Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

NelsonRD

I would argue school itself is about learning....as long as they are not actively endorsing or encouraging certain behaviors or peddling absolute lies (I.e my child who identifies as a male must be a girl because he like pink etc....or using you religion analogy promoting and focusing in on converting my kid to christianity), I'm fine with it.

My job as a parent is to ensure my child is able to function in the world and contribute to society and be a part of it. Part of that is knowing and seeing how my child interprets and learns information when they are young by exposing them into different viewpoints that i may not fully believe or agree with.

My child is not me and isn't supposed to be a mini version of me. They are their own entity.

I agree with the whole statement, and I expect my children to have respect and values installed by us, accepting they are not a clone of ourselves. The only change I am seeing is parents are supposed to guide children, children are not supposed to direct parents.

NelsonRD

It’s nowhere near the same. To be the same a kid asking a question would result in ongoing instruction on how to be gay. You were just pushing the grooming and converting nonsense in a different form.
I am not pushing or grooming anything. Don't be so dismissive as nonsense.
It was an example of another situation, to gauge if that situation would upset people the same.

Parteecia

Conservative Disney employees fear reprisals in ‘Don’t Say Gay’ debate, petition says

An open letter penned by conservative Disney employees asks the company to remain neutral on issues that have politicized the corporate culture, damaged morale and caused right-wing employees to feel their days working at the Mouse House are numbered.

Artemicon

I think the point is no one should feel fear of retaliation for holding an opinion. These people aren't educators teaching our children, they're random everyday people working at Disney. They shouldn't have to fear that just because they don't think like the loud super-minority, that they would face repercussions, and that's their message. The same goes for the opposite side as well.

Artemicon

This legislation specifically allows that one person to sue. That’s the big thing it changes, allows and encourages.
Allowing people to sue isn't the problem with the Bill. The problem is the vagueness of it. It should be more specific to prevent frivolous lawsuits. Protecting our children is not up for discussion though, and one good thing that comes out of this is the prevention of radical teachers teaching children about sexuality before an age that is appropriate, or at very least legal repercussions if they do.

lazyboy97o

Allowing people to sue isn't the problem with the Bill. The problem is the vagueness of it. It should be more specific to prevent frivolous lawsuits. Protecting our children is not up for discussion though, and one good thing that comes out of this is the prevention of radical teachers teaching children about sexuality before an age that is appropriate, or at very least legal repercussions if they do.
The vagueness is on purpose to facilitate the lawsuits. It’s a feature, not a bug.

How did Florida previously allow young children to be taught at an inappropriate age? How did the established process that was not amended, allow that? What district was doing this?

Artemicon

The vagueness is on purpose to facilitate the lawsuits. It’s a feature, not a bug.

How did Florida previously allow young children to be taught at an inappropriate age? How did the established process that was not amended, allow that? What district was doing this?
Regarding how Florida previous allowed young children to be taught at an inappropriate age:

From my research, there hasn't previously been anything "on the books" in Florida to prevent or enforce teaching of LGBTQ+ forms of sexuality and orientation, but there are guidelines that it should be "abstinence-only sexual education, and age-appropriate". This in of itself is a problem because other sexual identities exist, and abstinence-only sexual education doesn't really cover those, so with this, before the bill, anything outside of those narrow guidelines was essentially free-game, and the bill has accounted for this section.

This section of the bill I don't see a problem with, all forms of sexual-education should be age-appropriate, and if you think children younger than appropriate ages should be taught this, you probably hold an unpopular opinion of teaching sexuality in children, but I expect very few people hold this opinion.

Regarding people being sued for silly things like acknowledging the existence of same-sex family identity, and being able to bring a lawsuit to them, I think this is stupid, and I'm not sure that simply acknowledging the existence is grounds for a lawsuit in the current form of the bill, "prohibiting classroom 22 discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity 23 in certain grade levels or in a specified manner;" but like others have said it is vague and has too much room for frivolous lawsuits.

lazyboy97o

Isn't there a process one must go through before a lawsuit is filed? Opponents make it sound lawsuits will be flying of the shelf like toilet paper before a hurricane.
It is a trivial process.

Regarding how Florida previous allowed young children to be taught at an inappropriate age:

From my research, there hasn't previously been anything "on the books" in Florida to prevent or enforce teaching of LGBTQ+ forms of sexuality and orientation, but there are guidelines that it should be "abstinence-only sexual education, and age-appropriate". This in of itself is a problem because other sexual identities exist, and abstinence-only sexual education doesn't really cover those, so with this, before the bill, anything outside of those narrow guidelines was essentially free-game, and the bill has accounted for this section.

This section of the bill I don't see a problem with, all forms of sexual-education should be age-appropriate, and if you think children younger than appropriate ages should be taught this, you probably hold an unpopular opinion of teaching sexuality in children, but I expect very few people hold this opinion.

Regarding people being sued for silly things like acknowledging the existence of same-sex family identity, and being able to bring a lawsuit to them, I think this is stupid, and I'm not sure that simply acknowledging the existence is grounds for a lawsuit in the current form of the bill, "prohibiting classroom 22 discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity 23 in certain grade levels or in a specified manner;" but like others have said it is vague and has too much room for frivolous lawsuits.
Florida has a process for developing the relevant curriculum and approved the associated instructional materials. Nobody was just able to create this stuff and push it through in secret.

John park hopper

It is a trivial process.
Doesn't sound trivial
Yes, the school district has 7 days to acknowledge the concern and 30 days to remedy or describe why they won’t be remedying the concern.

If the parent feels the problem hasn’t been addressed after that point they can go to the review board or file a lawsuit.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think the point is no one should feel fear of retaliation for holding an opinion. These people aren't educators teaching our children, they're random everyday people working at Disney. They shouldn't have to fear that just because they don't think like the loud super-minority, that they would face repercussions, and that's their message. The same goes for the opposite side as well.
I worry it also radicalizes people, people who feel they are being silenced and have no voice will look for other ways to find a voice, whether that‘s finding likeminded people online, joining groups to oppose the “oppressors”, or just fuming inside while their hatred of the other side grows.

We are becoming more divided by the day, we’ve lost our ability to respectfully disagree.

lazyboy97o

Doesn't sound trivial
Yes, the school district has 7 days to acknowledge the concern and 30 days to remedy or describe why they won’t be remedying the concern.

If the parent feels the problem hasn’t been addressed after that point they can go to the review board or file a lawsuit.

View attachment 629087
Filing a complaint and waiting a month is difficult?

Vegas Disney Fan

It is a trivial process.
Technically the process to file any lawsuit in America is trivial. Feel wronged in even the slightest way and you can file a lawsuit, there’s no required threshold of proof to file, winning is more difficult though.

Even before this law people could sue the Florida school district, this law just sets up the process and allows the schools 30 days to address the issue before being sued.

lazyboy97o

Technically the process to file any lawsuit in America is trivial. Feel wronged in even the slightest way and you can file a lawsuit, there’s no required threshold of proof to file, winning is more difficult though.

Even before this law people could sue the Florida school district, this law just sets up the process and allows the schools 30 days to address the issue before being sued.
Yes, filing is easy but there are criteria for standing that courts consider. A parent unilaterally deciding they don’t like a publicly developed part of the curriculum is the sort of thing that would have been easily dismissed because there is a representative process and one person doesn’t get to override the larger community. Now that is no longer the case.

Even just requiring responses could cause problems for a district which will have to pay someone to review complaints and write those individual responses.

Court though isn’t really a desired outcome. Much better to just have districts afraid of complaints and suits so that they overly self censor. It allows the law to restrict speech without explicitly doing that because it’s done under threat from the public, not the government.

Artemicon

I worry it also radicalizes people, people who feel they are being silenced and have no voice will look for other ways to find a voice, whether that‘s finding likeminded people online, joining groups to oppose the “oppressors”, or just fuming inside while their hatred of the other side grows.

We are becoming more divided by the day, we’ve lost our ability to respectfully disagree.
This exactly. When you push ideas out of the social discourse it pushes those people into echo-chambers which often further radicalizes them. This isn't exclusive to one side. We all need to be accepting, but at the same time there are limits to acceptable discourse when it comes to age.

Rob562

What opponents to the bill are saying is that if a child is old enough to understand that Cinderella loved Prince Charming, that they can also understand that two men might love each other the same way. No one is teaching kids what Cinderella and Charming are doing up in the castle at night.

-Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom