Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
What if you're fiscally conservative but have a socially liberal streak, are super wishy washy about this legislation, feel the parents and people who support this legislation do have a beef, don't feel like this legislation really addresses this beef, hate masks but still followed the rules, think lockdowns were a joke but fully backed vaccines, and blame inflation and gas prices on COVID, this administration, and Russia, and think social media is the root cause of all evil :) ?

lazyboy97o

Who judges the intent of the lawmakers actions? As we've seen with numerous pieces of "controversial" legislation from state to federal often the intent of the authors radically differs from the actual result of implementation. Legislation like this rarely is 1+1=2. Pick any widely publicized law like a say The ACA (Obama Care) and hold it to the same standards you are holding this to with regards to intent.
The authors and sponsors have made statements.

Then there should be no objection to the bill. I for one do not think children of eight or under should be taught about sex in schools. The bill is intended to prevent this. If it pre-empts schools adding it to the curriculum then that is the intention. It is not an anti gay bill.
Was DeSantis planning to add this to the curriculum? Was a school district? Why do the authors and sponsors mention gay people if it’s not their intent?

jinx8402

Then there should be no objection to the bill. I for one do not think children of eight or under should be taught about sex in schools. The bill is intended to prevent this. If it pre-empts schools adding it to the curriculum then that is the intention. It is not an anti gay bill. Perhaps the Disney employees who object to this do not understand what the bill is for. They are perfectly entitled to 'educating' their children on the sex practices they think appropriate. I find it disgusting that Disney does not support parents' rights to teach their children about sex at whatever age they - the parents - deem appropriate. School is to teach reading and math. If a child has 2 mommies or 2 daddies then children of this age just accept it without explanation or can ask their parents if they are curious.
You know, several people keep going on about reading the bill and then spouse the bolded. You realize, no-where in the bill is there anything about sex or sexual behavior.

Gender Identity & sexual orientation =!= teaching about the act of sex

Bill in Atlanta

That's problematic for me.

A kid talking about their mom and dad is fine, but a kid talking about mom and mom goes to the guidance counselor?
No. I was commenting on your hypothetical scenario in which a child is being teased by another child about having a gay sibling. Normally, the teacher who becomes aware of such behavior would refer the situation to guidance, who would then (after some initial fact-finding) get the parents involved if necessary.

willf

Then there should be no objection to the bill. I for one do not think children of eight or under should be taught about sex in schools. The bill is intended to prevent this. If it pre-empts schools adding it to the curriculum then that is the intention. It is not an anti gay bill. Perhaps the Disney employees who object to this do not understand what the bill is for. They are perfectly entitled to 'educating' their children on the sex practices they think appropriate. I find it disgusting that Disney does not support parents' rights to teach their children about sex at whatever age they - the parents - deem appropriate. School is to teach reading and math. If a child has 2 mommies or 2 daddies then children of this age just accept it without explanation or can ask their parents if they are curious.
My concern is that if a school confined its purpose to the communication of dry facts in isolation, we’d wind up with an atomized society with no shared values. Schools, in my view, ultimately need to form students as members of a culture, not just productive agents.

(Also: sex is biology, ultimately, as well as anthropology, sociology, psychology, and ethics, all of which fall within even a narrower conception of a school’s remit. Personally I’d prefer any, admittedly hypothetical, children of mine to have some grounding in these phenomena *before* their bodies start producing hormones that dramatically alter their cognitive and emotional processing.)

Lord Starwalker

Communicora

Premium Member
This article has an interesting quote about Chapek

“Chapek has had to deal with a series of catastrophes,” notes Peter Newman, the head of NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts’ MBA/MFA program, who observes that Chapek took over the company when COVID was upending the media and theme park businesses. “But many of his wounds have also been self-inflicted. A lot of top-level people in Hollywood know how to be smooth and handle things with finesse, and he has not shown that he has that ability.”​

Last edited:

Rickcat96

As with many issues, there is no such thing as middle ground anymore. Everyone has a right to prosper. The if you're not with me, you're against me mentality is why there is no agree to disagree minus the hate attached to it.

Figment32

And what are the children with 2 mommies or 2 daddies supposed to do? Not talk about their parents at school. Should they be made to feel ashamed and hide this aspect of their life? LGBT people are everywhere. Deal with it. It's 2022.

JohnD

I would think it is in Disney's interest to keep kids as kids for as long as possible. They should not be encouraging kids - and the ban is for children under 8 - to learn about sex before they have the maturity. What is next - class demonstrations?

This is exactly the kind of stuff that the bill is trying to ban. Have we really come to the point of indoctrinating children without the parents knowing? Apparently so, in Austin, TX.

lazyboy97o

Good so you support the bill then since that is what it outlaws!
No, it does not. Such language was rejected.

How about not pushing this down the throats of kids and parents who believe that sex education is the role not of the school but of the parents? How about all kids go to school to learn how to read, write and do math and leave all the social engineering alone. Since Covid parents can see just how far teachers have deviated from educating kids to teaching them things small kids have no business knowing. If the two mummy or two daddy family wish to show their elementary children exactly how they have sex then do not inflict this on others.
How does this bill address the notion that sexual education is not the role of the school? It doesn’t prohibit sexual education, even for primary grades. It doesn’t introduce or expand opt-outs for parents.

jinx8402

How about not pushing this down the throats of kids and parents who believe that sex education is the role not of the school but of the parents? How about all kids go to school to learn how to read, write and do math and leave all the social engineering alone. Since Covid parents can see just how far teachers have deviated from educating kids to teaching them things small kids have no business knowing. If the two mummy or two daddy family wish to show their elementary children exactly how they have sex then do not inflict this on others.
What? Do straight parents show their kids how they have sex? What drivel is this?

Why is so hard for you to differentiate being able to talk to children about different make ups of families and how people have sex? These are not the same thing at all, and equating them is the first problem in all of this. These things that you are talking about are not being discussed with children in school.

crawale

No. I was commenting on your hypothetical scenario in which a child is being teased by another child about having a gay sibling. Normally, the teacher who becomes aware of such behavior would refer the situation to guidance, who would then (after some initial fact-finding) get the parents involved if necessary.
How about in grade k-3 this is not mentioned at all. Kids accept other kids and at that young age they are and should be asexual. Teachers need to leave kids alone. The low standard of education in America is more than reason for them to spend their time on academic subjects rather than make judgements or encourage children to change genders.

Tony the Tigger

Your response is of one side of the issue. There is the other that is of the opposite thought. Both sides claim the moral high ground and both won't or can't budge on their thinking, so what do you do? Tough times is where we live in.
Wrong. There is only one side. There is right and wrong in this world, not everyone gets a trophy and not every opinion is valid.

Discrimination is wrong in America. Period. Morality requires choice. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom