BLACKFISH

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPatton

Original Poster
SeaWorld stock closed down in trading today.

The Empress Lilly makes a good point: the business press does not dismiss the “Blackfish” documentary.

The Wall Street Journal wrote:

“Gabriela Cowperthwaite's film makes a persuasive case against the park, which rejects all of the charges and denies all suggestions of negligence. More persuasively still, "Blackfish"—an Indian name for orcas—argues against the very concept of quasi-amusement parks like SeaWorld that turn giant creatures meant for the wild into hemmed-in, penned-up entertainers.”

The Empress Lilly

SeaWorld stock closed down in trading today.

The Empress Lilly makes a good point: the business press does not dismiss the “Blackfish” documentary.

The Wall Street Journal wrote:
“Gabriela Cowperthwaite's film makes a persuasive case against the park, which rejects all of the charges and denies all suggestions of negligence. More persuasively still, "Blackfish"—an Indian name for orcas—argues against the very concept of quasi-amusement parks like SeaWorld that turn giant creatures meant for the wild into hemmed-in, penned-up entertainers.”
To be precise, I argue that the business press picks up on the controversy that Blackfish has created.

Being business press, they seem eminently uninterested in the factual correctness, never mind moral conclusion, of Blackfish itself. They do care if in your typical Orlando vacation family there is now a fourteen year old girl vehemently opposing a visit to Sea World this year 'because they are mean to their orcas', as she has learned through Facebook.

The Empress Lilly

I watched the slideshow, and couldn't begin to tell you who most of those people are.
I don't know half these people either, nor do I particularly care for the opinion of celebs. But their followers know who these people are, and will watch Blackfish at their recommendation.

IMDd identifies Blackfish as one of this year's top five most popular documentaries. http://www.imdb.com/search/title?sort=moviemeter,asc&title_type=documentary&year=2013,2013
Rotten Tomatoes gives Blackfish a 98%(!) rating.
My money's on Blackfish winning the Academy Award too.

The whole world is watching Blackfish, except for five Sea World diehards with their hands covering their eyes singing 'we do not hear you, we do not hear you'.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Rotten Tomatoes gives Blackfish a 98%(!) rating.
My money's on Blackfish winning the Academy Award too.

The whole world is watching Blackfish, except for five Sea World diehards with their hands covering their eyes singing 'we do not hear you, we do not hear you'.
Considering the Academy is filled with crackpots...I wouldn't doubt it either!

JPatton

Original Poster
upload_2013-10-12_14-45-58.jpeg

Some interesting Twitter quotes from Voice of the Orcas and Jeffrey Ventre (the former SeaWorld trainers in "Blackfish"):

"All #SeaCircus trainers profess to B experts. Truth is, none of us are, or ever were. Ken Balcomb is an expert"

"#Blackfish wisdom: There is no such thing as a killer whale "expert" (think SeaWorld trainer) that has never seen a wild killer whale"

"As far as I know, The only X orca trainers that have actually seen a wild killer whale formed @Voice_OT_Orcas / once you see it, you can't un-see it"

"Once you see a wild orca its impossible to be pro-captivity. That's why when all of us worked at the #SeaCircus not a single trainer had seen one"

JPatton

Original Poster
upload_2013-10-19_16-52-31.jpeg

“Beyond Blackfish: JVM Investigates”

Jane Velez-Mitchell will host four days of special coverage of BLACKFISH Tuesday through Friday (October 22-25) at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT) on HLN. http://www.hlntv.com/

Go get ‘em, Jane.

Watch Gabriela Cowperthwaite’s BLACKFISH on CNN Thursday, October 24 at 9 p.m. ET.

Following the CNN broadcast---there will be a demonstration against orca captivity at SeaWorld San Diego on Sunday, October 27 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The Shamu show has got to go.

luv

People protesting at Sea World isn't really new, lol.

They should chant, "Hey, hey! Ho, ho! The Shamu show has got to go!" That would at least be entertaining.

The Empress Lilly

Three days of negative exposure for SEA at CNN. That's gotta hurt! Is Sea going to send 23-page panicky rebuttals to every blog in America again? :D

I am disappointed, however, to find that CNN too has no sense of humour. How can they circulate that page without it reading like this:

'Blackfish Media
Tentacle Schedule
Please ciculate this schedule & tuna in'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom