Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphac2005

What we paid in federal taxes last year would cover the average FL teacher's salary. Fl doesn't have a state income tax, which explains a lot of the issues in the state.
That's not the case. Revenues are very strong in the state due to our huge tourism base feeding sales tax revenue, which more than offsets a state income tax, paired with mid-range (in terms of overall states) property tax rate assessments, etc. It has nothing to do with revenues rather where the party the controls the legislature and executive branch choose their priorities to be.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
As a parent of a child in FL public schools, we've already been losing too many terrific teachers due to low pay, low morale (for many obivous reasons), etc. The last thing we need is a further exodus. A serious question that I have due to this ridiculous piece of legislation, is how far do things end up going? For example, my son's school is wonderfully welcoming and inclusive and that includes a huge pride flag in the courtyard amongst other things. Will this be challenged by parents as being "taught" to students?

So many questions, so many amendments put forward to add clarity or define better, all failed. They want vagueness, chaos, and divide. It's what helps them maintain power.

Bocabear

I thought the exact same thing. Some children are currently learning that Christopher Columbus discovered America and that the Native Americans and pilgrims had a lovely dinner together, centered around love, friendship, and togetherness. In other words, BS.

I’m not a parent yet, but I’d be much more concerned about what my children are learning in their history classes than LGBTQ+ topics (which I have no concern over whatsoever).
You would if someone you knew and loved were LGBTQ...or perhaps a child of yours.. Not including basic mentions dooms a child to think they are the only ones...they are bad or wrong... That is the root of why teen suicide rates among LGBT kids is so high.

Californian Elitist

You would if someone you knew and loved were LGBTQ...or perhaps a child of yours.. Not including basic mentions dooms a child to think they are the only ones...they are bad or wrong... That is the root of why teen suicide rates among LGBT kids is so high.
Absolutely. I should clarify and say that I meant I’m not concerned, worried, angry, etc. about LGBTQ+ topics being introduced to my future children in their classes. I think it’s perfectly fine, healthy, and normal.

Sexuality is fine to talk about and introduce to children, as long as it concerns heterosexuality. From the time I can remember, I saw examples of heterosexuality everywhere, including in school. No one made a fuss, but we all know why.

Relating this to the topic of the thread, I know I personally wouldn’t want to make the move to Florida with laws like this being passed. Chapek’s statement is pathetic and embarrassing, especially when he mentioned the list of content surrounding marginalized communities as a means to create a shield of protection from scrutiny.

alphac2005

So many questions, so many amendments put forward to add clarity or define better, all failed. They want vagueness, chaos, and divide. It's what helps them maintain power.
Oh yes, I know. I’m a political strategist. Lol. Seriously though, this is what governance looks like when it’s solely based upon feeding red meat to a base for both statewide and national ambitions. As someone who studied Florida government in my undergrad, it’s really quite striking how fast the legislature has capitulated and the current governor has taken a governorship that based on how state government is arraigned is a weaker chief executive and has imposed his will throughout Tallahassee.

Lil Copter Cap

As a Floridian, I support this bill. Keep those topics out of our schools. Parents should have more say in their children’s education.
What topics? History?

Are teachers in Florida going to avoid talking about LGBTQIA+ people in history, literature, art?

"One key factor in ending WWII was breaking the code the Nazis used in their encoded messages. The person who created the machine that allowed this to happen was invented by...no one!”

How about Achilles and his very good ~platonic~ friend Patroclus in the Trojan War!
Did you know that Eleanor Roosevelt wrote love letters to women - as a friend, of course.

Do they just stop teaching Emily Dickinson’s poetry? Oscar Wilde? Who was the first woman in space now that they can’t talk about Sally Ride?

So again, I ask you: What topics should be kept out of schools?

doctornick

In this case, it seems weird to hold up things like Coco and Encanto (because they have Latin American settings?) as Disney's way of battling prejudice rather than what politicians they fund and the legislation they support. In other words, pay attention to the diverse line-up on Disney+ rather than where Disney spends its money and does choose to influence legislation. It just reads as too cynical for anyone to take seriously.

Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but Disney basically "supports" pretty much every viable politician on either side of the aisle. They have donated to politicians both for and against this particular bill. I don't think the Disney company in practice really cares about any of these issues as long as the politicians in power are supportive of legislation that benefits them (the Disney company).

I don't think you can correctly frame this issue as Disney "supporting" this legislation; they are just choosing to not have any stance on it.

UNCgolf

I thought the exact same thing. Some children are currently learning that Christopher Columbus discovered America and that the Native Americans and pilgrims had a lovely dinner together, centered around love, friendship, and togetherness. In other words, BS.

I’m not a parent yet, but I’d be much more concerned about what my children are learning in their history classes than LGBTQ+ topics (which I have no concern over whatsoever).

I think the vast majority of Americans think the American Revolution was about all the colonists coming together and throwing off their oppressive British overlords all by themselves through force of will.

In reality, the majority of colonists did not support the war, and a significant portion actually fought for the British (who were also not oppressive overlords, especially relatively speaking). They also would have almost certainly lost without the French, but the French are barely mentioned (if at all) in many high school American history classes.

Last edited:

doctornick

That's not the case. Revenues are very strong in the state due to our huge tourism base feeding sales tax revenue, which more than offsets a state income tax, paired with mid-range (in terms of overall states) property tax rate assessments, etc. It has nothing to do with revenues rather where the party the controls the legislature and executive branch choose their priorities to be.

I always have been under the impression that the biggest issue with school funding in Florida is priorities of the residents. Specifically, because Florida has an abnormally large percentage of retirees and relatively fewer families with school age children, the priorities of the people who vote is that school funding is a relatively low priority. So, politicians tend to support and pay for things that are of greater political value in terms of gaining votes.

Probably an oversimplification but I could see it being more or less true.

Sir_Cliff

Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but Disney basically "supports" pretty much every viable politician on either side of the aisle. They have donated to politicians both for and against this particular bill. I don't think the Disney company in practice really cares about any of these issues as long as the politicians in power are supportive of legislation that benefits them (the Disney company).

I don't think you can correctly frame this issue as Disney "supporting" this legislation; they are just choosing to not have any stance on it.
That is a very, very weak position for which Disney can be reasonably called out. Financially supporting sponsors of bills such as this one and refusing to venture any opinion on the legislation or the views of the politicians they are supporting offer unless they affect the company's bottom line shows the company's commitment to diversity and inclusion is just lip service. They will pat themselves on the back for putting cartoons and fan fiction about a gay winner of a fictional baking contest on Main Street, then turn around and fund politicians trying to ban acknowledgement of the existence of gay people in schools if they feel it suits their bottom line. It is creepily cynical.

Why does Disney fund legislators anyway? It's influence, they're just choosing not to use it here.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

We will find out this November what the majority of parents think re pushing CRT and extreme gender ideology in our schools. If Virginia was any indication, it is clear that parents recognize their right to have a say in their child’s education. We cannot allow the elite to push their extreme gender ideology onto our k-3 kids. We pay the taxes which pay for the schools. More importantly, they’re OUR kids. Damn straight we have a say in their education. Anyone who thinks you need a degree to have an input who is an elitist who cares not for the working man and certainly does not care for children.

DonaldDoleWhip

Really, MILLIONS? Seems to be a bit over the top, don't you think?
It’s simple probability that there are millions of kids attending Florida schools who may identify as LGBTQ+.

Reducing any conversation in the classroom to a heteronormative worldview will absolutely be harmful to them. Self-acceptance is hard enough when you’re the different one in school.

It will also harm their teachers and parents who’ll have to tread lightly regarding any fragment of a sentence that might offend those espousing ‘traditional family’ values.

Certainly something Disney employees in FL (or those potentially moving from CA) might find alarming.

jinx8402

We will find out this November what the majority of parents think re pushing CRT and extreme gender ideology in our schools. If Virginia was any indication, it is clear that parents recognize their right to have a say in their child’s education. We cannot allow the elite to push their extreme gender ideology onto our k-3 kids. We pay the taxes which pay for the schools. More importantly, they’re OUR kids. Damn straight we have a say in their education. Anyone who thinks you need a degree to have an input who is an elitist who cares not for the working man and certainly does not care for children.
None of that is happening. It is drummed up fake outrage. End of story.

TikibirdLand

What topics? History?

Are teachers in Florida going to avoid talking about LGBTQIA+ people in history, literature, art?

"One key factor in ending WWII was breaking the code the Nazis used in their encoded messages. The person who created the machine that allowed this to happen was invented by...no one!”

How about Achilles and his very good ~platonic~ friend Patroclus in the Trojan War!
Did you know that Eleanor Roosevelt wrote love letters to women - as a friend, of course.

Do they just stop teaching Emily Dickinson’s poetry? Oscar Wilde? Who was the first woman in space now that they can’t talk about Sally Ride?

So again, I ask you: What topics should be kept out of schools?
What does the sexual preference of anyone mentioned matter with regard to their contribution to history? Again, extreme arguments for extreme positions. I already discussed this if you've been following along. Alan Turing's sexual preference did not play any part in his design of the Enigma. We can go through your other examples if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom