Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

Captain Neo

3 billion would be jaw dropper

Not really WDW is totally rundown at this point with so much wasted space and closed attractions. It's gotten to the point where all the stateside parks are suffering from nightmarish overcrowding. Honestly to really modernize Disney and give it that true competitive edge and huge lead they used to have back in the 70s, 80s, 90s they would probably need 4 billion. Remember that it costs a lot of money to demolition existing infrastructure and that most of these new rides will be a mix of attractions that rely on video projection as opposed to real immservie environments with audio animatronics, real sets, physical effects, etc. and off the shelf carnival-esque attractions.

FrankLapidus

That's a staggering amount of money. DHS obviously needs a pretty staggering overhaul but I still wasn't expecting a budget that high.

I'd love for Indiana Jones to retain some sort of presence in the park but my gut feeling is that that little nugget of information in the article is the one that should be taken with the largest grain of salt.

With that sort of budget I'm expecting Star Wars in particular to blow pretty much everything else out of the water. My expectation level for it now is heading skyward, with that much money to play with Disney could really create a jaw-dropper of a land with that IP.

I'll wait for D23 with nervous expectation.

doctornick

Not everyone doesn't want RSR because it's similar to Test Track. I don't want RSR because we already have a phenomenal cars land at Disneyland, and I'd rather have a unique land at DHS. A single attraction being ported- Indiana jones, mystic manor, etc- I'm ok with. But a land- I want something unique.

I'd be interested in a similar Cars Land (in terms of appearance/layout) at DHS but with totally different attractions. So, not RSR but a different anchor ride. Have Ramone's be something like the Goofy Paint House rather than a shop. Have Luigi's be an Italian restaurant where the tables are made of wheels, etc.

doctornick

Isn't it $3B For DHS?(DHA???? Is DHA just about official now?) Not the whole Resort? Why would MK get some of that money?
I don't recall seeing $3B before the article, did I totally miss that.

It's not certain, but insiders here have indicated that the bulk of the money if going to DHS but some money is going to the other parks. I would guess that if the $3B number if accurate that it is for the whole resort and probably $2-2.5B of that is going to DHS alone.

FrankLapidus

One question for anyone who might know, can/should we expect more Pixar properties to feature in the Pixar Place expansion than Toy Story and Cars?

First the BOD approves the BUDGET for the whole company in the Annual Budget process.....gee please people. I mean splitting hairs....WDW or DHS....that is NOT THE POINT! The only reason the BOD was here off the NORMAL COMPANYWIDE budget process is because is the size of the Capital being proposed.....I am sure at the ANNUAL the cost was NOT KNOWN.....so because of that the BOD is bought in to approve the CAP Spending because of the size and because they do not want to wait until the Annual....hence why they were here....JUST COMMON SENSE.

3 billion...sorry the size in 2015 dollars makes PERFECT SENSE......how much did Ballmer pay for the Clippers in the NBA? Disney spends over 200 million on one movie.....the 3 billion is meant to last decades.....so NO the 3 billion is not STAGGERING in 2015 terms when you are rebuilding a park built for 800 million over 20 years ago.

The reason it is believable is because of how BODs work.....if you think you would see all the closings at DHS, the release of the new Star Wars, comments from Iger, infrastructure projects and more as clear indication of the sheer cost and plan. BODs again DO NOT come unless Major Money is involved! And the fact they came separate from ANNUAL BUDGET approval is significant no matter what the DOUBTING THOMASES understand or not!

Cesar R M

Fact is the 3 billion is right in line with Board coming to meet and see in Orlando. How some thought that the BOD would come for a Quarterly or Regular meeting is just WRONG! The sheer size of the Capital being discussed could only be done with Board Approval! So this makes perfect sense. As for IJA, I will say look for this to be arriving very soon here in LBV. Iger is plain and simple a Cali Boy, however, the sheer size of WDW forces him to make his biggest Cap on Star Wars and Pixar here. Disneyland is nothing more than a 2 to 3 day MAX venture and having been there many times they have NO PLACE to make this investment! Anaheim simply put could be put into a corner of WDW. Plus all the regulations and approvals needed would be nightmare in Anaheim. WDW is primed and let us all be CLEAR.....WDW dwarfs anything in the Disney Empire PERIOD!! 30,000 hotel rooms...end of story. Iger has no love of Florida we all know that.....but with Orlando the MONSTER destination it is and the EXPOSURE Iger has to make his play with the Studios and also Epcot.

Universal and Comcast see that, Sea World sees that, the massive attraction expansion happening on I-Drive sees that, the new hotels from the Planet Hollywood Resort to the I-Drive Solis Resort to Emirates flying non-stop from Dubai see that. Orlando is without question at the FOREFRONT and Iger knows NOWHERE on planet earth can you make a Star Wars play EXCEPT WDW. Yes Disneyland will get Star Wars so will others but the BOD was here for one thing: APPROVAL OF MASSIVE CAP EXP here.

The Studios was built for around 800 million, this project of REBRANDING will be north of 3 billion and that is totally separate from AK (AVATAR and Disney Springs!!) Also EPCOT will have some cool news as well!

As for me personally and my boss Iger made massive blunder ignoring WDW for too long and he needs a GRAND SLAM to put WDW at the forefront of PLACE TO GO AND BE! which is where WDW was until he let it fall.
welcome to the forum btw.

Cesar R M

The article claims "our reliable source", singular. I think the rest of the source material is other leaks and posts from people such as those here. I guess we just add one more "source" that says "lots of money...Pixar...Star Wars...possibly something else.
well. I can quote @WDW1974 and claim "I have a reliable source".
Doesn't means he could get it from other sources lol.

Cesar R M

Which is why our insiders' collective jaws dropped last week.
now let's hope these numbers stay up and the "strategic planning" (aka the "cut everything that isnt bolted down" crew) dont damage the number.

Not really WDW is totally rundown at this point with so much wasted space and closed attractions. It's gotten to the point where all the stateside parks are suffering from nightmarish overcrowding. Honestly to really modernize Disney and give it that true competitive edge and huge lead they used to have back in the 70s, 80s, 90s they would probably need 4 billion. Remember that it costs a lot of money to demolition existing infrastructure and that most of these new rides will be a mix of attractions that rely on video projection as opposed to real immservie environments with audio animatronics, real sets, physical effects, etc. and off the shelf carnival-esque attractions.
but isn't the current infrastructure just.. empty lands, unused studios buildings, soundstages..etc..(which can be demolished quite quickly?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom