Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Californian Elitist

Interesting so racism is in the blood of white --please tell me what special gene codes for racism in whites that blacks don't carry
Lol wut? Che cazzo?

Got me speaking another language. I have no clue what you’re talking about, sir. I’m not going to entertain this nonsense, though. Feel free to do your own research on it, if you’d like. There are plenty of resources out there.

I’m ready to get back on topic.

DHoy

No one is arguing that parents shouldn't have access to their children's mental health or well-being records.

No one is arguing that children need to be taught about sexual orientation outside of the already established sex-ed classes.

What people are arguing is that this bill is purposely FAR too vague and is ripe for abuse by people with bad intentions.

ETA: The bill went through several rounds of editing...and was purposely left vague and open do
We don't give a 4 four year old car keys, we shouldnt tell them about gender identity

ImperfectPixie

We don't give a 4 four year old car keys, we shouldnt tell them about gender identity
No one is telling 4-year-olds about gender identity. And no one is arguing that we should.

ETA: Meaning gender identity and LGBTQ+ issues are not discussed or part of lesson plans for children who aren't old enough to attend sex-ed classes. The only things discussed in grades k-3 are the make-up of families and how they come in many shapes and sizes. That's it...it's about who loves and takes care of the children in question.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

So a drag queen showing up to kindergarten class discussing gender identity isn't discussing gender identity.
You mean the television show that people can choose not to watch? Or the library reading hours that people can choose not to attend?

Also...every preschool and kindergarten I've ever set foot in has a corner set aside specifically for playing dress-up. That's all kids see drag as. They don't attach anything sexual to anything unless an adult teaches them to.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

This is true. Blue and trucks for boys, pink and dolls for girls. Heaven forbid a boy want to play with a doll. (My older son adored the life-like baby dolls when he was little.)
Exactly. I remember wanting to play with my brother’s GI Joe dolls and being told that I couldn’t. And vice versa, my brothers were not to go near my Barbie dolls. My sister and I had play kitchens and baby dolls that allowed us to change their diapers. That womanhood training started when we were very young. Lol.

My little sister and I were just having this conversation yesterday. Our older sister just had twins, and she’s asked us to babysit three weekends in a row, including this weekend. We talked about the fact that she’ll likely never ask our older brothers to babysit. It’s too much for them to make their bottles, change their diapers, and give them baths. That’s our role.

ImperfectPixie

Exactly. I remember wanting to play with my brother’s GI Joe dolls and being told that I couldn’t. And vice versa, my brothers were not to go near my Barbie dolls. My sister and I had play kitchens and baby dolls that allowed us to change their diapers. That womanhood training started when we were very young. Lol.

My little sister and I were just having this conversation yesterday. Our older sister just had twins, and she’s asked us to babysit three weekends in a row, including this weekend. We talked about the fact that she’ll likely never ask our older brothers to babysit. It’s too much for them to make their bottles, change their diapers, and give them baths. That’s our role.
It's ongoing in so many ways...one my husband and I constantly fight over is meal planning and preparation. In his mind, he's the man, so it's not his job. Not to say that he doesn't cook a meal once or twice a week (and it's almost always something not really healthy and frozen), but you can hear his attitude about it in how he verbalizes.

Californian Elitist

It's ongoing in so many ways...one my husband and I constantly fight over is meal planning and preparation. In his mind, he's the man, so it's not his job. Not to say that he doesn't cook a meal once or twice a week (and it's almost always something not really healthy and frozen), but you can hear his attitude about it in how he verbalizes.
I understand. My dad is the same way. He made a joke about my mom not cooking anymore, but it was very obvious that he was masking his frustration over that with a joke. Today, he told me that he was going to buy some salmon, but he wants me to cook it for him.😑 Men can cook, too!

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
I understand. My dad is the same way. He made a joke about my mom not cooking anymore, but it was very obvious that he was masking his frustration over that with a joke. Today, he told me that he was going to buy some salmon, but he wants me to cook it for him.😑 Men can cook, too!

Shocking right? Men can also help make house.

We take turns cooking.

Vegas Disney Fan

This is true. Blue and trucks for boys, pink and dolls for girls. Heaven forbid a boy want to play with a doll. (My older son adored the life-like baby dolls when he was little.)

Off topic but it got me wondering how much of our adult views are a direct result of our parents, sounds like both your parents were extremely old fashioned and you likely ended up on the progressive end of the spectrum because of that, my God fearing, church going, very conservative parents were very open minded (our house was the hangout for my drama student sister and all her gay friends) so I probably ended up on the conservative end of the spectrum because of that.

Off topic, I just found it interesting. I come from a very conservative household and your experience sounds like a prison in comparison.

Last edited:

Midwest Elitist

Off topic but it got me wondering how much of are adult views are a direct result of our parents, sounds like both your parents were extremely old fashioned and you likely ended up on the progressive end of the spectrum because of that, my God fearing, church going, very conservative parents were very open minded (our house was the hangout for my drama student sister and all her gay friends) so I probably ended up on the conservative end of the spectrum because of that.

Off topic, I just found it interesting. I come from a very conservative household and your experience sounds like a prison in comparison.
My parents are incredibly conservative and I'm a social democrat. I think it depends on your reaction to leaving an ideological bubble and engaging with those of different opinions.

Californian Elitist

Off topic but it got me wondering how much of are adult views are a direct result of our parents, sounds like both your parents were extremely old fashioned and you likely ended up on the progressive end of the spectrum because of that, my God fearing, church going, very conservative parents were very open minded (our house was the hangout for my drama student sister and all her gay friends) so I probably ended up on the conservative end of the spectrum because of that.

Quite the opposite, actually. My dad is quite liberal, just lazy. My mom is religious with some conservative values, but at the same time, she hasn’t voted for a conservative in decades. I was raised liberally and had a great childhood with more freedom that usual. My parents are traditional when it comes to gender roles. Other than that, they let us do what we wanted. There was nothing conservative about our household at all, except traditional gender roles.

Thinking about my entire family, I can count on one hand the number of family members I have that are conservatives and actually adhere to conservatism. Two.

Vegas Disney Fan

My parents are incredibly conservative and I'm a social democrat. I think it depends on your reaction to leaving an ideological bubble and engaging with those of different opinions.
That’s my point though, I view conservatism very differently than that because my parents (and our friends) were already engaging those with different opinions. I’ve never viewed it as a bubble.

I find it odd when people (whether left or right) surround themselves with only likeminded people, thats never been part of my life because that’s not how I was raised.

Vegas Disney Fan

Quite the opposite, actually. My dad is quite liberal, just lazy. My mom is religious with some conservative values, but at the same time, she hasn’t voted for a conservative in decades. I was raised liberally and had a great childhood with more freedom that usual. My parents are traditional when it comes to gender roles. Other than that, they let us do what we wanted. There was nothing conservative about our household at all, except traditional gender roles.

Thinking about my entire family, I can count on one hand the number of family members I have that are conservatives and actually adhere to conservatism. Two.
Fascinating, just goes to show, we don’t fit neatly into categories, my conservative parents sound like they were more liberal than your liberal parents when it comes to gender roles. Likely far more conservative in other ways though.

So much overlap and so many shades of gray in the world, very few people actually fit into the stereotypes we assign to the categories.

ImperfectPixie

My mother is a bit of an odd duck. She was far more liberal when I was growing up, but has slipped further and further right and conservative as she's gotten older. It doesn't help that my step-father is an uneducated hick (quite literally - his mother grew up barefoot on a tobacco farm) and since she married him (she was 50 when they were married), she only watches FOX News and reads the dumbed-down version of local news because that's what he watches and reads. She's also rediscovered the bible (without guidance).

My in-laws are definitely more old-school conservative (and racist as hell).

My father's parents were so conservative that they had twin beds and women were banished to the kitchen after dinner and children were to be seen and not heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom