Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemicon

And of course this legislation doesn’t actually prohibit teaching all sorts of acts to primary school students.
That's correct, but there are already rules against teaching sexual education, but it's very vague, and is sort of left up to interpretation by the phrase "age-appropriate". I'm not sure what that means in reference to typical age children learn these things in the public school system these days.

lazyboy97o

Not at all proven. It all depends on how you describe the bill to voters, which leads to different results. Of course, you seem to support the bill, so you're going to cherry-pick one survey and consider that the end of the argument.

The questions were also subtly different. All but three of the polls paraphrased the most debated provision of the bill, which states that "Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards." Only the tracking poll added context, noting that critics "say [the bill] will block important conversations about LGBTQ issues" and breaking down opinion about specific measures. Which approach is most accurate? There's no obvious answer.

https://theweek.com/politics/101179...on-floridas-dont-say-gay-bill-is-that-polling
Even here we clearly see supporters who very clearly do not want to associate with the stated intent of the legislation.

Magenta Panther

And oh, brother, Chapek actually doubles down. What an idiot. I visited Twitter to see how the Twits are reacting to the "Walt Disney" Company's self-destructive statement, and hoo boy, you wouldn't believe how many morons believe that "Disney" could have prevented the bill altogether. Or could wipe it out. Or do anything about it, beyond groveling to a bunch of self-righteous spoiled brats for imagined brownie points.

Meanwhile:

A new poll of Democrat voters in Florida shows that a majority of Democrats support limits on teaching sexual orientation in schools as required by the Parental Rights in Education bill.

The poll was conducted from March 17-20 for Floridians for Economic Advancement, a political committee that
has supported state legislative candidates from both parties.

The poll asked: “Should students in Kindergarten through 3rd Grade be taught about sexual orientation in the classroom by their teachers?”

The results indicated that 52 percent of Democrat voters answered “Somewhat No” or “Definitely No,” while 36 percent answered “Somewhat Yes” or “Definitely Yes.” There were 12 percent who answered ‘Not Sure.”

The survey results also showed that 36 percent of Democrat voters answered “Definitely No” and 18 percent answered “Definitely Yes.”

The poll’s findings are inconsistent with statements by high-level Democrat officials which indicate overwhelming opposition to the bill.

Cool to see an agreement between members of political parties for a change.

But good grief. The people that run Walt's company these days. I mean, people already know that Disney allowed a guy who was only a year out of prison for child molestation (Brian Peck) to direct the kids' show "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody", plus hired/fired/rehired James "Isn't pedo hilarious?" Gunn, among other outrageous missteps. Now this. Do the chumps at Disney really believe that MOST people in this country oppose the Florida bill? That most families do? And does it also seriously believe that Twitter represents a microcosm of American society, when, in point of fact, only 22% of American citizens use twitter, and roughly 10 percent of them do 80% of the tweets? What a stupid measurement to base a company's PR on. Yeesh.

lazyboy97o

I don't have to buy into it, there are examples of it already happening in other states. It's not a bad thing to put legislation in place that prevents it from happening.
Except the example people keep trying to point to of not discussing sex with primary school students isn’t in the legislation and language to that effect would have apparently gutted the bill.

Disstevefan1

64B7328B-08A9-4934-B07B-95255D1E8338.gif

NelsonRD

A situation that is only similar if teachers are teaching kids to be gay the way they can teach them to follow a specific religion.
It seems like you only want to argue if being gay is learned behavior or genetically determined, one that I was not referencing.

I am trying to discuss if there would be similar opinions, if we were discussing teacher involvement of religious values in school, opposed to sexual.

I believe in God. Is that learned or genetics? Because I know a lot of people that went to church school when they were kids that don’t believe in God as adults.

It is similar.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

It seems like you only want to argue if being gay is learned behavior or genetically determined, one that I was not referencing.

I am trying to discuss if there would be similar opinions, if we were discussing teacher involvement of religious values in school, opposed to sexual.

It is similar.
You keep insisting ongoing instruction is similar to a single answer to a question.

Teachers do discuss religious values in schools. Public schools are not prohibited from teaching about religion or religious persons. There’s also nothing wrong with acknowledging that different families have different religions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You keep insisting ongoing instruction is similar to a single answer to a question.

Teachers do discuss religious values in schools. Public schools are not prohibited from teaching about religion or religious persons. There’s also nothing wrong with acknowledging that different families have different religions.
public schools are generally “discouraged” from teaching practices and ideology…

…but you can’t teach history without religion…so common sense has to meet somewhere in the middle.

science…on the other hand…rock on.☄️🪐

Last edited:

NelsonRD

No, you keep insisting that it is an ongoing instruction. My argument is the same whether it is a single-one time conversation after school, or counseling.

Either way, do you believe that if a child believes in God from atheist parents, when they become an adult they can practice any religion they please. Or, do you believe that it is the teachers responsibility to be involved with children lives and discuss a child's interest with religion outside a teaching curriculum?

MrPromey

Happens any time the facts don't match their bias.
It only looks that way because people tend to only notice when their "side" gets the smack-down. I've seen complete arguments conversations get removed from this thread so I can assure you, it's happening to both "sides" in this debate when people cross a line.

Regarding politics and "biases" in general though, it helps for everyone to remember where we are. There are far better and more productive places to argue talk past debate others about political issues than a Disney fan forum.

For anyone here who feels their views on this subject are being censored, I'd suggest finding another outlet out there to discuss/argue it.

I'm not saying if you don't like it here, leave - just maybe consider voicing your views and opinions on this particular subject somewhere else more appropriate for political debate.

Last edited:
It only looks that way because people tend to only notice when their "side" gets the smack-down. I've seen complete arguments conversations get removed from this thread so I can assure you, it's happening to both "sides" in this debate when people cross a line.

Regarding politics and "biases" in general though, it helps for everyone to remember where we are. There are far better and more productive places to argue talk past debate others about political issues than a Disney fan forum.

For anyone here who feels their views on this subject are being censored, I'd suggest finding another outlet out there to discuss/argue it.

I'm not saying if you don't like it here, leave - just maybe consider voicing your views and opinions on this particular subject somewhere else more appropriate for political debate.
but yet the heading is called "don't say gay" bill...which is completely biased.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

Agreed.
Screenshot_20220329-025535~3.png

Vegas Disney Fan

When mom cleans she seems to really clean, not just offensive or overtly political posts but anything that gets too far off topic seems to get the axe also.

I’ve had several posts deleted that had nothing to do with politics or anything remotely controversial but since all the posts regarding that subtopic were deleted I just assume it’s to keep the thread on topic.

I’ve never gotten a why, if mom had to send a PM every time she deleted something the boards would come to a grinding halt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom