Black Widow moves to 2021

erasure fan1

I am super curious as to how successful this will be. I personally think they wet the bed and black widow should have been put on premier access a long time ago. It's the MCU so it might not matter at this point. People might just be so starved for a new MCU movie they go to the theater and then buy the premier access as well. It won't surprise me if it does great. But at the same time I could see it just being a very mediocre box office performance. Personally I hope it does great as I'm a huge fan of the MCU.

DavidNoble

Not surprised Black Widow finally moved to Disney Premier and I think it will do great business in theaters and on Disney+, to the point that this will end up being the future of Disney movies (splitting it for both theaters and streaming at the same time) to allow them to capture the market on both ends.

Jedijax719

I would bet that if they sold Black Widow on PA for $20, there would be a TON more paying for it. However, there might be less seeing in the theater.

However, since they'd only be pulling in 50% of the theater in-take, I think they'd end up with more money if they charged less than $30.

erasure fan1

I would bet that if they sold Black Widow on PA for $20, there would be a TON more paying for it. However, there might be less seeing in the theater.

However, since they'd only be pulling in 50% of the theater in-take, I think they'd end up with more money if they charged less than $30.
It's a hard nut to crack. The movies that have gone to premier access haven't done fantastic as far as we can tell. But MCU movies they were not. I think Widow would have done just fine at the $30 price point if they had done it last October. Now I'm not so sure. I don't see a lot of pent up demand for the movie anymore. I asked my wife and daughter if they wanted to pay to see it and the answer was, they don't really care at this point. So $20 would probably be a slam dunk, I just don't see Disney under billing an MCU movie. They would only need a quarter of the accounts to purchase it to equal a billion dollar box office at $20.

CJR

I won't be too surprised if the "additional fee" is more than normal. Especially if people are showing up to the theaters, which they are doing so this weekend for a movie that's "free" on HBOMax.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Every time I see this thread in the list of new posts, I think, "Oh, no, it's moved back by another whole year?!!"

And then I realize: "Oh wait, *this* is 2021!"

I'm on COVID time.

Jedijax719

With ZillavsKong's success, I can see a situation where Black Widow does end up pulling in $1billion WW. That will NOT be from theaters alone of course, but $500 million WW in theaters is a very real possibility. The release in July will actually help this to happen.

And $400-$450 million worth of PA orders on D+ is also a very real possibility, or even probability.

Finally, if you add in the fact that Disney will take all the $$$ it makes on D+, the total revenue could actually be higher (by quite a bit even) than a theater-only release. And that is EVEN in a pre-Covid setting.

If it makes $500 million WW at the box office and 15% of D+ subscribers pay for it, that comes to $950 million box office/subscriptions total. (and GvK is very close to $300 million WW already).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1623420140888.png

Proof that fireworks return on July 9!!!

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Originally slated to hit theaters last spring, the official release of Marvel Studios' Black Widow is only a few more weeks away, with Disney+ confirming today that the film will be available to subscribers at no additional cost beginning on October 6th."

Jedijax719

The October 6 release date (3 months) may reveal some insight on Disney's plan with the 45-day exclusive theatrical release of movies such as Shang-Chi. I would now guess that Shang-Chi will move into theaters only for 45 days, be available in both theaters and PA streaming for another 45 days and then free after that (early December).

Same is probably going to be true about Jungle Cruise UNLESS it completely bombs in the theaters. But it has Rock and Emily Blunt so I doubt it will be a complete loss.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I got a feeling this movie is not going to do well at all. Like its too late for a Black Widow film and a prequel at that. I got a feeling this one is going to waaay under preformed followed by Chang-not gonna be a box office hit, and Eternals.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I got a feeling this movie is not going to do well at all. Like its too late for a Black Widow film and a prequel at that. I got a feeling this one is going to waaay under preformed followed by Chang-not gonna be a box office hit, and Eternals.
Wanna bet on it?

There is pent up demand for the MCU, the D+ shows are barely scratching the itch for a lot of people. This is one of those movies that people will see it both in theaters and at home.

And don't get me started on how wrong I think you are on both Shang-Chi and the Eternals.

Anyways, we'll see but my own feeling is you're wrong.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Wanna bet on it?

There is pent up demand for the MCU, the D+ shows are barely scratching the itch for a lot of people. This is one of those movies that people will see it both in theaters and at home.

And don't get me started on how wrong I think you are on both Shang-Chi and the Eternals.

Anyways, we'll see but my own feeling is you're wrong.
No I don't want to bet. I just don't think this one will do too well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom