Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel Ariel

We are in a very small school district where parents have an extremely close relationship with teachers and school officials. It’s not perfect, nothing is, but it works out really well IMO. It’s a community and there is constant communication. Maybe not everyone likes that type of atmosphere but I feel fortunate and think it’s very beneficial for my kids. Having that type of relationship in a large school district in a densely populated area…doesn’t seem possible. Maybe the larger districts need to be broken apart? I don’t know.
I've certainly suggested breaking our large district apart. Problem is that with the large school district comes a massive budget. A budget that allows for things like elementary and middle school immersion schools (where students can be immersed in german, korean, spanish, french, etc) that have entrance by lottery that many* would scream about disappearing when the smaller districts don't have the finances to support that.

*many including many of the same ones who are screaming now.

The Mom

Premium Member
They don't keep kids back anymore. At least where we live.

I actually wanted to hold my youngest back a year because of his significant language delay along with his developmental delay...at the time, he wouldn't have known the difference. I was told that wasn't an option.
I was told that starting my daughter "early" (our state has a Sept 1 cut-off and she has a Sept birthday) was not an option. She was ready to start.

The Mom

Premium Member
I gave several posters a time out. The score is 5/4 Conservative vs Liberal so far - subject to change- because I know some of you are keeping score.

Vegas Disney Fan

I gave several posters a time out. The score is 5/4 Conservative vs Liberal so far - subject to change- because I know some of you are keeping score.
F7602F8B-585E-49DC-BCAC-23F9F5A9A9B6.jpeg

Figgy1

Premium Member
It bothered her short term, but I think it was not a problem long term - she was very ready for college chronologically, academically, and emotionally - unlike some of her classmates.
I'm glad it worked out. I remember a kid about ds' age who got in early after several rounds of testing and wound up getting pulled around Thanksgiving because it just didn't work out at the time.

donaldtoo

It's extremely difficult to start early here. Even if the child is emotionally ready

When we moved to No Cal in 1968, my parents enrolled me in kindergarten for the last 2 weeks of the term, just tryin’ to dip me in for some experience, and fully expecting I would repeat the full kindergarten class the following year. But, the kindergarten teacher told them she felt I was ready to move on to first grade. I can’t remember what the cutoff date was, but, my birthday is Oct. 20th.
In retrospect, they probably should have gone with their original plan. Although I graduated on time, I always felt like I was behind, even though I excelled in soccer and drafting…thus, my lifelong career in architecture, but, not soccer…!!! ;)
Also, back then the drinking age was 18 here. I didn’t even turn 18 until the October after I graduated the previous May…!!!!! :hilarious:;)

MrPromey

It bothered her short term, but I think it was not a problem long term - she was very ready for college chronologically, academically, and emotionally - unlike some of her classmates.
It may have been for the best for her based on some of the thinking, today.

To mind comes, specifically, the pop science book "Outliers: The Story of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell* where he talks, among many other things, of the unspoken advantage that older children in a grade start with that can easily snowball through the rest of their education, even after the several month gap between their age and those of many of their peers becomes less of a distinct advantage on its own.

*I know he's a bit of controversial author due to some not liking his politics, some not liking the way he interprets the science of certain things and others who don't like the former but try to pretend they're really just taking issue with the later.

_

Figgy1

Premium Member
Crazy how this controversy has blown up across the aisle - it's created a bigger mess for Chapek than Pixar Pier, Scarlett Johansson or Web Slingers.

Frankly, he deserves it.
You'd think with a company as big as Disney their PR department would have a rapid response team.
IMHO quite a bit of this is Chapek's foot in mouth disease on several issues including cutting portion sizes due to due to waist sizes, the ever not popular park reservation system, Genie and LL, the loss of DME, entertainment cuts and not just the ones since 2020. None of those responses has been spun in a positive way with at least a bit of lip service to guest enjoyment. Starting with food and waists he could have said something about cutting down on food waste.

DonaldDoleWhip

You'd think with a company as big as Disney their PR department would have a rapid response team.
IMHO quite a bit of this is Chapek's foot in mouth disease on several issues including cutting portion sizes due to due to waist sizes, the ever not popular park reservation system, Genie and LL, the loss of DME, entertainment cuts and not just the ones since 2020. None of those responses has been spun in a positive way with at least a bit of lip service to guest enjoyment. Starting with food and waists he could have said something about cutting down on food waste.
On the bright side, at least someone told us when Cosmic Rewind should be open!

(If that turns out to be wrong…)

Your points are all spot on - clearly Chapek knows a thing or two about ‘extracting value’ from consumers, which is probably the last thing most consumers want to perceive. The rigidity of his P&R implementations remains an embarrassment.

Back in early December I had breakfast at Boma and opted to take the bus from AKL to AK. No joke, it took 45 minutes for a bus to show up (the bus intended for the route had broken down), as bus after bus departed for DHS, Disney Springs, MK, or Epcot. Being unable to wing it anymore (or just park at a resort to grab some food) is such a massive pain.

Every ounce of criticism his regime is getting, even if it’s mainly over 1-2 issues, is totally deserved.

Last edited:

fgmnt

Which is ironic because that’s been the progressive playbook since the 50s, walkouts, protests, whatever it takes to make noise to further the cause... are you saying getting a group of like minded people together to make change is now a bad thing? Or more likely that it’s a good thing when it’s something you agree with but a bad thing when it’s something you don’t agree with?

Guess all those people in CA outside Disney should shut up and get back to work rather than trying to influence FL schools.
As a virginian, i am aware of a number of protests regarding education in the 50s and 60s. i do not think that massive resistance to desegregation of schools is something that is out of the progressive playbook.

fgmnt

Last time I checked, we are facing insane gas prices, runaway inflation, impending food shortages and stand on the verge of a nuclear World War. I think Disney -and those here - have far far bigger things to be concerned about. Funny how Universal never seems to get involved in all of this political crap... just check their IG. Not a syllable about any of this.
This apparently is important enough for the Florida Republican party, the sole party in power in the state where The Walt Disney Company employs the better part of 100k people.

DonaldDoleWhip

As a virginian, i am aware of a number of protests regarding education in the 50s and 60s. i do not think that massive resistance to desegregation of schools is something that is out of the progressive playbook.
Agreed - these tactics certainly aren't limited to "the progressive playbook," and some past examples are quite shameful.

I don't believe today's protestors will earn the same infamy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom