Boat Ride Rumor

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I agree. This ride/show apparatus is extremely unlike Soarin. If we hadn't had Soarin first, and they used this system, people would be blown away. Calling it Soarin 2.0 is like calling any Disney coaster "Matterhorn 2.0"

Don't be ridiculous. There is no such thing as the Matterhorn 2.0. There is the Matterhorn, the Matterhorn in space, the Matterhorn in desert, and the Matterhorn that's a boat.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My opinion is that Horizons was a much better use of the technology since the IMAX portion was only a very small part of a much larger experience. That experience was grander in just about every conceivable way ( scale, scope, and execution ) to Soarin'. It also didn't lean on the technology to sell it's story the way that Soarin' does.

Meh... the imax portions of Horizons were just like that... an Imax movie. Soarin adds so much more. The articulation, the 'you are flying' film, a better soundtrack, the 'suprise' lift into position, etc.

And this is coming from a huge Horizons guy.. I just don't oversell it.

Scuttle

I often wonder is our nostalgia greater than the real thing? Horizons was epic in scope and in message. I remember loving it. I also remember how horribly dated it was by its end.
My favorite part was the birthday scene with the Skype/FaceTime going on. That certainly wasn't dated, yet anyway, in the late 90's. But yes most of the attraction would certainly not hold up today, but what a ride it was for it's time.

morningstar

Seems fine, even if that ended up the final title. Does seem to imply that there will be some interaction/encounter with the Nav'i specifically on the ride, as opposed to just viewing nature.

Now I'm imagining something like the Great Movie Ride, except instead of a cowboy or a gangster, a 10 foot tall blue alien commandeers your boat. They could mix it up and sometimes a 10 foot tall mech does it.

Last edited:

morningstar

That sounds like a pretty wild opinion. For its time, the Horizons tech was amazing, but to compare that to Soarin is like comparing apples to bricks. Yes, Horizons had a large screen, but that is where the similarities end.

That is where the similarities end, and the differences are where Horizons is superior. Horizons was a multifaceted experience, not a one-trick pony.

MOXOMUMD

Now I'm imagining something like the Great Movie Ride, except instead of a cowboy or a gangster, a 10 foot tall blue alien commandeers your boat. They could mix it up and sometimes a 10 foot tall mech does it.
Don't see this ever happening. They'd want continuous flow of the boats.

dstrawn9889

that kind of show had its day, but the new $ conscious Disney would not hire 2 CM's per Boat per shift to keep it running... when they can have NO CM's per boat for tons less. Automation is the future

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom