck in the 1990's/early 2000's still. Anyone with me on this?

Buzz looks awful, Stitch is awful, Peter Pan (the actual ride not the queue) is very plain, and BTMRR, Pirates, and Space could all use a refurb. I understand the predicament they're in - you cant just close these popular attractions because of how many people spend insane amounts of money to visit year round, but at some point you have to rip the band-aid off and just get this stuff done. Same goes for DHS and EPCOT, both parks are in major need of some new life!

SJN1279

I was just down there about a month ago - and my god do they have so much untapped land to work with. That park is absolutely massive. One thing I will say - I love WDW, always have and awlays will. However, after visiting Disneyland for the first time a week ago, I can say that DL and DCA are actual complete theme parks. The rides there all look great, they're kept up to date, and they are fun to ride. I feel like DW is stuck in the 1990's/early 2000's still. Anyone with me on this?

Buzz looks awful, Stitch is awful, Peter Pan (the actual ride not the queue) is very plain, and BTMRR, Pirates, and Space could all use a refurb. I understand the predicament they're in - you cant just close these popular attractions because of how many people spend insane amounts of money to visit year round, but at some point you have to rip the band-aid off and just get this stuff done. Same goes for DHS and EPCOT, both parks are in major need of some new life!

I like DCA, but I always found Disneyland itself to have small walkways and be very congested. Also the themed lands tend to run into each other due to lack of space. You can see Splash Mountain from the Haunted Mansion, and it totally throws off any kind of thematic element. I do love Indy though! The queue for Pirates is horrendous in Disneyland as well.

BrerJon

I've never understood why complaints from guests about attractions being closed are more valued by Disney than complaints from guests about attractions not working, being unsafe, or being in a dilapidated state.

FullSailDan

It's important to note that much of the land owned is promised to be wildlife preservation area. Something like 25%. Still there is tons of land to work with.

FullSailDan

I've never understood why complaints from guests about attractions being closed are more valued by Disney than complaints from guests about attractions not working, being unsafe, or being in a dilapidated state.

Safety will ALWAYS be number one concern. I don't think there has ever been a complaint about safety ignored.

Pretty sure guest complaints are not driving attractions being open in the MK while show elements are less than optimal. The park can't close attractions right now for refurbs and still meet guest capacity/demand. Hence the need for expansion, and people eaters to give imagineers some breathing room when working on repairs.

ToTBellHop

Safety will ALWAYS be number one concern. I don't think there has ever been a complaint about safety ignored.

Pretty sure guest complaints are not driving attractions being open in the MK while show elements are less than optimal. The park can't close attractions right now for refurbs and still meet guest capacity/demand. Hence the need for expansion, and people eaters to give imagineers some breathing room when working on repairs.
Safety certainly isn't sacrificed usually (slippery Pirates boats notwithstanding), but complaints about closures certainly do lead to Disney avoiding refurbs for something as "trivial" as broken showpieces.

BrerJon

Safety certainly isn't sacrificed usually (slippery Pirates boats notwithstanding), but complaints about closures certainly do lead to Disney avoiding refurbs for something as "trivial" as broken showpieces.

I was going to say plenty of people feel that Pirates is an accident waiting to happen - oh wait, it did, someone lost a thumb - but Disney's only response was to *shorten* the refurbishment - they really don't seem to care about anything other than the bottom line.

I know I certainly don't feel safe riding Space Mountain in the Magic Kingdom while the current casual attitude to maintenance is in place, it's only a matter of time before something goes very badly wrong.

FullSailDan

I just have to disagree, the company isn't really concerned about backlash to temporary outages on a ride for refurb. They post the notice, they apologize to guests who complain in park, and move on. It's not the driving force behind not going down for refurb or repair. It has way more to do with scheduling(labor and part availability),park capacity, and funding. Sure there are times when "everything should be on display" but usually that centers around a peak time, major event, etc.(Christmas, NFL "opening", 24 hour night) and usually there is a FLURRY of activity weeks before trying to get everything in the best shape they can. It isn't always perfect, sometimes real issues are discovered during it.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
What if it is a mixed resort. I think it is time for a new moderate resort. I belive the last was coranado in the late 1990s. That being said we have built probably half a dozen delux/dvc resorts or expansions since as well as at least 2-3 value resorts. Meaning the moderate invintory has not changed, and I think it is time to expand this. That being said I would not be suprise with there being a DVC component to this. In regards to the fear that it will be cheaper than other DVC let me assure you it wont, Disney is not going to lose a chance to make cash! It would in essance be two resorts, think port orleans if french quater was villas and the Riverside was traditional lodging. You satisfy both needs a new moderate resort partly paid for by the inclusion of a DVC section containing the same amenities as a normal DVC but keeping points and price stable in the DVC market. Satisfying guest demands both DVC owners who want a moderate experiance, and the rest of us who want a step up from the AoA

ToTBellHop

What if it is a mixed resort. I think it is time for a new moderate resort. I belive the last was coranado in the late 1990s. That being said we have built probably half a dozen delux/dvc resorts or expansions since as well as at least 2-3 value resorts. Meaning the moderate invintory has not changed, and I think it is time to expand this. That being said I would not be suprise with there being a DVC component to this. In regards to the fear that it will be cheaper than other DVC let me assure you it wont, Disney is not going to lose a chance to make cash! It would in essance be two resorts, think port orleans if french quater was villas and the Riverside was traditional lodging. You satisfy both needs a new moderate resort partly paid for by the inclusion of a DVC section containing the same amenities as a normal DVC but keeping points and price stable in the DVC market. Satisfying guest demands both DVC owners who want a moderate experiance, and the rest of us who want a step up from the AoA
It's not they they dole these out like Christmas presents and need to maintain equality among all three types. Any decision to expand within a class of Resort Hotel would be based solely upon occupancy rates and where demand is. Honestly, I think more likely than new resorts are expansions to existing ones. Like a new tower for Contemporary.

Cesar R M

which is also ironic, because they close restaurants that do not need refurbs.. while their other restaurants barely can keep with the load.

Goofyernmost

which is also ironic, because they close restaurants that do not need refurbs.. while their other restaurants barely can keep with the load.
The key word there is "barely". If they are able to keep up, even barely, then the other location is pure unnecessary physical overhead. Of course, that doesn't really take into account the psychological damage that is creacted by the bad feelings that the guest experience. However, accountants have no direct line or experience with the mentality of people, only the net worth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom