Bloggers and Podcasters need to be controlled

The Empress Lilly

Doesn't this mean that Lou Mongello should now be barred from any Disney park east of the Mississippi?
wink1.gif

tomman710

Or perhaps we wouldn't mind the bloggers being given what they do, were they to actually reveal the fact as part of their supposedly unbiased and neutral reports and reviews.....

EXACTLY.

The whole "if you don't like it you are jealous" argument is ridiculous. Mongello wouldn't be such a target if he admitted and disclosed why he can conduct private tours on property (that no one else can) for profit or how he is on the "payroll" so to speak or why NOTHING, not even Stitch's Supersonic Celebration garners a critical or negative review ... Jim Hill should disclose the reasons that prompted him to write that infamous article where he basically said "shut up fans, TDO is spending and doing great" ... etc ... etc ...

The problem we have is these guys "opinions" are put out there as genuine when in reality they are rooted deep in the Disney PR and hype machine.

Lokheed

Looks to me more like a namecheck to someone who may be a friend or something rather than part of an overall corporate scheme to boost the Lou Mongello brand...

Yup. My name appears as a villain in a U.K. Star Wars comic from earlier this year. It's not because LucasFilm is trying to promote me, it's because the author of that particular comic is an acquaintance of mine who thought I would be tickled to become a Star Wars villain. The only evil intent there is my own (since according to the comic I was imprisoned for murder and incitement to murder). It happens.

sweetpee_1993

Methinks that the people that complain about bloggers getting treated well, are just jealous.

Personally, I pride myself in my ability to not be for sale. No part of me can be bought. Sorry. The gripes I pick up aren't about what these sell-outs get, its the deception in taking the handouts then putting themselves out there as unofficial or non-biased. Sorry, if you're on the gifty-list and taking the goodies you've now got a vested interest in being Mickey's toy.

GLaDOS

Yup. My name appears as a villain in a U.K. Star Wars comic from earlier this year. It's not because LucasFilm is trying to promote me, it's because the author of that particular comic is an acquaintance of mine who thought I would be tickled to become a Star Wars villain. The only evil intent there is my own (since according to the comic I was imprisoned for murder and incitement to murder). It happens.

Personally, I don't think the name drop is curious, but the name drop of the podcast/company is. Especially, as someone who's a comic fan, a WDW reporter covering the dying Doctor Octopus makes no sense.

Lee

Adventurer
Personally, I don't think the name drop is curious, but the name drop of the podcast/company is. Especially, as someone who's a comic fan, a WDW reporter covering the dying Doctor Octopus makes no sense.
This.
Just Lou's name (first or last) would be a namecheck among friends.
His full name and the website, though....that's a bit more. That does seem to border on promotion.

The Empress Lilly

458603_10152343546240099_1892488795_o.jpg
it's just the name.. it's not like they said "Ricky Brigante is the best WDW podcaster in the tri-state area!!"..
But isn't there a certain in-joke here? Great satire? The subject turns to the press being parasites without integrity, and immediately Lou Mongello is named. For WDW Radio. The least trusthworthy, least serious form of press in modern America.
America's press is portrayed as a kind of risible circus. There is a serious issue, and it is being covered by a clown from a theme park radio station.

Spirit could've written the captions above.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
If you read this it's actually a dig at podcasters/bloggers and current media. They do call them parasites.

the.dreamfinder

While I'm certainly not fond of Lou, this isn't the first time something like this has happened. Minor Cameos happen all the time.
Here are some examples
Neil deGrasse Tyson (Superman)
tysonsupes1_custom-dbbe1ca424c4adaefed63eb3fd547c0bc9b73521-s4.jpg

This American Life (X-Men)
xmen_site2.jpg

The difference is that those folks have made significant contributions to society, be it culture (This American Life) or scientific literacy (Dr. deGrasse Tyson). Lou ...

asianway

Did it also mention your for profit website which is in direct competition with another division of the publishers parent company? Just curious

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
My question is...why would Disney give preferential treatment to a bunch of message board know it alls that continuously trash their company? Not that hard to figure this whole thing out, really.

I guess it should just give preferential treatment to those who do nothing but sing its praises? As if Disney is suddenly concerned about less-than-glowing reviews?

Kuhio

The subject turns to the press being parasites without integrity, and immediately Lou Mongello is named. For WDW Radio. The least trusthworthy, least serious form of press in modern America.

If you read this it's actually a dig at podcasters/bloggers and current media. They do call them parasites.

Be very careful what you post. Apparently, if you say anything that could remotely be considered negative about a public figure and how he conducts himself, you might be at risk of being sued for libel or slander or some such thing.

I learned that earlier this year, from some of the preeminent legal scholars who happen to frequent these boards.

The Empress Lilly

Be very careful what you post. Apparently, if you say anything that could remotely be considered negative about a public figure and how he conducts himself, you might be at risk of being sued for libel or slander or some such thing.

I learned that earlier this year, from some of the preeminent legal scholars who happen to frequent these boards.
Great! I'm always in the mood for a fine bout. They can come and 'ave it.
duel.gif

WDW1974

I'll post the photo when I get home, but Lou Mongello and his show received a nod in the latest issue of Spiderman (Issue #700).

The nod itself is harmless, but it reinforces the preferential treatment that he and others are getting to cover the parks.

Here's a suggestion for Disney - publicize a list of "Disney approved" bloggers as an extension or part of the Disney Mom's Panel. There is deception going on here that is a problem. Part of me wants to stop talking about it and Disney all together because the level of negativity I feel towards the company increases on a daily basis.

I know this forum gets a lot of crap but I'd like to once again take the opportunity to praise Steve for what he does. He has his opinions that he puts on the forums, but the content on his site is thorough and fact based. In a sea of non-sense it's nice to have someone that's doing things correctly.

I have heard about this all afternoon and am just free now to post thoughts. ... I am sort of sick about it because it places Lou in a category all by himself. People at a VERY high level are supposed to get approval before anything like this is done. Now, maybe Marvel is just playing by its own rules and not the Mouse's and maybe Lou has a pal, but I know just what it takes to get a Buzz Lightyear toy or Pooh plush inserted on an ABC product like 'General Hospital' and it involves lawyers. ... Here, you have an 'independent' Disney Lifestyler who is getting a plug and one for his business in the actual story of a comic (regardless of whether 99.7% of readers will have a clue). ... Well, you have a whole can of worms here. ... I'm guessing Wannabe Lou is going to get himself placed in Wonder Woman to show Disney a thing or two.:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom