Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney4Lyfe

The bill in question obviously energized the hard working and passionate cast members to discuss mass walk out. Anyone who is at WDW during the week of March 22 better pack a lot of patience if their vacation is slightly altered. It seems like the cast heard loud and clear on Chapek's message and cast are taking it to next level.
I disagree. I think the media energized the cast. I looked at the bill, and I don't see what is being portrayed. I keep asking for someone to point me in the right direction, but no one seems willing to do so. Am I looking at the wrong bill?

Quinnmac000

I disagree. I think the media energized the cast. I looked at the bill, and I don't see what is being portrayed. I keep asking for someone to point me in the right direction, but no one seems willing to do so. Am I looking at the wrong bill?

You know the only reason the media found out was because the cast members and staff complained so Bob had to respond?

Lilofan

It is unfortunate that possibly thousands of guests Spring Break vacation schedules at WDW parks and resorts may be affected if the passionate cast stage a mass walk out next week to get their message across on the upcoming bill that DeSantis is expected to sign. Last time I checked in general we get our news info from the media reporting on stories. I know some media folks that report with honesty and integrity however no group is perfect by any means.

Disney4Lyfe

It is unfortunate that possibly thousands of guests Spring Break vacation at WDW may be affected if the passionate cast stage a mass walk out next week to get their message across on the upcoming bill that DeSantis is expected to sign. Last time I checked in general we get our news info from the media reporting on stories. I know some media folks that report with honesty and integrity however no group is perfect by any means.
Hi Lilo. Could you point me in the right direction? I read the entire bill @TP2000 posted. That doesn't seem to be what is being discussed though. So can you link me to the correct thing? I am a bit lost.

Lilofan

Hi Lilo. Could you point me in the right direction? I read the entire bill @TP2000 posted. That doesn't seem to be what is being discussed though. So can you link me to the correct thing? I am a bit lost.
If you read the link posted from a member Ian, whereischapek , that's summarizes what the cast are thinking about.

marymarypoppins

I haven't read this entire thread but the wording of "Don't Say Gay Bill" is misleading but of course you guys know that. I did research into this bill because when I heard that phrase I was very discouraged and disappointed until I read it. I have a masters in Early Childhood Education and I am a NBCT so I know a little bit of what I am talking about in terms of grade / age level appropriateness and that is part of this bill. I have been on several committees to acquire curriculum for school districts and every single time our 2 main goals are to find curriculum that is grade/age level appropriate and that align with state standards. Than we focus on other important issues like making sure material is diverse and all the extras. If we do this for academic subjects it should also be done for teaching social issues as well . This bill is not anti LGBQT............................. it is protecting young learners from being forced to digest and process info or material that they are not ready for and honestly if the subject is brought up by a child it can be addressed through a casual conversation.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I haven't read this entire thread but the wording of "Don't Say Gay Bill" is misleading but of course you guys know that. I did research into this bill because when I heard that phrase I was very discouraged and disappointed until I read it. I have a masters in Early Childhood Education and I am NBCT so I know a little bit of what I am talking about in terms of grade / age level appropriateness and that is part of this bill. I have been on several committees to acquire curriculum for school districts and every single time our 2 main goals are to find curriculum that is grade/age level appropriate and that align with state standards. Than we focus on other important issues like making sure material is diverse and all the extras. If we do this for academic subjects it should also be done for teaching social issues as well . This bill is not anti LGBQT............................. it is protecting young learners from being forced digest and process info of material that they are not ready for and honestly if the subject is brought up by a child it can be addressed through a casual conversation.
I don't care how many education degrees you have. (I have one, too.)

The target of this bill is PEOPLE, not sex or sexuality.

So, according to Baxley himself, merely changing the verbiage from "sexual orientation and gender identity" to "human sexuality or sexual activity" would "gut the bill".

The purpose of this bill is absolutely to marginalize the LGBTQ+ community.
It was suggested to change the text of the bill to the above so as to "not marginalize anyone". The author's response was that such a move would "gut the bill"...the purpose is specifically to marginalize people. See the full article in the link.

Lilofan

Oh sorry. I thought we were discussing the bill in question.
Any FL elected official that voted for the Don't Say Gay Bill including DeSantis who is expected to sign in into law better think twice about attending a future Gay PRIDE parade in hopes of trying to earn some LGBTQ and their supporters votes. That would be hypocritical if that happens.

marymarypoppins

I don't care how many education degrees you have. (I have one, too.)

The target of this bill is PEOPLE, not sex or sexuality.

It was suggested to change the text of the bill to the above so as to "not marginalize anyone". The author's response was that such a move would "gut the bill"...the purpose is specifically to marginalize people. See the full article in the link.

Well if you read past the headline and actually read the material you would see your statement is false.
Also it is not about degrees but experience. Are you even in the classroom right now? Are you aware of what material is trying to be taught ? Honestly with all your degrees are you on board with books about masturbation being taught to second graders?

ImperfectPixie

Well if you read past the headline and actually read the material you would see your statement is false.
Also it is not about degrees but experience. Are you even in the classroom right now? Are you aware of what material is trying to be taught ? Honestly with all your degrees are you on board with books about masturbation being taught to second graders?
You might want to READ before you accuse someone of something you did yourself...or do you have difficulty understanding words? The below is pulled directly from the article itself.

Instead of restricting schools from teaching young kids about sexual orientation and gender identity, Brandes’ amendment would have stopped schools from conducting lessons on “human sexuality or sexual activity.” “If the intent is not to marginalize anyone. Let’s make sure we aren’t,” Brandes said. “Let’s be clear and clearly define and say that conversations about human sexuality or sexual activity that fall outside of state guidelines should not occur. We can do this.”
Sen. Dennis Baxley, R-Ocala, the bill’s sponsor, argued the amendment would “gut” the bill, but he did not elaborate. It was voted down mostly along party lines.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/po...-politics/article258886088.html#storylink=cpy

Where is masturbation being taught to second graders in classrooms? I'm pretty sure that would be a crime even before this law was passed. Which leads to another question...

There were already laws in place regarding parental rights and the ability to opt children out of classes. Why is this law so important again? OH YEAH - because it specifically targets LGBTQ+ people.

marymarypoppins

You might want to READ before you accuse someone of something you did yourself...or do you have difficulty understanding words? The below is pulled directly from the article itself.

Where is masturbation being taught to second graders in classrooms? I'm pretty sure that would be a crime even before this law was passed. Which leads to another question...

There were already laws in place regarding parental rights and the ability to opt children out of classes. Why is this law so important again? OH YEAH - because it specifically targets LGBTQ+ people.
As much as you are trying to convey some sass in your response I actually read the bill not some article with bias. I go to the source. Also for you other question try google.

marymarypoppins

Pretty sad when people are making light of something that can kill other people with whom they disagree. Not to mention that if it's a tornado, there are other people in the area who are at risk of dying. But yeah, karma...
Yes can you imagine if someone tried this same response but used Karma and HIV and not karma and tornadoes ??? Probably wouldn’t be very received here and yet here we are ! Also before the shrills come out I am not saying either are OK especially my example it’s just that an example.

Disney4Lyfe

I haven't read this entire thread but the wording of "Don't Say Gay Bill" is misleading but of course you guys know that. I did research into this bill because when I heard that phrase I was very discouraged and disappointed until I read it. I have a masters in Early Childhood Education and I am NBCT so I know a little bit of what I am talking about in terms of grade / age level appropriateness and that is part of this bill. I have been on several committees to acquire curriculum for school districts and every single time our 2 main goals are to find curriculum that is grade/age level appropriate and that align with state standards. Than we focus on other important issues like making sure material is diverse and all the extras. If we do this for academic subjects it should also be done for teaching social issues as well . This bill is not anti LGBQT............................. it is protecting young learners from being forced digest and process info of material that they are not ready for and honestly if the subject is brought up by a child it can be addressed through a casual conversation.
I think the bill must say something else. Because the breathless coverage and social media outrage don’t seem to match up with the text of the bill.

ImperfectPixie

As much as you are trying to convey some sass in your response I actually read the bill not some article with bias. I go to the source. Also for you other question try google.
So, you're not going to take the word of the bill's author (those were direct quotes in the article). Interesting. How about I show you some videos of him talking about how he feels about LGBTQ+ people? (Here's a hint - it's not good, and further clarifies that the purpose of the bill is to marginalize that community.)

I've read the bill, too. It's verbiage targets people, not sex or sexual activities.

No, I'm not going to Google - you made a claim, you back it up. Just like I did.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

So, you're not going to take the word of the bill's author (those were direct quotes in the article). Interesting. How about I show you some videos of him talking about how he feels about LGBTQ+ people? (Here's a hint - it's not good, and further clarifies that the purpose of the bill is to marginalize that community.)

I've read the bill, too. It verbiage targets people, not sex or sexual activities.

No, I'm not going to Google - you made a claim, you back it up. Just like I did.
Clearly the cameras are biased and making him repeatedly say things he doesn’t really mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom