Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Off topic but it got me wondering how much of are adult views are a direct result of our parents, sounds like both your parents were extremely old fashioned and you likely ended up on the progressive end of the spectrum because of that, my God fearing, church going, very conservative parents were very open minded (our house was the hangout for my drama student sister and all her gay friends) so I probably ended up on the conservative end of the spectrum because of that.

Off topic, I just found it interesting. I come from a very conservative household and your experience sounds like a prison in comparison.
To dive into it a little further...yes, I rebelled in a HUGE way starting when I was about 15, went to art school, and spent a good chunk of of my 20s not even talking to my mother.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Lol what does this have to do with rich or poor? And I’d argue Walt’s vision of the place was always about improving our reality. The good old Spaceship Earth, a true fantasy adventure!
I said my part, you said yours and I respect it nor do I agree or disagree. I just don’t think politicians on either side or corporations should lay into these issues, tell us what or not to say, it’s between we the people to work these things out between ourselves.

Vegas Disney Fan

To dive into it a little further...yes, I rebelled in a HUGE way starting when I was about 15, went to art school, and spent a good chunk of of my 20s not even talking to my mother.
I was very blessed, my parents were awesome, when my mother remarried her new husband was a tool though, he was the inbred type that watched Fox all day unless Nascar was on, nothing came before nascar. I still have no idea how she went from my dad to such a moron.

Thankfully I was an adult when that happened so I didn’t have to deal with him beyond some holidays.

My best friends dad was a bit of an odd combination also, extremely liberal ACLU lawyer who was also our Sunday school teacher. Seems contradictory but it worked for him.

ImperfectPixie

I was very blessed, my parents were awesome, when my mother remarried her new husband was a tool though, he was the inbred type that watched Fox all day unless Nascar was on, nothing came before nascar. I still have no idea how she went from my dad to such a moron.

Thankfully I was an adult when that happened so I didn’t have to deal with him beyond some holidays.

My best friends dad was a bit of an odd combination also, extremely liberal ACLU lawyer who was also our Sunday school teacher. Seems contradictory but it worked for him.
Same. My father was college educated, physically active, well-to-do and pretty socially liberal even though his parents were sooooo conservative (he was adopted though when he was around 8, so that may have something to do with that). I was an adult when my mom remarried, too, and how she went from my dad to this POS is likely because she was just afraid she was going to have to sell the house (no house is worth what she's put up with or the changes she's undergone because of this scumbag), and he'd just retired with a pretty nice retirement buyout (he worked in the field as an installer for Verizon).

pluto77

If these folks who want 2nd graders to be taught about the beauties of gay marriage (and there are a few, but I would argue they aren't appropriate to mention to children until around the 6th grade) are so unhappy in Florida with a 2nd grade curricula that prohibits the mention of sexual orientation and gender identity, they can do one of three things;

1. Teach their children all about sexual orientation and gender identity in their own homes. Endlessly! GAY!
2. Move to a different state that has 2nd grade public school curricula regarding sexual orientation and gender identity that matches their personal values.
3. Enroll their children in a private Florida school that has a 2nd grade curricula regarding sexual orientation and gender identity that matches their personal values.
Or… the people who want to erase gay people from their kids’ lives can home school or enroll them in a private school, since, you know, gay people exist in the real world (and not only in adults only areas!). Their teacher may even be married to someone of the same sex! Oh the horror! 😱 So are they never allowed to mention their spouse?

There’s absolutely no reason to hide gay marriage/sexual orientation from young kids. That doesn’t mean we have to go into every single detail of what that entails (do we do that when we talking about what a boyfriend and girlfriend is to young kids?). Telling them about “gay marriage” is as simple as saying it’s okay for people to marry who they love, no matter the gender. There’s no need to go into the inappropriate “beauties” of gay marriage just like there’s no need to go into the inappropriate “beauties” of heterosexual marriage.

Obviously, teachers discussing sex at that young of an age is inappropriate, I don’t think anyone disagrees there (although I, personally, learned about it from a classmate in 2nd grade, but that’s neither here nor there). Teachers should be allowed to stand up for kids that may have 2 moms or 2 dads, and it’s not something they should just ignore and brush under the rug. It also doesn’t matter if they are a minority. They exist. It is a public classroom, if some kids’ parents have an issue with their kids knowing that another kid has 2 dads, then that’s there own issue. I don’t care what their “views” are on gay marriage, and I don’t care if they are the minority. This is 2022, not 1952. That would be like saying teachers can’t talk about an interracial marriage because some parents might be against that. 🙄

Honestly, as a gay man to another gay man, I feel bad for you if you honestly think talking about same sex couples shouldn’t be allowed in classrooms, at all. If you think talking about gay relationships, at all, is inappropriate for young kids, but talking about a husband and wife is fine, then you either have a really warped idea of what a gay relationship has to be, or you have bigger issues to sort out.

Also, I don’t have kids either (yet), but I do have a lot of nieces and nephews and I am involved in a lot of kids’ lives. I’m sorry, I don’t wait until a certain age to talk about my husband (and the kids seriously think nothing of it), and I shouldn’t be expected to if I were in a classroom setting either.

(by the way, I know not everything I said related to what I quoted, but I’m responding to multiple things you’ve mentioned throughout the thread).

Sir_Cliff

Me, too! I’m from liberal Los Angeles. I support gay rights to the fullest. I went to a high school that voted for a boy to be prom queen. I’m from a very pro-gay/gay-friendly place. I’m not a parent, but if I were, thinking about my children, I would prefer for them to be surrounded by similar ideals and grow up in a state with pro-gay laws and statutes. Therefore, as it stands currently, Florida would not be considered if I were to move to a different state.

I’m also curious about what those who are being asked to move are thinking. I’m sure some have no issue with it, while others feeling differently.
Interesting to see the California governor also picking up on this point. Again, interested to know how this is all going down inside Disney right now!

Vegas Disney Fan

Californian Elitist

Interesting to see the California governor also picking up on this point. Again, interested to know how this is all going down inside Disney right now!

Maybe lower taxes and they’ll return.

I love my home state and don’t plan to leave, but the high taxes, particularly for businesses, aren’t very enticing. Still, California is undoubtedly more tolerant with different values that may be enticing for others to either stay here or make a move to the state. I saw a news headline about a woman planning to move herself and her trans daughter to California from Texas, for obvious reasons.

Repeating what was said earlier, it’s a good thing that states can create their own laws and we can live wherever most suits us.

The Parental Rights in Education Bill, which is what is actually named...would be interesting to see how many against it don't have kids. I mean the logic is this: if my kindergartner thinks they feel like a diesel train, it would okay for the teacher to tell them to drink diesel oil without involving the parents.

Sir_Cliff

Maybe lower taxes and they’ll return.

I love my home state and don’t plan to leave, but the high taxes, particularly for businesses, aren’t very enticing. Still, California is undoubtedly more tolerant with different values that may be enticing for others to either stay here or make a move to the state. I saw a news headline about a woman planning to move herself and her trans daughter to California from Texas, for obvious reasons.

Repeating what was said earlier, it’s a good thing that states can create their own laws and we can live wherever most suits us.
Yes, the financial calculations are obviously what it comes down to for Disney as a company. I guess the question would be whether there are other 'losses' that come from moving to a low-taxing, more socially conservative state like Florida, particularly for a creative business where attracting talent may be more difficult. People have produced all kinds of figures to produce directly opposite conclusions about the education system in each state on the other thread, so I won't enter into the issue of higher taxes but better services which is theoretically also a trade off!

My hunch is that present-day Disney's priorities are squarely on cost-reduction and they figure they'll always be able to hire someone to do the jobs they want done, whether in Florida or California.

Willmark

Does anyone want to live in a society where every freedom you have is whittled away until every scenario in which someone might do or say something that someone else might find harmful is avoided?
I believe that people very much want that… as long as it aligns with what they want and believe in. If it’s not and what someone else believes in?

Nope.

Midwest Elitist

The Parental Rights in Education Bill, which is what is actually named...would be interesting to see how many against it don't have kids. I mean the logic is this: if my kindergartner thinks they feel like a diesel train, it would okay for the teacher to tell them to drink diesel oil without involving the parents.
No one actually thinks that because appealing to insanity doesn't work in 99% of instances.

TP2000

Or… the people who want to erase gay people from their kids’ lives can home school or enroll them in a private school, since, you know, gay people exist in the real world (and not only in adults only areas!). Their teacher may even be married to someone of the same sex! Oh the horror! 😱 So are they never allowed to mention their spouse?

I don't know that anyone wants to "erase" anyone.

The bill wants to enable parents to have access to their children's mental health records kept by school staff, and wait until after the 3rd grade to formally introduce sexual orientation into official curriculum.

The bill as written doesn't prevent Billy from talking about his two mommies, or a teacher from mentioning her wife in casual classroom coversation with her 2nd graders. https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557/BillText/er/PDF

Is there anyone here in Florida who has access to current state approved curriculum on what/how 2nd graders are being taught about sexual orientation? I'd love to see how that rather advanced topic is currently being discussed with 6 year old kids. If it's actually mentioned at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom