Blizzard Beach Construction

LittleBuford

Because Disney used to be better than this. Olaf, sure, fine, maybe he’s visiting blizzard beach because: snow. But why are Anna and Elsa there? It would be like giving the France pavilion a Cars playground because people in France drive cars there. It just seems lazy and thoughtless to the overall stroytelling of the existing park.
I don’t think it’s as random as you make it sound, nor do I think it’s out of keeping with Disney’s established approach, which has often placed things where they don’t strictly belong because they seem to fit in other ways. Disneyland’s Star Tours has been in Tomorrowland since the ’80s even though the story behind it took place “a long time ago”. Aladdin and Jasmine have had a presence in Epcot’s Morocco for decades.

doctornick

You’re conflating theme and setting. You can have a common theme without a common setting.

How does it mess up the theme? Could Olaf not be at a freak snowstorm/ski resort turned water park? That seems like the exact type of place he would want to visit and relax at.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Conflict with what, and for whom? Since when has the traditional—and absurdly silly—origin story for the park been “a soothing tale” or coherent “justification”?

It's so absurdly silly - that how much have you heard people complain about the park's design as totally out of place? It's silly, but it clicks and makes the elements you see coherent. Just like Typhoon Lagoon.. the story isn't about being credible.. it's about establishing REASONING and consistency of the elements you encounter and keeps your brain from registering confusion.

It's literally the premise of theme park design... that you're now just calling completely unnecessary. So I say again... "why not just put everyone's favorite characters in?? I mean, we wouldn't want to deny young children the enjoyment of a few familiar characters right?"

Also, they did adapt the characters: Anna and Elsa appear in their child forms.

Being children has nothing to do with Blizzard Beach - that's just because it's the kid zone.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Because of course Peter Pan being in a Bavarian village or medieval castle courtyard makes perfect sense in the "context of the park". :rolleyes:

Once again, we see people imposing standards on Disney that it never actually has had. The theming has never been as rigid as some try to indicate and attractions/shops/restaurants don't form as cohesive a story as people suggest - why the heck are south pacific tiki birds next to African/Asian/South American river cruises next to Caribbean pirates from centuries ago?

Olaf is made of snow and enjoy summer. He's probably love to go to a place that had a blizzard but where water is melting to allow for swimming fun.

Because Adventureland is a theme - not a specific setting or connecting story.
Blizzard Beach is setting and story - not a umbrella 'snow theme'

LittleBuford

So I say again... "why not just put everyone's favorite characters in??
Because it needn’t be all or nothing. I’m judging this change in the context and to the degree that it was made, not going down the rabbit hole of thin-end-of-the-wedge thinking. For the children’s area of Blizzard Beach, I think these additions are fine. That doesn’t mean I want the entire park overhauled (I don’t) or that I think characters should be randomly plonked down everywhere (I don’t).

lazyboy97o

How does it mess up the theme? Could Olaf not be at a freak snowstorm/ski resort turned water park? That seems like the exact type of place he would want to visit and relax at.
Olaf isn’t the only character that was added.

The park is literally a frozen Waterpark. So they're making it a frozen Frozen waterpark
Except not because the park itself hasn’t been reworked.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So minor changes…but it is nice it appears they did put some money/tlc into it.

Much needed. It’s always a good thing.

It is “ip injection” in a place that thematically worked. But we’re not gonna win that war.

LittleBuford

I've never been to Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon, but I just don't really care about water parks -- or even swimming pools, really. I've never spent any time at a resort pool either.
I'm not a big pool person either, but the water parks are really special and worth checking out in my opinion.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Kids weren’t happy visiting Blizzard Beach for the better part of the last decade?
My kids are going to be devastated that Frozen characters weren’t added to BB 8 years ago. And who knows what other characters could have been added that would have made more synergistic purchasing opportunities available - The Little Mermaid, Nemo, Pirates… heck, they could have added dozens of characters. I don’t know how I’m going to carry on, knowing how disappointed my kids must have been in years past, plus the mountains of disappointment I’m feeling for not having these synergystic opportunities available to me over the past 40+ years. It’s obvious those idiots back then didn’t have the slightest idea what they were doing. I, for one, am so glad we have such creative geniuses in power now like Bob and Josh, plus their good and faithful toady THEZach, to show them the multitudes of errors they made and how things should have been done all along. It’s not a Disney vacation unless you are inundated by DISNEY!!!! every second of every day!

I ARE THE MAGIC!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom