Boat Ride Rumor

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saw this posted over at Screamscape. Yes, I know it's Screamscape, but I thought it was worth posting anyway:

" (2/5/14) I’m not sure how true this one, but we’ve heard it said that the boat ride going into Pandora: The World of Avatar may be somewhat similar in feel to Pirates of the Caribbean. The fantasy ride through the bio-luminescent world of Pandora may include encounters with animatronic creatures, very cool lighting and projection effects and perhaps a small drop or two along the way to keep things exciting."

NoChesterHester

Saw this posted over at Screamscape. Yes, I know it's Screamscape, but I thought it was worth posting anyway:

" (2/5/14) I’m not sure how true this one, but we’ve heard it said that the boat ride going into Pandora: The World of Avatar may be somewhat similar in feel to Pirates of the Caribbean. The fantasy ride through the bio-luminescent world of Pandora may include encounters with animatronic creatures, very cool lighting and projection effects and perhaps a small drop or two along the way to keep things exciting."

Here's hoping.

Tom

Beta Return
In other news... the air in Florida may have a somewhat similar feel to the air in Georgia..

They are really going out on a limb here aren't they!

They can't be "wrong" this way.

Anyone who's seen the plans, or who has read one of the MANY individual reviews and interpretations of them on the web, will know that there's a simple PotC-esque boat ride shown. Saying there will be Avatar-esque stuff in the ride is elementary knowledge.

But that's how SS gets hits, and followers.

NoChesterHester

They can't be "wrong" this way.

Anyone who's seen the plans, or who has read one of the MANY individual reviews and interpretations of them on the web, will know that there's a simple PotC-esque boat ride shown. Saying there will be Avatar-esque stuff in the ride is elementary knowledge.

But that's how SS gets hits, and followers.

Well sure - but I took away from the statement that the scale of the ride would be similar to Pirates. Big dark ride with a story and controlled show scenes. It was previously described on this site as more "living with the land" then Pirates in approach.

Mike730

Well sure - but I took away from the statement that the scale of the ride would be similar to Pirates. Big dark ride with a story and controlled show scenes. It was previously described on this site as more "living with the land" then Pirates in approach.
I wouldn't be surprised if it started out Living-with-the-Land-esque and then transitioned into POTC-esque. Perhaps like the safari used to be - "Hey look at this cool nature stuff! WAIT! OH NO! AN EXCITING DIVERSION!" - pretending that it doesn't have a storyline.

twebber55

I wouldn't be surprised if it started out Living-with-the-Land-esque and then transitioned into POTC-esque. Perhaps like the safari used to be - "Hey look at this cool nature stuff! WAIT! OH NO! AN EXCITING DIVERSION!" - pretending that it doesn't have a storyline.
yeah thats how i ve always envisioned it...starting out like living with the land and then going inside to the bioluminescent rain forest at night and confronting the animals with a small drop or two

tl77

The size of the space in this concept art made me think of a Pirates/Small World type show-building

disney-world-avatar-land-3.jpg

msteel

What would be impressive would be physical sets with that kind of visual impact, plus a boat ride that uses LPS to give multiple dynamic ride paths.

Skibum1970

That's because you can't tell that whole view is a actually a video wall ;)

I'll still take it. I wasn't a fan of the IP but this kind of ride can be made to be very impressive. Of course, I'm not a true WDW fan because I think that Spiderman's usage of video and 3D is pretty awesome. I do wonder how long the ride might be. A nice 6 minute ride like POTC would be great.

tl77

What would be impressive would be physical sets with that kind of visual impact, plus a boat ride that uses LPS to give multiple dynamic ride paths.

The boat in the concept art is much smaller than all the other boat rides, Pirates, Small World, and Mexico all have the same kind of boats which are much larger holding about 30 people. The Maelstrom boats are 4 rows that hold 3 people or 12 max, WDW's Splash Mountain has 4 rows of 2 people/8 max. It's hard to tell from the concept art what to expect, but it shows large sets like Pirates/Small World, a small Splash Mt. flume style boat, and looking at that image something with multiple paths might be a possibility

doctornick

The boat in the concept art is much smaller than all the other boat rides, Pirates, Small World, and Mexico all have the same kind of boats which are much larger holding about 30 people. The Maelstrom boats are 4 rows that hold 3 people or 12 max, WDW's Splash Mountain has 4 rows of 2 people/8 max. It's hard to tell from the concept art what to expect, but it shows large sets like Pirates/Small World, a small Splash Mt. flume style boat, and looking at that image something with multiple paths might be a possibility

But the reality is that the concept art likely doesn't have any bearing on the true ride specifics. I mean, doesn't the concept art for "Soarin'" type ride actually show a person alone sitting on a banshee?

Anyway, I hope it does not have a drop like Splash. This should not be a thrill ride and should be all ages accessable -- the park needs family style rides. Now if it uses some sort of LPS type system to travel along different paths, well, that's cool. And a small fall like POTC is fine, though I don't see the point unless it is needed for ride mechanics (to get to a different level like in POTC) or as part of the story (like the fall backwards in Maelstrom).

tl77

But the reality is that the concept art likely doesn't have any bearing on the true ride specifics. I mean, doesn't the concept art for "Soarin'" type ride actually show a person alone sitting on a banshee?

Anyway, I hope it does not have a drop like Splash. This should not be a thrill ride and should be all ages accessable -- the park needs family style rides. Now if it uses some sort of LPS type system to travel along different paths, well, that's cool. And a small fall like POTC is fine, though I don't see the point unless it is needed for ride mechanics (to get to a different level like in POTC) or as part of the story (like the fall backwards in Maelstrom).

well it's allegedly a boat ride, with real boats in real water, beyond that no one knows what to expect, but I agree AK needs family style dark ride it's the one thing that park is missing

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom