Black Panther M&G coming in 2018

Phroobar

Black Panther set more records by Monday morning, after a surprisingly strong late Sunday night box office. Black Panther is now within a million or two of surpassing the 4-day weekend box office of Star Wars: The Force Awakens in 2015. I can't wait to see all those fierce little lady bodyguards on my doorstep this Halloween!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...nd-box-office-record-shattering-debut-1085932
What? We can't let that happen! Let's post bad reviews in IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes so people will hate the movie.

Actually, I saw it. It was a lot of fun. I think Marvel's got a good base to draw from after they kill off the older Marvel heroes in Infinity Wars.

Ismael Flores

I say they they take over the parking lot behind Paradise Pier hotel and expand there. Then if they want a new hotel they can design it to fit the scope and vision of the architecture used in the movie.

TP2000

A Wakanda land would need to be SW:GE or World of Avatar in scope to give the world you see in the film any justice. I don't see a physical representation being built within the existing Disney Anaheim infrastructure without some major expansion/changes.

I would love to see TDA spend just a sliver of that $28 Billion tax cut they got this year on dressing up and plussing up the Stage 17 misery for Black Panther. Much like they did for Frozen with that snowball fight thing, Black Panther deserves a full indoor themed experience in Stage 17 with food and merch and entertainment.

Black Panther has already dwarfed Frozen's opening weekend numbers, and is heading to history-making numbers here for any movie, let alone a Marvel or Disney offering. And just like when TDA got caught way behind the curve on the Frozen cultural phenomenon of 2013, they are now caught way behind the curve on the Black Panther craze of '18.

The borrowed pickup truck isn't enough. The shaved head ladies are super cool and very impressive, but letting this superstar superhero wander around a cement and stucco wasteland in Hollywood Backlot is pathetic. He needs a fully themed environment in Stage 17 by Spring Break! Of course, TDA and Disney is incapable of such a thing that quickly, but this isn't good enough for this man...

dca-black-panther.jpg

Curious Constance

I think we all need to settle down just a bit.

In five years, if Black Panther is still relevant and popular, then they can consider making drastic alterations to build an entire land devoted to his movies.

Lots of movies do really well at the box office, not all should be made into theme park lands. Just ask Universal with their Shrek, Minion, and Secret Life of Pet attractions.

Having said that, DAAAAYYYYYUUUUUMMMMMM Black Panther is rocking that outfit.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I would love to see TDA spend just a sliver of that $28 Billion tax cut they got this year on dressing up and plussing up the Stage 17 misery for Black Panther. Much like they did for Frozen with that snowball fight thing, Black Panther deserves a full indoor themed experience in Stage 17 with food and merch and entertainment.

Black Panther has already dwarfed Frozen's opening weekend numbers, and is heading to history-making numbers here for any movie, let alone a Marvel or Disney offering. And just like when TDA got caught way behind the curve on the Frozen cultural phenomenon of 2013, they are now caught way behind the curve on the Black Panther craze of '18.

The borrowed pickup truck isn't enough. The shaved head ladies are super cool and very impressive, but letting this superstar superhero wander around a cement and stucco wasteland in Hollywood Backlot is pathetic. He needs a fully themed environment in Stage 17 by Spring Break! Of course, TDA and Disney is incapable of such a thing that quickly, but this isn't good enough for this man...

View attachment 265614

Having seen the movie this weekend, without giving anything away, I'd say if TomorrowLand was to have an IP overlay I'd vote for a Black Panther one. Where Black Panther is showing off all of the technological advancements of Wakanda. Doesn't even need to be located in Wakanda. It could even include new versions of the Peoplemover and Monorail (if you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about).

GiveMeTheMusic

View attachment 265614

What typically happens here is the initial promo efforts are funded by the studios as part of their promotional/marketing budget. The studios division actually pays for the meet-n-greets and then when that funding is set to expire, TDA has to decide if they're going to keep the offering going and pay for it themselves, or just axe it.

The studios money used to go further - that Woody's Roundup show in the Horseshoe was funded by the studio, and when that ran dry, they just closed the show.

Frozen Fun was paid for by TDA (the initial meet-n-greet in DL was likely funded by the studios) after the film's runaway success was evident and Staggs mandated Frozen stuff everywhere ASAP.

They do take a wait-and-see approach to everything now, and as a result, miss the boat.

disneyC97

Wow that is one Terrible presentation. Universal always had some great stunt shows in their parks Even waterworld is still popular.
You would think they would do something kind of small stunt show using the cityscape in that area.

Anyone remember when Disney did the small Indiana stunt show in Adventureland? Even that was more exciting than this
And there is a huge unused theater sitting next to Super Hero Island for years.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wow totally forgot “The Wild” lol though it’s not officially WDAS canon I believe.

Great list! Thanks! Though isn’t there always an Edgar Rice Burroughs rights requirement/fee with Tarzan?

Ah, you're right about Tarzan. That was a purchase of rights.

Walt Disney Pictures has co-producer credits for The Wild and Buena Vista was the distributor. I think that Disney would like everyone to think it isn't canon. :)

GiveMeTheMusic

Ah, you're right about Tarzan. That was a purchase of rights.

Walt Disney Pictures has co-producer credits for The Wild and Buena Vista was the distributor. I think that Disney would like everyone to think it isn't canon. :)

The Wild and Valiant were not produced by Disney at all, but purchased from an animation studio for distribution when Eisner was trying to show Pixar Disney didn't need them anymore.

We all know how well that went.

Anyway, neither are "canon" as they weren't produced by WDAS.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Wild and Valiant were not produced by Disney at all, but purchased from an animation studio for distribution when Eisner was trying to show Pixar Disney didn't need them anymore.

We all know how well that went.

Anyway, neither are "canon" as they weren't produced by WDAS.

Both Wiki and IMDB list Disney as a production company:

1519232704380.png

Disney is listed in IMDB as a production company for Valian, but, interestingly, not on Wiki.

TROR

Whether Disney was or was not a production company is irrelevant as neither were still created by Walt Disney Animation Studios. Those movies are as much part of the official canon as Peter Pan 2: Return to Neverland.

While we discuss the official Disney animated canon, however, we need an official canon list for the theme park attractions. Mission Breakout and Star Tours The Adventures Continue would be nowhere on the list.

Phroobar

Whether Disney was or was not a production company is irrelevant as neither were still created by Walt Disney Animation Studios. Those movies are as much part of the official canon as Peter Pan 2: Return to Neverland.

While we discuss the official Disney animated canon, however, we need an official canon list for the theme park attractions. Mission Breakout and Star Tours The Adventures Continue would be nowhere on the list.
What is an official canon list for the theme park attractions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom