Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Californian Elitist

I don't know that anyone wants to "erase" anyone.

The bill wants to enable parents to have access to their children's mental health records kept by school staff, and wait until after the 3rd grade to formally introduce sexual orientation into official curriculum.

The bill as written doesn't prevent Billy from talking about his two mommies, or a teacher from mentioning her wife in casual classroom coversation with her 2nd graders. https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557/BillText/er/PDF

Is there anyone here in Florida who has access to current state approved curriculum on what/how 2nd graders are being taught about sexual orientation? I'd love to see how that rather advanced topic is currently being discussed with 6 year old kids. If it's actually mentioned at all.
People have already mentioned this, but 2nd grade teachers are NOT teaching their kids about sexual orientation. That’s not in the curriculum.

TP2000

Interesting to see the California governor also picking up on this point. Again, interested to know how this is all going down inside Disney right now!

This whole thing is a PR nightmare, and Chapek stepped in it big time with his worthlessly bland first email to concerned employees.

That said, it's notable that Disney chose to use the word "pause" regarding political donations in Florida. Obviously, when the dust settles here, they're going to resume donating to politicians from both parties in Florida. Every single business bigger than a muffler shop does that in every state.

There's a hundred big companies based in Florida. They all have employees who may be upset about 2nd grade curriculum not including sexual orientation. Does Publix donate to both parties? Yes. Does NASCAR donate to both parties? Yes. Does Chiquita Foods donate to both parties? Yes.

Disney will resume donating to politicians. After the "pause".

Last edited:

TP2000

People have already mentioned this, but 2nd grade teachers are NOT teaching their kids about sexual orientation. That’s not in the curriculum.

Okay. So there's no need to worry.

The bill states that sexual orientation may not be included in formal curriculum until after the 3rd grade. It's like saying that complex division may not be included in formal math curriculum until after the 3rd grade, when that's a math curriculum that doesn't get introduced until the 5th grade anyway.

If sexual orientation is not being included in curriculum plans in the first three grades, then why worry? It seems this mess was blown completely out of proportion then.

"3. Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3, or in a manner that is not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."

Magenta Panther

You mean the television show that people can choose not to watch? Or the library reading hours that people can choose not to attend?

Also...every preschool and kindergarten I've ever set foot in has a corner set aside specifically for playing dress-up. That's all kids see drag as. They don't attach anything sexual to anything unless an adult teaches them to.
Yeah, but maybe the issue is that the television show is on PBS, and taxpayers don't get a choice on whether or not to fund it. ;)

Californian Elitist

Okay. So there's no need to worry.

The bill states that sexual orientation may not be included in formal curriculum until after the 3rd grade. It's like saying that complex division may not be included in formal math curriculum until after the 3rd grade, when that's a math curriculum that doesn't get introduced until the 5th grade anyway.

If sexual orientation is not being included in curriculum plans in the first three grades, then why worry? It seems this mess was blown completely out of proportion then.

"3. Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3, or in a manner that is not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."

We should be asking lawmakers why they bothered with this at all when sexual orientation isn’t in the curriculum. Some of us can take a guess.

Magenta Panther

Okay, bottom line, Disney got itself into this mess by messing in politics, and IMO, its comeuppance was inevitable. Doesn't matter which side they chose to donate to, or even the fact they often fund BOTH sides. Politics is a MINEFIELD, and even career politicians have trouble navigating it without harm. Walt himself got into a mess over the Blacklist, although there was some truth in the notion that Communists were trying to influence Hollywood. (They were). I don't care that trying to influence politicians is part of business, it's BAD business, one way or the other, and Chapek is now finding that out. I don't know how he's gonna get himself out of this one, but whatever he does, it's gonna be fun to watch... :cat:

Angel Ariel

The Parental Rights in Education Bill, which is what is actually named...would be interesting to see how many against it don't have kids. I mean the logic is this: if my kindergartner thinks they feel like a diesel train, it would okay for the teacher to tell them to drink diesel oil without involving the parents.
I am a parent of an elementary school student. And a teacher. And the attacks on public education across this country that this bill is a part of are sickening.

Angel Ariel

I don't know that anyone wants to "erase" anyone.

The bill wants to enable parents to have access to their children's mental health records kept by school staff, and wait until after the 3rd grade to formally introduce sexual orientation into official curriculum.

The bill as written doesn't prevent Billy from talking about his two mommies, or a teacher from mentioning her wife in casual classroom coversation with her 2nd graders. https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557/BillText/er/PDF

Is there anyone here in Florida who has access to current state approved curriculum on what/how 2nd graders are being taught about sexual orientation? I'd love to see how that rather advanced topic is currently being discussed with 6 year old kids. If it's actually mentioned at all.
It doesn’t take being in Florida. Google is wonderful thing.

Here’s the k-12 curricula from broward county:

Joesixtoe

Insulting other users is against the Terms of Service of this website.
They both literally just insulted each other. This whole forum is full of insults, or intended insults. Not to much quality dialog, just usually one side trying to beat down on a small minority, it's quite nice to see people fighting back.

Angel Ariel

1647221842112.gif

ImperfectPixie

They both literally just insulted each other. This whole forum is full of insults, or intended insults. Not to much quality dialog, just usually one side trying to beat down on a small minority, it's quite nice to see people fighting back.
There's a bit of difference between comparing behavior to that of a child and name-calling. One is addressing behavior, the other is addressing the person.

At any rate...we'd never make any progress at all as a society if these kinds of discussions didn't take place. It's just unfortunate that some feel that name-calling is appropriate under any circumstances...it's typical schoolyard bully behavior - "I have no argument, therefore I will attack the person, rather than the opinion".

Joesixtoe

There's a bit of difference between comparing behavior to that of a child and name-calling. One is addressing behavior, the other is addressing the person.

At any rate...we'd never make any progress at all as a society if these kinds of discussions didn't take place. It's just unfortunate that some feel that name-calling is appropriate under any circumstances...it's typical schoolyard bully behavior - "I have no argument, therefore I will attack the person, rather than the opinion".
Comparing it to a child or not is still degrading and name calling. But I agree we need quality discussions, not name calling. It's what we lacked in the covid forum; that forum really showed the heart of some of these people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom