Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Sir_Cliff

There is also a third group. Those who do not want Epcot to go back to what it was nor turn to into MK 2.0 either.

There are those who would like to actually see Epcot evolve and retain its distinctiveness while still promoting the core principals the park was founded on. Sadly, many people believe that those principles were nothing more than "technology" and that since we now have smartphones in our pockets that it would be an act of futility to do anything aside from cramming Wreck it Ralph, Big Hero 6 or Inside Out into every corner o the park.
I also feel more strongly about the need to keep Epcot as something distinctive than calling for some kind of restoration of classic Epcot.

Obviously the original concept and execution of Future World had flaws and I don't think it work today given the rapidity with which technology evolves. I don't know exactly what they can do to address this, but science museums are still popular so if they could manage a hybrid of a science museum and a theme park on a scale that only Disney can do that should work. They managed something similar with Animal Kingdom as a zoo/theme park hybrid. The problem with what they're doing is that there seems to be no coherent direction and it is drifting into being a fairly random collection of theme park attractions with nothing much to differentiate it from the other Orlando theme parks beyond the name and the icon.

World Showcase has far more obvious potential to remain distinctive and offer a more diverse array of experiences for different visitors, including rides, shows, films, and exhibitions. I think it is also the area where the sense that Epcot caters to a broader age range and tries to elevate the theme park concept at least a little has survived far more intact. Taking the example of the France pavilion, having the Ratatouille ride and Impressiones de France, themed shopping and dining experiences, and live entertainment does provide a reasonable mix of experiences. In this context, I'm certainly not allergic to IP being part of the mix. I am a little worried, though, that they're now going to screw up that mix with things like the Beauty & the Beast sing-a-long increasingly edging out attractions such as IDF. Then you're just left with Disney characters around the world...

Last edited:

jt04

In the future Future World (or whatever it will be named) should be known as, "that place with all the mega E-tickets dude".

Nothing else really matters much. And the marketing will be super cheap.

jt04

Are you saying FW will have a unifying theme when it’s done, like Seuss, Potter, etc? What will it be?

I think most people would consider IoA more theme park than amusement park. I am sure there have been some very entertaining discussions on the subject. And I can definitely see both sides of the argument.

I could see what is now Future World becoming much more like IoA. Perhaps with a thin backstory to tie it together unlike IoA.

Lucky

I think most people would consider IoA more theme park than amusement park. I am sure there have been some very entertaining discussions on the subject. And I can definitely see both sides of the argument.

I could see what is now Future World becoming much more like IoA. Perhaps with a thin backstory to tie it together unlike IoA.
At IoA each “land” is themed, some of them very impressively. FW is more like a land than a park.

jt04

At IoA each “land” is themed, some of them very impressively. FW is more like a land than a park.

I agree. That is the reason it can't be IoA 2.0.

But with a thread that lightly ties the pavilions together it might just work thematically as a hybrid between IoA and FW.

GlacierGlacier

Is there a backstory for IoA? I seriously do not know.
There's a document that is available to staff at Universal Creative (but you do have to dig for it) that documents an overarching story about IoA.

Apparently it's like fanfic quality.

The Harry Potter stuff was even ret-conned in, but it was written in a different font thanks to the fact that it was written so much later than the original document.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom