Blizzard Beach Construction

ToTBellHop

Yeah, like if you went to the library and looked up 'snow' and just pulled things from everything haphazardly.

It's a complete conflict of the story and setting. But yeah... snow = frozen!

Besides dollars I'm suprised it took this long. Maybe it was some Ops guy idea how to get some upkeep dollars approved by tying in the IP :)
I just don't understand the idea that Olaf couldn't be here. Unless you are going to claim he can ONLY be in actual Norway, which is just bonkers. Peter Pan can only be in London or Never Land?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Oh, we enjoy it, too. But they won't go to Tikes Peak.

To be fair, Olaf has been at Castaway Cay for years and it wasn't a problem.
He has? Other than the drink stand, I'm not sure I remember seeing any 'Frozen' references on CC (although that one is still rather egregious to me, it doesn't fit at all but... Bob).

Epcot82Guy

This is kinda meh - and targeted at the right audience. Yet... as with so, so, so much with current Disney, they totally throw out the source material when they didn't need to. Having them all be on vacation at Blizzard Beach - in summer garb/swimwear a la Olaf's In Summer scene - would have been a much better thematic fit. Much like the snowpeople already at the park. It just feels lazy. Olaf is just here because "snow".

LittleBuford

I just don't understand the idea that Olaf couldn't be here. Unless you are going to claim he can ONLY be in actual Norway, which is just bonkers. Peter Pan can only be in London or Never Land?
Something seems off to me when the anti-IP purism has reached such levels that people would deny young children the enjoyment of a few familiar characters that are tucked away out of most guests’ view.

castlecake2.0

Something seems off to me when the anti-IP purism has reached such levels that people would deny young children the enjoyment of a few familiar characters that are tucked away out of most guests’ view.
Because Disney used to be better than this. Olaf, sure, fine, maybe he’s visiting blizzard beach because: snow. But why are Anna and Elsa there? It would be like giving the France pavilion a Cars playground because people in France drive cars there. It just seems lazy and thoughtless to the overall stroytelling of the existing park.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Is Olav a friend of someone that was there?
Or is it just 'Well it's WDW, so Olav wandered out of Epcot over to BB for a break?'

Olav has no connection to the story, premise, or locale... unless you take the stretch of "Olav likes to travel the world for vacation and this is his favorite water park"

And Olav isn't the only character in question here

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's not anti-IP - it's anti-Randomness

They didn't re-achitect or change the story, setting, or anything.. They just dropped Snow related characters into the place... because Snow and kids! yah!

It creates conflict... and just undermines your own efforts to weave a soothing tale and justification of things.

I mean, why not just put everyone's favorite characters in?? I mean, we wouldn't want to deny young children the enjoyment of a few familiar characters right?

LittleBuford

It's not anti-IP - it's anti-Randomness

They didn't re-achitect or change the story, setting, or anything.. They just dropped Snow related characters into the place... because Snow and kids! yah!

It creates conflict... and just undermines your own efforts to weave a soothing tale and justification of things.

I mean, why not just put everyone's favorite characters in?? I mean, we wouldn't want to deny young children the enjoyment of a few familiar characters right?
Conflict with what, and for whom? Since when has the traditional—and absurdly silly—origin story for the park been “a soothing tale” or coherent “justification”?

Also, they did adapt the characters: Anna and Elsa appear in their child forms.

UNCgolf

I've never been to Blizzard Beach and don't really care what they do with it, but I don't read this as anti-IP.

It sounds like the problem is that the Frozen characters specifically don't make any sense in the context of the park's theme/story -- it's probably minor since it's isolated to one small area, though.

Patcheslee

Probably November 13th

Screenshot_20221025-120720_Chrome.jpg

LittleBuford

I've never been to Blizzard Beach and don't really care what they do with it, but I don't read this as anti-IP.

It sounds like the problem is that the Frozen characters specifically don't make any sense in the context of the park's theme/story -- it's probably minor since it's isolated to one small area, though.
It still comes across to me as an excessive level of purism in the context of what we’re discussing, which is a children’s paddling pool.

Skibum1970

ok so there’s statues of Anna and Elsa as well? Now I’m complaining, why are baby Elsa and Anna at a Florida ski resort turned water park? Disney come on, you used to pride yourself in storytelling. Lazy, lazy, LAZY.

I'm actually more concerned that Elsa and Anna's parents are nowhere to be found while their kids visit a water park. Seems irresponsible to me. Sheesh. Next thing you know, they'll be taking trips without their kids in notorious rough seas....

doctornick

Because of course Peter Pan being in a Bavarian village or medieval castle courtyard makes perfect sense in the "context of the park". :rolleyes:

Once again, we see people imposing standards on Disney that it never actually has had. The theming has never been as rigid as some try to indicate and attractions/shops/restaurants don't form as cohesive a story as people suggest - why the heck are south pacific tiki birds next to African/Asian/South American river cruises next to Caribbean pirates from centuries ago?

Olaf is made of snow and enjoy summer. He's probably love to go to a place that had a blizzard but where water is melting to allow for swimming fun.

lazyboy97o

Because of course Peter Pan being in a Bavarian village or medieval castle courtyard makes perfect sense in the "context of the park". :rolleyes:

Once again, we see people imposing standards on Disney that it never actually has had. The theming has never been as rigid as some try to indicate and attractions/shops/restaurants don't form as cohesive a story as people suggest - why the heck are south pacific tiki birds next to African/Asian/South American river cruises next to Caribbean pirates from centuries ago?

Olaf is made of snow and enjoy summer. He's probably love to go to a place that had a blizzard but where water is melting to allow for swimming fun.
You’re conflating theme and setting. You can have a common theme without a common setting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom