Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunningKoen

Getting a second opinion and having a say in our medical treatment is standard practice in America also, we aren’t a trusting lot.

And the lengths some people go to find a hairdresser that can do their hair “just how they want it” borders on neurotic.
A second opinion is still (another) professional with a degree doing its job, just like having a say isn't as extreme as overruling the expert.

This level of interference of parents into schools is way more extreme than that and imho, a direct claim that the schooled professional isnt capable of doing its job for that part.

The entire human society kinda relies on a system where each one takes a different role and does that kind of work for the community, so the entire group can excel because there's level of efficiency in that ...|

This almost is a way back with so many parents being busy with educating ... Maybe America will prosper as the land of the free and homescholing educational system. Flip the system! Full say in what your kids learn. Just each kid at home! :)
No more problems with school lunches etc etc. (no more school shootings is there isnt any school left?).

Didnt the pandemic proof how hard it can be to do teach ánd do your own job? :)

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
a direct claim that the schooled professional isnt capable of doing its job for that part.
Not so much the schooled professional. But the school system in general can’t do what they need to do properly educate children. And it shows in failing grades. US public schools ain’t great.

RunningKoen

Not making an argument for this particular bill. Just a general comment about parent involvement and the current trust level that exists. Although if they did focus more on math, reading, science and art. :p

A school (and the entire school system) has an enormous social function aswell. Education in nothing more than preparing the kids well enough for their adult life with all social skills and standard included. Kids who can learn , write and read without any problem but have no idea how to share, to work together, to respect others, to listen and to have patience, to observe others and others way of thinking and doing things, are worthless for most jobs :)

The relentless focus on grades, numbers and competition isn't doing this element of school justice. For any school and any school system to do well, you need enough trust for the parents. That seems to be the growing problem, not just over there.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
A school (and the entire school system) has an enormous social function aswell. Education in nothing more than preparing the kids well enough for their adult life with all social skills and standard included.

The relentless focus on grades, numbers and competition isn't doing this element of school justice. For any school and any school system to do well, you need enough trust for the parents. That seems to be the growing problem, not just over there.
We are in a very small school district where parents have an extremely close relationship with teachers and school officials. It’s not perfect, nothing is, but it works out really well IMO. It’s a community and there is constant communication. Maybe not everyone likes that type of atmosphere but I feel fortunate and think it’s very beneficial for my kids. Having that type of relationship in a large school district in a densely populated area…doesn’t seem possible. Maybe the larger districts need to be broken apart? I don’t know.

ImperfectPixie

Not making an argument for this particular bill. Just a general comment about parent involvement and the current trust level that exists. Although if they did focus more on math, reading, science and art. :p
Parents need to be more involved in their children's education at home and also be more supportive of the school system. They also need to realize that their children can be disobedient little jerks. I've grown close to multiple teachers in my sons' schools and from the stories I've heard...these would be a really good starting point. A huge part of the problem is that so many are convinced that it's "them vs. the teachers and school", when that's not the case at all. Teachers want the children they teach to be successful just as much as the parents do.

Vegas Disney Fan

I’ve used the men’s bathroom before. It was an emergency. I wasn’t going to use the bathroom on myself.

I know it’s old fashioned but I don’t think most people care if a woman goes into the mens room, it’s when a man goes into the womens room that people start to have a problem.

Right or wrong we are far more worried for/protective of our female family members being attacked by deranged men than we are worried about our male family members being attacked by deranged women, or even deranged gay men.

Californian Elitist

I know it’s old fashioned but I don’t think most people care if a woman goes into the mens room, it’s when a man goes into the womens room that people start to have a problem.

Right or wrong we are far more worried for/protective of our female family members being attacked by deranged men than we are worried about our male family members being attacked by deranged women, or even deranged gay men.
I know. One of many double standards in society.

I could have went in there to sexually harass men, though.

Vegas Disney Fan

I know. One of many double standards in society.

I could have went in there to sexually harass men, though.

Off topic a bit but I don’t think most people are worried about transgender people in bathrooms either, the same overprotective side comes out when it comes to kids bathrooms though, which creates the school bathroom controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom