Boat ride might not be happening after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incomudro

I believe that the Avatar boat ride will be beautiful and wonderous.
I don't believe it will be packed as visually dense as Pirates is however.
It can't be really, because the theme doesn't lend itself to that.
I believe that avatar ride will be its own thing really.
A visual spectacle of color and lighting, with hidden animatronic creatures - perhaps a scare here or there as one emerges.
But I'm believing this will be primarily a slow beautiful cruise of dazzling visuals.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A visual spectacle of color and lighting, with hidden animatronic creatures - perhaps a scare here or there as one emerges.
But I'm believing this will be primarily a slow beautiful cruise of dazzling visuals.

Wait!? Are you saying the boat ride hasn't been canceled?

jt04

It could surpass pirates by utilizing arched ceilings with projections and/or an imagineered canopy of rock work and foliage. If you look closely on classic dark rides you can see "backstage" elements. Looking forward to the day of nextgen immersion. It can happen.

DisDan

One other possibility is they are withholding information about the boat ride because they really want to have some BIG surprises when the land opens. Also, it's possible the ride has morphed into something different than was originally intended and therefore some of the details on the ride are as of yet, unfinished. That is probably unlikely since construction is well underway at this point. I think this will be a GRAND experience and they really want to WOW everyone and don't want to reveal too much about the ride just yet. Additionally, there could be some spoilery things in this ride with the new movies so perhaps some details are being withheld for the sake of the new movies? Also, unlikely, but a possibility.

twebber55

One other possibility is they are withholding information about the boat ride because they really want to have some BIG surprises when the land opens. Also, it's possible the ride has morphed into something different than was originally intended and therefore some of the details on the ride are as of yet, unfinished. That is probably unlikely since construction is well underway at this point. I think this will be a GRAND experience and they really want to WOW everyone and don't want to reveal too much about the ride just yet. Additionally, there could be some spoilery things in this ride with the new movies so perhaps some details are being withheld for the sake of the new movies? Also, unlikely, but a possibility.
also they still have 18 months or so before opening so lots can be still announced...dont want to give it all away at D23

AEfx

What is so difficult about a boat ride with Audio Animatronics and themed areas that Disney has been doing since Jungle Cruise opened in 1955??

Isn't it crazy?

I mean, really.

Why does Disney want to do everything but the thing that made their parks most memorable to begin with, that is so straight forward it's not even funny.

The boat ride is the only thing I am looking forward to with this project, so I hope they don't muck it up.

Thelazer

Boat Ride, is a cover story... you'll really be seated on a HP style robotic arm, themed as a banshee. This then travels the "boat ride" path as you fly over and thru the bio-forest. The arm, then moves on it's base, into the larger 3D theater, were it docks into the lifting mechanism, up into the theater and allows you to then "fly" over the world while watching the screens.

Opps, I spoiled it.. er I mean, sorry.. I WOULD HAVE spoiled it, had UNIVERSAL CREATIVE been in charge of this sucker.
That's how you build a E Ticket RIDE... but sadly, you won't ever see that happen at Disney again.

DisDan

Boat Ride, is a cover story... you'll really be seated on a HP style robotic arm, themed as a banshee. This then travels the "boat ride" path as you fly over and thru the bio-forest. The arm, then moves on it's base, into the larger 3D theater, were it docks into the lifting mechanism, up into the theater and allows you to then "fly" over the world while watching the screens.

Opps, I spoiled it.. er I mean, sorry.. I WOULD HAVE spoiled it, had UNIVERSAL CREATIVE been in charge of this sucker.
That's how you build a E Ticket RIDE... but sadly, you won't ever see that happen at Disney again.

I'm sorry but that is a terrible idea.

doctornick

I'm sorry but that is a terrible idea.

Agreed. DAK really can use a proper well themed dark ride -- a POTC would be the kind of addition that helps to balance out the park.

I personally don't get the fascination with using complex tech over the quality of the experience. Uni gets lauded for their use of groundbreaking tech, deservedly so, but you don't have to have complex ride systems to make a truly awesome experience. There's a lot more that goes into a ride than how the vehicle moves and aspects like the visuals and soundtrack can often impact the quality of a ride more than the type of ride mechanics.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Agreed. DAK really can use a proper well themed dark ride -- a POTC would be the kind of addition that helps to balance out the park.

I personally don't get the fascination with using complex tech over the quality of the experience. Uni gets lauded for their use of groundbreaking tech, deservedly so, but you don't have to have complex ride systems to make a truly awesome experience. There's a lot more that goes into a ride than how the vehicle moves and aspects like the visuals and soundtrack can often impact the quality of a ride more than the type of ride mechanics.

But if you can create an awesome experience AND use a new ride system at the same time, that is a bonus, because a new ride system may allow you to present the experience in a way that no other ride has done so far. Imagine back when Disney was first designing Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. They could have made a great omni-mover based dark ride, but instead they took it to the next level by introducing a new ride system.

doctornick

But if you can create an awesome experience AND use a new ride system at the same time, that is a bonus, because a new ride system may allow you to present the experience in a way that no other ride has done so far. Imagine back when Disney was first designing Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. They could have made a great omni-mover based dark ride, but instead they took it to the next level by introducing a new ride system.

Absolutely. I'm not saying don't use or develop new tech, just that I think some people are more fascinated with tech over the ride experience itself.

In regards to the boat ride specifically, I'd love to see them use the tech that is going into the shanghai POTC. But what I wouldn't want is for the boat ride to be "thrilling" in any way that would limit riders who could experience it (and I'm not just talking height restriction, but also people who don't tolerate the motion of faster moving rides).

JohnWD

"if you" "may allow" lol. The sky's the limit when you caveat like this! :)

PorterRedkey

Absolutely. I'm not saying don't use or develop new tech, just that I think some people are more fascinated with tech over the ride experience itself.

In regards to the boat ride specifically, I'd love to see them use the tech that is going into the shanghai POTC. But what I wouldn't want is for the boat ride to be "thrilling" in any way that would limit riders who could experience it (and I'm not just talking height restriction, but also people who don't tolerate the motion of faster moving rides).

I hope any tech they use is undetectable. The best Disney attraction use effects that do not highlight the tech, but make you believe in the atmosphere. People complain about the paper fire effects in Pirates, but I love the illusion. Some time it is better to go lo-fi. Just because you spend a bunch of money on effects, doesn't mean they are better.

As fall far as the boat ride being thrilling, I think a small Pirates-like drop would be welcome. This would still make it a family attraction like Pirates.

wishiwere@wdw

The boat ride has been cancelled. The slow beautiful cruise of dazzling visuals is still going to happen.
May have already been said but my gut tells me this will be a reboot of the Discovery River Boats. There is quite a bit they can do now with the visuals; especially at night.

AEfx

And then barely used that amazing new ride system.

I think the point is, say, with something like 7DMT - the little "sway" thing cost a lot of money in R&D, undoubtedly. Just to be "different". When, I think you'll find, most folks would have been happier with an extra few show scenes, which probably would have been cheaper.

AmUK

For what reason would the cancel the boat ride?

Not wanting to spend money?

If so, why would they not want to spend money?

Lastly, would James Cameron be okay with them not building everything to the specification they agreed with him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom