BLACKFISH

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPatton

Original Poster
My favorite part of the coverage of BLACKFISH on HLN and CNN happened last night when Ms. Cowperthwaite told CNN’s Martin Savage that current SeaWorld trainers are in communication with her and are talking to her about injuries.

The clown Jack Hannah---looking sharp in his little Jungle Cruise outfit---almost flipped his wig when he heard that. I think he rose from his chair an inch or two.

Yes. Gabriela served it up nicely. I think you are going to see more SeaWorld trainers and handlers leave the company and turn on SeaWorld. (I have always thought that---now I think it more so.)

Jane Velez-Mitchell said on her show that we’ve come to a time where the people are beginning to take animal rights issues seriously. I agree. I said back in the summer that SeaWorld is now operating in a new era.

The following quote doesn’t come from the movie, but I’d like to add it here. It’s from the book "Lifting the Veil of Duality" by Andreas Moritz. He wrote:

“None of the species on this Earth is meant to act in a superior manner toward any other. Exploitation in any form may bring short-term benefits but result in long-term losses. Exploiting humans or animals reflects loss of power and freedom for both the exploiter and the exploited. We have entered a time when every action not serving the highest interest of all involved, and that includes every person and animal on this planet, is backfiring without delay. What I am saying is that we may need to watch out for the opportunities for change, opportunities that correspond to a new level of energy awaiting to be discovered and utilized for the betterment of all living creatures on Earth.”

The Empress Lilly

Wow, it's incredible & mind blowing how some people ( I won't say names) watch movies and accept them as real. It's really what's wrong with our society today.
Like a flock of sheep being misguided. Keep believing what you see in the movies and on cnn. You're very well educated just like the masses.
Thank you for your interesting and thoughtful reply. :bookworm:

neoshinok

I wanted to thank those who contributed reason to this discussion, on both sides of the issue. I've avoided wasting my time writing thoughtful responses to most of the senseless arguments presented here. Most on the forum have made up their mind in one way or another and that is okay. It is to be expected that on a theme park forum, most would be backing the theme park for whatever their reasons may be. If you look elsewhere, on general topic forums and news comments, the general public is largely against the practices of whale breeding and captivation.

I'm thankful a film has come along to bring the topic to the surface and has been widely displayed for people who may not have otherwise thought twice about who they are giving their money to. I believe the continued expansion of the films presence, through replays, rentals, streaming and award ceremonies will continue to raise awareness and discussion on the topic at hand.

To the SeaWorld fans, it is important to note that the goal is by no means to close SeaWorld parks, but to bring to their attention they can be more in line with public sentiment and ultimately more profitable without their captive whale program. Then maybe I can finally go ride Manta.

Olijimcha

I haven't viewed the film at the local cinema as yet; before I do can I ask a genuine question:

Have the makers benefited financial gain from the production and distribution of Blackfish, or are all profits being dedicated to the free orca cause?

Freshee61

I haven't viewed the film at the local cinema as yet; before I do can I ask a genuine question:

Have the makers benefited financial gain from the production and distribution of Blackfish, or are all profits being dedicated to the free orca cause?

That is one excellent, appropriate and very interesting question that I am going to research the answer to.

The Empress Lilly

Blackfish is a professional product, produced for commercial purposes. As it should be. America's free press is commercial. Watergate is the product of the for-profit Washington Post, written by paid reporters. If you don't get paid, you can't be reporter. If there are no rewards, there is no incentive to be the best. God bless capitalism and the USA!

This makes the movie stronger, not weaker, because Blackfish isn't the work of activists, but of documentary filmmakers. The director is more well-known for her gritty Iraq documentaries. And for her series 'Shootout', for which she is embedded with 300 marines.

Her usual audience are gun-toting, right wing meat eating men for whom Peta are crybaby tree-huggin' hippies. It was during the investigation for Blackfish, after having previously inestigated Bin Laden's whereabouts, that she stumbled upon the cynical, hidden world behind Sea World's friendly façade. Turned out Sea isn't the nature-loving, family friendly, environmentalist organisation that shows happy whales forming a mystical bond with their trainers and audience to the sweeping Shamu soundtrack.

http://gabrielacowperthwaite.com/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN_Films

JPatton

Original Poster

The money that documentaries make is like the loose change you find in the sofa compared to the Hollywood blockbusters. Any rewards the director and producers receive from BLACKFISH will be well-earned, I'd say.

Gabriela Cowperthwaite has said that she did not pay for interviews. The former trainers in the film paid for their own travel expenses in going around to film festivals to meet audiences and do Q&A. Jeffrey Ventre said he was down about $10,000 of his own money in going to film festivals---and that was early in the season.

(By the way, Jeffrey Ventre is in Abu Dhabi today showing the film at a film festival there.)

Because I know you want to see it again :angelic: BLACKFISH will repeat on CNN:

Saturday Oct 26
7PM ET

Sunday Oct 27
9PM ET

Monday Oct 28
12AM ET
3AM ET

919Florida

Results from a CNN poll just in:

Would you take your children to Sea World?
Yes - 14%
No - 86%​

OMG. :eek:
What a bloodbath. What a carnage. The moment is drawing near that even SEA's very shareholders will demand that the beardancing...erm...shamu show has got to go.

http://crossfire.blogs.cnn.com/2013...he-crossfire-keep-killer-whales-in-captivity/
SEAS Shares went up today. Wow did you expect that? After all this horrible news and the shares went up. Shocking!! lol

As for the poll the number of anti cap people were just running and promoting the link everywhere and driving up the numbers. It is not a scientific poll. Also the number are in for the airing last night. just over a million watched it on CNN. Fox News still had higher viewers, Big Bang Theory had over 17 million viewers and the World series has 13 million viewers. Its the same crowd who is going to keep watching the movie over and over. All the anti caps etc. Sure a few more people will probably see it but its not as harsh as you say it will be. See you in the next 50 years when SeaWorld and the Shamu show is celebrating the 100th anniversary. :)

The Empress Lilly

SEAS Shares went up today. Wow did you expect that? After all this horrible news and the shares went up. Shocking!! lol

As for the poll the number of anti cap people were just running and promoting the link everywhere and driving up the numbers. It is not a scientific poll. Also the number are in for the airing last night. just over a million watched it on CNN. Fox News still had higher viewers, Big Bang Theory had over 17 million viewers and the World series has 13 million viewers. Its the same crowd who is going to keep watching the movie over and over. All the anti caps etc. Sure a few more people will probably see it but its not as harsh as you say it will be. See you in the next 50 years when SeaWorld and the Shamu show is celebrating the 100th anniversary. :)
I think a million is great for a serious documentary. There's no point in comparing viewership with major sports and tv series.

How many people watch a feature film length documentary about abuses in the car manufacturing industry? Twenty thousand? A million shows that America's opinion makers are curious about and aware of the issues raised in Blackfish.

Sea World is constantly reminding people it no longer operates in the abusive way it did as little as four, three or even two decades ago. In fifty years time, even SEA management will openly describe SEA 2013 as barbarism.
There will no more be a Shamu show in forty years time than Sea today uses airplanes and explosives to catch wild baby orcas as it did in 1973 or drive hunts as it did in 1993.

919Florida

One of Blackfish's strongest eye-openers is that many trainers do not know what they're getting into. They are like all of us - they love these magnificent animals, and want to be close with them.

Surprisingly, there isn't all that much training involved. Interviewed SEA trainers related that if you look representable and are a good swimmer, then pretty soon you work shows. A scary thought. Nor were they informed of the many kills and attacks by the animals they were working with.

Young, idealistic, perhaps a tad vain people who are exploited and abused just as much as the massive animals they are put in a tank with for an abysmal wage.

You know Sea World's policy in the case of an attack on a trainer? Do not shoot the animal. An orca is a million dollar investment, whereas new trainers are free. Do not shoot the animal, let it kill the trainer.

Orcas are expensive, nearly impossible to come by, can no longer be caught in the wild, and are the stars of a billion dollar industry.

SEA would give them exemplary veterinary care, wouldn't they? But that is not the same as treating them right. The animals are abused and taken meticulous care of at the same time.
Cite your sources other then a bunch of trainers who left in a disgruntled manner. At least at SeaWorld Orlando where I KNOW all the trainers and talk to them weekly they darn well know what they have signed up for and they want water works back. They want to be in the water with these animals again. You cant say many of the trainers dont know what they are getting into.

Not much training involved? Really? I wish I could get all the training inforamtion and show you want training goes on before you work with an orca. When their was water works going on you should ahve seen all what you had to go through before you ever stepped foot in the water.

I found it funny that after the movie last night someone started an online pettion to make it illegial to catch orcas in American waters for entertainment purposes. Strange they didnt know its been illegial to dot hat for nearly 40 years. Just shows the movie did not educate.

One of my friends at work today made an excellent point to me today about the movie. They actually have never been to SeaWorld before and know nothing what goes on in the park. THey watched the movie and said they found it to be a hyped up version of Wikipedia backed up with opinions of people and not real facts. They actually are going with me to the park on Sunday this week. I am looking forward to showing them the real Seaworld

919Florida

I think a million is great for a serious documentary. There's no point in comparing viewership with major sports and tv series.

How many people watch a feature film length documentary about abuses in the car manufacturing industry? Twenty thousand? A million shows that America's opinion makers are curious about and aware of the issues raised in Blackfish.

Sea World is constantly reminding people it no longer operates in the abusive way it did as little as four, three or even two decades ago. In fifty years time, even SEA management will openly describe SEA 2013 as barbarism.
There will no more be a Shamu show in forty years time than Sea today uses airplanes and explosives to catch wild baby orcas as it did in 1973 or drive hunts as it did in 1993.
Please show me a SeaWorld management team member who says Seaworld of 2013 is barbarism? Why are you calling it SEA anyway? Thats not the name.

Still a million people watching is not anymore then who tunes into CNN a night. And you know probably at least 80 -85% of these people watching were anti cap people anyway who will never support SeaWorld in anyway. It was people who already seen blackfish it was people fromthe Orca Network, the cove ETC. In time you will see nothing different is going to happen.

If SeaWorld's stock would have sunk today in trading you would be all over it and say see people listened and dont want to be apart of it anymore. And blah blah blah. But it didnt. They want up today. How do you explain that?

SeaWorld has to constantly remind people it does not do abusive things because they got films like this and anti cap people who like to make junk up. Not one of you ever will mention the good SeaWorld does. In several interviews yesterday I seen people saying they would rather see the Orca's die days after being released in the ocean then living more years at SeaWorld. Thats just sick. Wish we could ask the orca's If we release you to the ocean so you can die in a few days would that be ok with you? Would that make you happier? I really wish these animals could talk

919Florida

The money that documentaries make is like the loose change you find in the sofa compared to the Hollywood blockbusters. Any rewards the director and producers receive from BLACKFISH will be well-earned, I'd say.

Gabriela Cowperthwaite has said that she did not pay for interviews. The former trainers in the film paid for their own travel expenses in going around to film festivals to meet audiences and do Q&A. Jeffrey Ventre said he was down about $10,000 of his own money in going to film festivals---and that was early in the season.

(By the way, Jeffrey Ventre is in Abu Dhabi today showing the film at a film festival there.)

Because I know you want to see it again :angelic: BLACKFISH will repeat on CNN:

Saturday Oct 26
7PM ET

Sunday Oct 27
9PM ET

Monday Oct 28
12AM ET
3AM ET
Oh so just like this whole film we are going to beleive "her" when she says she did not pay for interviews and that the traienrs paid for their own expenses. Right. no matter how much you want to deny it she is profitting off the death of a beautiful woman. This movie would have never been made if it was not for that accident that day. Dawn would be so upset and outraged if she knew what was going on now. SeaWorld and Tilli was everything to her. Dawn would be a great voice to have in this voice.

awoogala

Exactly. My 10 year old son and I watched and discussed last night. I have no issue with zoos and aquariums, on the whole. Most take animals in captivity, and do their best to keep them stimulated (freezing meat into chucks of ice for polar bears, creating toys to make them work in packs.. like the feeding trap that requires the wild dogs to work together in the Bronx zoo).
Stimulation, natural environments, enough space. all very important. They are even trying, at progressive zoos, to rotate the carnivores and prey animals, so the animals can track scent, avoid predators, etc.
This is simply not possible with a whale of any size. Unless your tank is the size of an ocean, the space and stimulation are just not there.
Difference between a manatee floating happily and chewing lettuce, and a large social carnivore, who needs to hunt.

OFTeric

Meanwhile at SeaWorld today

BXhzxXpCIAA1pez.jpg-large.jpg

1384165_220972404745435_1067901918_n.jpg

IAmFloridaBorn

Meanwhile at SeaWorld today

View attachment 36900

1384165_220972404745435_1067901918_n.jpg

" ^And here folks we have proof of why I don't even read the first 3 or 4 lines of most of the posts in this thread. I did see a a person posting about waiting for whales to be released in the ocean , then finally riding manta; I laughed. Manta is the best coaster in Orlando. Wonder if "Black" could've added that in the video? No? Budget no wide enough? Awe :/ Fun ride. Fun shows "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom