Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

jt04

It was quite frankly workable...it was never updated and refreshed... EPCOT Center could be entirely relevant today, it was just allowed to flounder.

Easy to say. But the problems are significant. I think Eisner recognized this 20 years ago. To his credit.

jt04

Destroying the park. Welcome to MK2.0. It could have been so much more without being like 1982 again. The disastrous decisions currently being made will be the Bobs legacy in P&R circles.

Such a shame.

Even at peak EPCOT Center there was a very large percentage of guests with whom the concept did not resonate.

Disney probably made a mistake trying to build a Science and Technology museum something or other.

I agree it has a very passionate and dedicated fan base but they need something that appeals to most guests. IMO.

Missing20K

Like I said I care very little anymore.
tenor.gif

jt04

The only thing that will keep the park from having a great 'future' would be insufficient investment. Even if it has to happen over many quarters. All at once would be nicer though.

IMO.

Rodan75

The only thing that will keep the park from having a great 'future' would be insufficient investment. Even if it has to happen over many quarters. All at once would be nicer though.

IMO.

I think there is a point to that. But I also think that Chapek is making a conscious decision to move away from what the 80's parks fans liked/wanted and working toward making sure there are things in the parks that will trigger nostalgia in 15 years for all of the 8 year olds going to the parks now with their parents. I think it is fair that we don't like that...we are...the olds. As long as they keep a fair balance of continuous nostalgia for all ages they are doing their job for P&R.

He pretty much said as much in the NYT profile.

I still disagree that Epcot was a raging success in the late 80's early 90's. Again, I remember a lot of discounting for Epcot at that time that didn't exist for MK. Part of that may just be that the park was a capacity monster, so they could afford to discount, but I remember being very singular in my love for the park while all of my family, friends and peers pretty much thought it was BORING. Epcot is a problem for them we can all disagree on the correct solution, but I don't think there is a 'right answer' that would please most people and maximize investment.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I was hating on $hapek before it was cool. He's all about advertisement and IP placement, nothing more. Thematic integrity is a thing of the past.

Though I will judge EPCOT and its direction when I visit in Jan, It'll be interesting because I didn't grow up with WDW / EPCOT, so I wont have any biases when I attend. I think $hapek's practices are atrocious on the West, I'll have to see for myself what he's done to the East.

Rodan75

He isn't king and these decisions will be made by many people far above him. IMO.

I don't know how true that is. He is a direct report to Iger. So Chapek makes most of these decisions and gets approval for investment from both Iger and the board.

It is fair to complain about Chapek if you don't like the direction of the parks. I also think he has done a great job of justifying this round of investment, hopefully he delivers. TSL wasn't a great start to his tenure.

tparris

So would you be OK with IP as long as it tied to the theme? Say, if they redid Seas and really made it about marine life (a la Finding Dory's Marine Life Institute), or with Mulan narrating a film about China history and culture? Or even Guardians if it were to talk about the Science of the Universe?
No, I’m definitely not ok with it in the slightest. However, I would much rather have something like Ellen or Lion King instead of GotG or Frozen or something else totally unrelated to Epcot.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I don't know how true that is. He is a direct report to Iger. So Chapek makes most of these decisions and gets approval for investment from both Iger and the board.

It is fair to complain about Chapek if you don't like the direction of the parks. I also think he has done a great job of justifying this round of investment, hopefully he delivers. TSL wasn't a great start to his tenure.

Don't forget Pixar Pier, Mission Breakout, Marvel Land, Hyperspace Mountain, Pixar Fest.. All rushed garbage at the DL resort, IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom