Boat Ride Rumor

doctornick

The working title for now is "Nav'i River Journey"

Seems fine, even if that ended up the final title. Does seem to imply that there will be some interaction/encounter with the Nav'i specifically on the ride, as opposed to just viewing nature.

Do you have any ideas as to the specifics of the ride (e.g. indoor/outdoor, ride mechanics like the boat being able to be pointed different directions, length of the ride, etc.)?

RSoxNo1

The leaked blueprints show this entering the E-ticket ride building. The question is, is this the only indoor portion of the attraction.

LostPrincessKarleigh

No. It is still being called "Flight of Passage"

I like that as a title. I mean, in the Avatar movie, being chosen by your ikran, or banshee, was a major right of passage which had to be sealed with a "first flight." I still stand by my statement that, should they do things right and not cut major corners, avatar land will be spectacular, IMHO. :)

doctornick

The leaked blueprints show this entering the E-ticket ride building. The question is, is this the only indoor portion of the attraction.

Assuming that the leaked blueprints accurately reflect the currently being developed plans.

I say that because there was a significant period of time (probably 9 months or so) between the leak and when we heard that Cameron and Disney had finally agreed to proceed. And we have insiders saying that the deal was close to collapsing during that time. I personally suspect that Cameron was not happy with the plans from the leaked blueprint period and eventually got Disney to agree to something "better". So, I'm hesitant to believe that the leaked plans are definitely what is being developed.

NoChesterHester

Assuming that the leaked blueprints accurately reflect the currently being developed plans.

I say that because there was a significant period of time (probably 9 months or so) between the leak and when we heard that Cameron and Disney had finally agreed to proceed. And we have insiders saying that the deal was close to collapsing during that time. I personally suspect that Cameron was not happy with the plans from the leaked blueprint period and eventually got Disney to agree to something "better". So, I'm hesitant to believe that the leaked plans are definitely what is being developed.

You could be right. This is all speculation.

"Better" however could have been a proper allocation of budget toward the secondary attraction. Better three dimensional set theming on a family boat ride costs big bucks and will be a massive hit if done right.

doctornick

You could be right. This is all speculation.

"Better" however could have been a proper allocation of budget toward the secondary attraction. Better three dimensional set theming on a family boat ride costs big bucks and will be a massive hit if done right.

Agreed. "Better" is very vague and could be any number of things. It might be just better detailing of the land and on the rides. I don't think any of us know and I don't recall any reliable insider providing much information about the current state of the project. In fact IIRC, there is a lot of secrecy surrounding it, so leaks might be hard to come by for some time.

I'm not dismissing that the leaked plans could be what we end up seeing built more or less; only that I'm leery of automatically assuming that is what is being developed. It's certainly conceivable that the currently plans are highly modified from that or even altogether different.

NoChesterHester

Agreed. "Better" is very vague and could be any number of things. It might be just better detailing of the land and on the rides. I don't think any of us know and I don't recall any reliable insider providing much information about the current state of the project. In fact IIRC, there is a lot of secrecy surrounding it, so leaks might be hard to come by for some time.

I'm not dismissing that the leaked plans could be what we end up seeing built more or less; only that I'm leery of automatically assuming that is what is being developed. It's certainly conceivable that the currently plans are highly modified from that or even altogether different.

We all saw those plans. Even if those were the plans, they were early schematics and not fully developed construction documents.

Tom

Beta Return
I think Soarin 2.0 is selling it short. Just because it is screen based doesn't make it Soarin.

I agree with you - a highly themed ride vehicle would be awesome!

I agree. This ride/show apparatus is extremely unlike Soarin. If we hadn't had Soarin first, and they used this system, people would be blown away. Calling it Soarin 2.0 is like calling any Disney coaster "Matterhorn 2.0"

space42

I agree. This ride/show apparatus is extremely unlike Soarin. If we hadn't had Soarin first, and they used this system, people would be blown away. Calling it Soarin 2.0 is like calling any Disney coaster "Matterhorn 2.0"
Horizons did Soarin' MUCH better than Soarin' does Soarin'... in 1983

space42

That sounds like a pretty wild opinion. For its time, the Horizons tech was amazing, but to compare that to Soarin is like comparing apples to bricks. Yes, Horizons had a large screen, but that is where the similarities end.

Horizons used the exact same IMAX film technology as Soarin'. In fact, it had two separate OmniMAX domes and only equated to about 2 minutes of a 17 minute long mega E-Ticket.

My opinion is that Horizons was a much better use of the technology since the IMAX portion was only a very small part of a much larger experience. That experience was grander in just about every conceivable way ( scale, scope, and execution ) to Soarin'. It also didn't lean on the technology to sell it's story the way that Soarin' does.

I am just hoping that whatever the headliner attraction is for Pandora, it'll be something a little more 'evolved' than being suspended in front of an IMAX screen (3d or not).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom