News Bird attack at Disney World leaves woman with traumatic brain injury

Chi84

Premium Member
Yeah, but that's extremely far fetched.
The bird would have to attack with enough velocity to kill itself.
A full on Peregrine Falcon Kamikaze attack.
Again, unless she struck her head on the ground, or ran away and collided with a wall or a lamppost or something.
But those things would be her collision, not the attack of the bird itself.
Yes but if her collision with the ground was the result of the bird attacking her, it likely wouldn't make a difference in terms of the lawsuit. Running away would result in a more tenuous link with the attack.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Outside of a kick to the head by an escapee Ostrich from AK, what kind of bird attack could cause traumatic brain injury?
Certainly no native species is capable of inflicting traumatic brain injury by an attack, unless that attack led her to fall and strike her head on the pavement or something.
There is little information given (unless I missed it) the statement says "attack."
It doesn't say she collided with it say coming down exterior hill on Expedition Everest.

In my post above, watch the second video with the raptors. The falcon has a nearly sonic-speed kick (FALCON PUNCH!!) that stuns their prey.

Then again, we don't know what is meant by "traumatic brain injury." Is it a simple concussion? Brain stem damage (blows to the neck are more susceptible to damage... no hard skull casing for protection)? Or something so severe that there is cognitive or motor ability loss?

My95cobras

How come people are not just honest and practical. Yes there are birds all over theme parks throughout the USA and just not Disney. This could have happened anywhere. Honestly if it would have been me. i would have asked for Disney to help pay for any cost due to injuries that are not covered by insurance. No we can't do that anymore. Now we have to sue. My wife hat a small mishap down the Shore on the boardwalk, She tripped and fell and had to have a staple in here head to repair the gash. We told the store that we did not intend to sew and politely asked if they would cover any expense that is not covered by insurance. The business told us yes without one argument and asked us to send a copy of the bill that was not covered. It was that simple and easy. Accidents happen, it just comes down to doing the practical thing. Sewing is only called for when you nicely tried to ask and speak with a bussiness or owner or person and you are either treated badly or not given the time of day. I am quite shore WDW would do the right thing and step up to help to try and avoid a law suite for a small matter. This case seems a little hokey and major issues for $15,000. Sounds like some one wants another free vacation and paying of the lawyer.

Maybe a lot of people with costuming issues and they need to sew them up.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So what is Disney supposed to do? Many birds are protected.

"Basic protection. All birds, their nests and eggs are protected by law and it is thus an offence, with certain exceptions (see Exceptions), to: Intentionally kill, injure or take any wild bird."
If this particular bird is protected could the bird counter-sue the woman’s head for causing damage.

It would be ironic if she won $15K from the lawsuit and then was fined $15K for injuring an endangered bird.

Disone

about 12-13 years ago, i had a bird swoop down on me & grabbed some McDonald fries from me when MK still sold them in frontierland. took me by surprise, had a few laughs with everyone around me, got another order of fries from the CM, no lawyer or lawsuit needed.
Try dropping a box of popcorn on a cool day in January in one of the parks and Watch What Happens. (Sea gull chaos!!!!)

unmitigated disaster

If this particular bird is protected could the bird counter-sue the woman’s head for causing damage.

It would be ironic if she won $15K from the lawsuit and then was fined $15K for injuring an endangered bird.
All the reports say "migratory bird". Guess she's never heard of The Federal Migratory Bird Act. Depending on what it was, the most Disney might have been able to do is cordon off the area. I actually wonder if she wasn't peering into a nest.

TomDisney

Ladies and Gentlemen. Boys and Girls. Due to a flock of birds in the park today, the Magic Kingdom will be closed today. These are just no ordinary birds, they are the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered birds you ever set eyes on. Thank you and have a magical day.

Incomudro

In my post above, watch the second video with the raptors. The falcon has a nearly sonic-speed kick (FALCON PUNCH!!) that stuns their prey.

Then again, we don't know what is meant by "traumatic brain injury." Is it a simple concussion? Brain stem damage (blows to the neck are more susceptible to damage... no hard skull casing for protection)? Or something so severe that there is cognitive or motor ability loss?

Oh, I know all about the Peregrine Falcon's stoop.
That's why I said it - love those birds, and I get to watch them from my window at work in Brooklyn fairly often.
One was here last week.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
All the reports say "migratory bird". Guess she's never heard of The Federal Migratory Bird Act. Depending on what it was, the most Disney might have been able to do is cordon off the area. I actually wonder if she wasn't peering into a nest.
Hmm. Must have been a "duck," because if she got hit in the head, she certainly wasn't "goosed."

Cmdr_Crimson

Quick get the coat hangers!!!
giphy-74.gif

Incomudro

Very thoughtful. People have died from less.

"Traumatic Brain Injury."
Again, outside of an Ostrich or Emu kicking one in the head - there isn't a bird alive that'll hurl itself into a human hard enough to cause traumatic brain injury.
Unless, as I said - the person falls and strikes their head.
Then the brain injury would be as a result of the collision with the ground as brought on by the bird.
Any large bird that is capable of flying is still a relatively light and fragile thing - and when they attack there is a level of self preservation involved.
Even an aggressive goose - one of the larger and more aggressive native birds can't do much damage to a human by itself.
It's more a factor of the human hurting themselves in a panic situation.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
"Traumatic Brain Injury."
Again, outside of an Ostrich or Emu kicking one in the head - there isn't a bird alive that'll hurl itself into a human hard enough to cause traumatic brain injury.
Unless, as I said - the person falls and strikes their head.
Then the brain injury would be as a result of the collision with the ground as brought on by the bird.
Any large bird that is capable of flying is still a relatively light and fragile thing - and when they attack there is a level of self preservation involved.
Even an aggressive goose - one of the larger and more aggressive native birds can't do much damage to a human by itself.
It's more a factor of the human hurting themselves in a panic situation.
What if it was a Norwegian Blue falling from above ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom