biggest toy on town

MarknSue

Original Poster
Im hoping to pick up a Gamecube when we're over at Christmas - do you think the shops will have restocked by the 10th January? I think theres a EB at Orlando airport so we could pick up on the way back. (Could anyone who has already picked one up with the Universal game hop on over to my thread in Videogames)
And as for you helpful sorts offering to order US stuff for Marky, Im sure we Brits would be delighted to do the same. Course, Im not sure what we ever get b4 you do?
Bad weather?

markymark

Originally posted by MarknSue

And as for you helpful sorts offering to order US stuff for Marky, Im sure we Brits would be delighted to do the same. Course, Im not sure what we ever get b4 you do?
Bad weather?

ABSOLUTELY!!!

As Mark said though, I don't really know what we would be able to get, but, hey! the offer's there.

Mark, have you found anything out about whether or not you need anything special to use the Gamecube on PAL? Do you run through a SCART lead or what? If you find out, can you let me know?

Cheers.

MarknSue

Original Poster
Ive imported machines b4 and yes you should be just fine with a scart lead. The tricky one is the power supply - get that wrong and you have a very useful melted cube of plastic. Im going to drop in on a games importer in Birmingham over the next week or two and find out how much the powersupply is, whether they can just be picked up at Maplins etc Ill keep you posted!

NowInc

One thing you may also want to look into is if the machine (NTSC/PAL/Power supply differences aside) is the same machine for your region. Basically...the CD's in the US versions spin BACKWARDS (lame attempt to prevent games from being copied)...meaning the games are burned differently. In your country..they may spin NORMALLy...meaning if you get a US system..you can only play US games..which would mean you have to import all those as well...which Im sure you know would get VERY pricey...

I'd also hold off if I were you and see how well Gamecube sales do before spending the cash on it. X-Box seems to be getting more of the "hype"...and is expected to crush the competition posed by Nintendo and Sony....you wouldn't want to get stuck with a game system thats no longer supported (Dreamcast)...

Beauty and the

If you tell us how old the kids are we might be able to help, my kids are currently experts on Toys r us, Argos ,Index and telly adverts. One last question are they girls or boys?

CrisKennedy

Originally posted by marciahahn
According to my son (8) the big thing is Gamecube & X-Box....esp Luigi's Mansion for Gamecube. He also mentioned Gameboy Advance.

Bionicles are popular, too!!

I have a Gameboy Advance...they are so cool...
BTW, if you see an early-twentysomething female playing Pokemon while waiting in line at WDW in mid-December, it'll probably be me.:animwink:

MarknSue

Original Poster
Originally posted by CrisKennedy

I have a Gameboy Advance...they are so cool...
BTW, if you see an early-twentysomething female playing Pokemon while waiting in line at WDW in mid-December, it'll probably be me.:animwink:

or Sue!

MarknSue

Original Poster
Originally posted by NowInc
One thing you may also want to look into is if the machine (NTSC/PAL/Power supply differences aside) is the same machine for your region. Basically...the CD's in the US versions spin BACKWARDS (lame attempt to prevent games from being copied)...meaning the games are burned differently. In your country..they may spin NORMALLy...meaning if you get a US system..you can only play US games..which would mean you have to import all those as well...which Im sure you know would get VERY pricey...

I'd also hold off if I were you and see how well Gamecube sales do before spending the cash on it. X-Box seems to be getting more of the "hype"...and is expected to crush the competition posed by Nintendo and Sony....you wouldn't want to get stuck with a game system thats no longer supported (Dreamcast)...

I love my dreamcast - play it a lot more than my PS2!I think Ill enjoy the GC more anyway - nothing on the XBox has blown me away like Rogue Squadron.
(and supermonkey ball may just help me justify all of this to sue)

NowInc

I love my dreamcast - play it a lot more than my PS2!I think Ill enjoy the GC more anyway - nothing on the XBox has blown me away like Rogue Squadron.
(and supermonkey ball may just help me justify all of this to sue)

I love my DC too....but there are no more games coming for it...

I personally am looking forward to 7 games for X-Box..and 0 for gamecube. As usual..nintendo is aiming their game market towards "Kids" more than the MAJORITY of the gamers (18-35)..X-Box has been aiming at adults. I also know that most game companys LOVE X-Box and truely despise PS2 and Gamecube due to the difficulty of game development on those systems.

Im not saying Gamecube will FAIL...im just saying that the demographic may cause a lot of games to be canned for the system. (Not to mention the system and the controller look like they were designed by Playskool)

markymark

Ive imported machines b4 and yes you should be just fine with a scart lead. The tricky one is the power supply - get that wrong and you have a very useful melted cube of plastic. Im going to drop in on a games importer in Birmingham over the next week or two and find out how much the powersupply is, whether they can just be picked up at Maplins etc Ill keep you posted!

I have heard that you can just get an adaptor that you just plug into the mains, and then the lower voltage equipment into that. My brother in law is able to get them quite cheap apparently. I'll let you know how much if you are interested. Let me know.

Good point by Now Inc, BTW - will you only be able to play imported games?

mej

The "hot toy" with a lot of the 5 and 6 year old girls that I teach is a boy doll called "Baby Wee Wee"! My daughter doesn't need it - she has a little brother who is only too pleased to demonstrate his prowess for her!

Beauty and the

The toys that boys want this christmas are : Skateboard Extreme Park (made by Mattel cost about £20), Candy Floss Maker (about£30) Harry Potter Lego (ranching from£9-£90) Snape's Potion set (£30) Harry Potter Figures (£8-£15) Games for PS, NT64, GB- Harry Potter, Fifa 2002, Simpsons Wrestling, Driver 2. Hope this helps, I've tried to get some of these things and already they are in short supply.:rolleyes:

mej

My daughter -aged 7- would like a Winnie the Pooh projector and my son - age 4- would like a go-kart. I'd like something small, expensive and exquisitely wrapped!

MarknSue

Original Poster
Ill only be able to play US games on a US GC true, but someone usually ends up selling mod kits to play multiregion games - I would like to know how much the adaptors are MarkyM.
As to your list Beauty thats great thanks - a little embaressingly for a 30 year old Ill probably be getting some of those myself! Sue has just bought the Harry Potter game for the PS so thats tonight sorted...

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by mej
I'd like something small, expensive and exquisitely wrapped!

Just the sort of thing I ask for every year! My jeweler keeps a wish list for my husband to check for Christmas, birthdays, and anniversaries...the big 25 is coming up soon!!

MarknSue

Original Poster
Originally posted by marciahahn

Just the sort of thing I ask for every year! My jeweler keeps a wish list for my husband to check for Christmas, birthdays, and anniversaries...the big 25 is coming up soon!!

hey thats sounds like a really good idea - susie always says she wants to be suprised, but my taste is well, disappointing.
a jewellers though!
could become very expensive!

Beauty and the

Mark you could always buy Sue a diamond in America, even with the poor exchande rate they are almost half the price than at home! The Beast always shows his Princely side (or is it his thrifty side) when we go to WDW and buys me a diamond either at CosCo or the Mall. I'm sure Sue won't mind waiting for her Christmas Present.:animwink:

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
MarknSue...you can mod it yourself...just run a check on google.com for gamecube mod. Then you can run any game.

Stood in line for gamecube overnight last night. Was there at 4 am and was 3rd in line......my target had 48 gamecubes and as of about 20 min after it opened they only had about 10 left, and there were at least that many people in line.

NowInc....check MSN.com today....they had an article comparing the ps2, xbox, and gamecube. The gamecube is actually the easiest to program for by far, with ps2 being the hardest.

Tramp

Originally posted by OldKeyWest24
I'm a kid. 14. and the guys all want X-box. The gurls on the other hand want more mintues for there cell phones...seriosley!

Susan

I want X-box too. What does X equal?

( Sue...nice avatar...you're a real doll ) :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom