Biggest new Disney grievance?

Biggest new Disney grievance?

• Paid skip-the-line (Genie+)

• Introduction of more prix fixe menus

• Certain thematic choices and directions

• Service-related grievances

• Increasing hotel and

• Further technology integration (mobile ordering, DAS, virtual queues, skip-the-line on phone)

• Certain cut experiences haven't returned

• Park reservation system/park hopping restrictions

• Eliminated perks (Magic Express, Extra Magic Hours, etc)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rodj

I'm sure we all would like them to just close down things and do a class A repair. Weeellll, we do unless that is going to happen when we are planning to go, then it's maybe they should just grease everything and we can be on it while we are there. Damn., that Disney, can't they get anything right?
With Tower, A lot of it is more simple technical issues that can be solved during 3rd shift. I’m not going to get into specifics in this thread, but some of its show issues have been ongoing for more than 10 years, and some straight up ruin the illusion for a scene. You can look at the Tower of Terror show effects thread for the specifics.

ppete1975

id add lack of investment in the parks, we should know more about what is next and there should be more vision for the future. Instead it feels like we are in a holding pattern.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I went with thematic choices and directions, interpreting as "lack thereof"

I also considered "other" for cleanliness, upkeep, and general decline of CM quality from, I presume, less emphasis on training.

The rest of of list either doesn't bother me enough or, as in case of increased technology, I see as an improvement

Goofyernmost

With Tower, A lot of it is more simple technical issues that can be solved during 3rd shift. I’m not going to get into specifics in this thread, but some of its show issues have been ongoing for more than 10 years, and some straight up ruin the illusion for a scene. You can look at the Tower of Terror show effects thread for the specifics.
Probably so but you can get a number of repairs during 3rd shift, providing the ToT is the only one that needs repairs and those repairs are high on the priority list. Maintenance isn't a first come first serve type of system. It is most important, like safety come first, for example. That said, the person asked about a class A process which involves a shutdown. If the fix that you are talking about are minor little things that almost no one, except us Disney Freaks, would even know there is a problem, it isn't going to be very high on the to do list.

ToT, from my recollection, has a lot of theme things and the absent of a few is not going to be awful. The main thing about the attraction is the drop and if that works no one except someone that rides it a massive number of times would even know about. That by the way is not an apology, that is a reality because in spite of a Disney Park being presented as fantasy, it is located right smack dab in the middle of the real world. That is spoken by someone that is hardly a fan of the place anymore.

po1998

I take it the one option should read “increasing hotel and park admission costs”? That is the one I voted for.

BlakeW39

I mean I think we all have a lot of issues with Disney these days so it's kind of hard to choose. Personally, since I don't live near WDW, park reservations don't bother me. Genie+ is a stinker though.

I voted for "Certain thematic choices and directions" though. The IP mandate is the biggest issue. From an artistic and creative stand point it is cheapening the parks so much, it's really sad. After that it's just the general disregard for quality or thematic direction in general. IP billboards as the poster above called. Tacky, corporate vomit over original ideas curated specifically with the parks in mind.

Close second though would be maintenance. Broken rides (Expedition Everest, SSE, etc.), trash everywhere.

Honorable mention for Splash Mountain, which is more a specific instance rather than a broader overall problem I have with the parks right now.

Goofyernmost

They even had a bra shop on Main Street. Get yourself some proper support before going the rides.
And a piano store, as well, if you wanted to play a little music while you were in line. It would have been harder to do then though because the line was constantly moving. And almost every attraction was sponsored by some company so it basically also included a varying degree of none Disney advertising.

BlakeW39

From the very beginning of Disneyland not only was it an IP Billboard, Main Street USA was a mini-Disney Springs.

Oh god not this argument again.

First of all, no it wasn't.

Second of all, that's irrelevant. What Disneyland did in 1955 is entirely unrelated to completely valid points about what they should do now. You're just trying to use some kind of weird appeal to authority fallacy, where if Walt did it then we should stop complaining, basically trying to dismiss criticism against the IP mandate. But Walt nor Disneyland are perfect so really it doesn't matter what either did 70 years ago.

Last edited:

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
In my opinion, the premium price always included premium perks (Magical Express, FastPass (included) that you could book well in advance to [generally] ensure you got on your top three picks at each park [and with a FastPass line that usually got you on with minimal/no waiting], ability to book restaurants 6 months in advance so you weren't trying to finagle reservations right up to your travel date, Magic Bands included, luggage handled by Disney from the airport to your hotel room). Now, all of that is gone but the premium price still exists (and has gone up). People used to complain about how much planning you had to do in advance, but I liked that... I liked having all my reservations booked and my FastPasses assigned well in advance of my trip... I liked having that last three months before vacation to not have to worry about (at least that aspect of) planning. Now, I feel like I'm on edge right up until travel (and even while at the parks) to make sure I can get on the rides I want and eat at the places I want. I liked knowing well in advance of going that I already had a FastPass for the new must see ride and a reservation at the new must see restaurant... so for me, paid FastPass and Elimination of Perks are my top gripes, but if I had to pick one over the other, it would be paid FastPasses...

dreamfinder912

Park passes and the continued super late hopping time is my biggest issue. I pick park day by vibe, crowd type, and weather. Sure I might PLAN to spend Tuesday at DAK but if I roll in and it's full of huge flag carrying tour groups (or cheerleaders, or just a bunch of really cranky families)? I'd go to Epcot. But now since I can't go to another park until after 2, I just go home. Im not gonna sit in a park that just has the wrong mood for the day until I get permission to go somewhere else. Im just going to leave.

Alanzo

I can't put my finger on it but WDW just feels stale these days but people keep eating (myself included). I guess I could take a deeper dive and ask myself if it was only ever "fresh" in my rose-colored view on the past...

Goofyernmost

Oh god not this argument again.

First of all, no it wasn't.

Second of all, that's irrelevant. What Disneyland did in 1955 is entirely unrelated to completely valid points about what they should do now. You're just trying to use some kind of weird appeal to authority fallacy, where if Walt did it then we should stop complaining, basically trying to dismiss criticism against the IP mandate. But Walt nor Disneyland are perfect so really it doesn't matter what either did 70 years ago.
It matters to me, especially when we are specifically talking about individual likes or dislikes. and it was true. I don't care if someone dislikes something as long as it's for the right, truthful reason. IP's rank up there with the most useless and incorrect thoughts that ever existed. I only brought up the retail space as an "also" topic. I never said it had anything to do with the IP topic. My pet peeve with that subject is that everything ever created is an IP unless a computer came up with it on it's own. So the constant concern about it is just beyond my ability to just let it go because YOU don't like the discussion.

Disney had an era of retail stores on Main Street. It still has them but not outside retail, just Disney's. Everything in the original was either direct from a movie, be it live action or animated or had the name of some outside business attached. It had synergy and connection to something. WDW was almost a carbon copy of Disneyland, but by then the only thing new was not there until a few years later when Space Mtn., Pirates and Haunted mansion was an original Disney creation. That was the first real change in and both shared the era of Omni-movers continued that through the more original creations shown in EPCOT.

EPCOT was the first, after the original DL to be created from scratch. It didn't rely on Disney movies or animation, but even then relied on the money and influence of outside sponsorship... from the original DL, but story lines were new. That concept, as well meaning as it was, also was a short lived success but within a decade had lost it's charm and became a festival of drunks lands and they eventually had to basically downsize while adding "IP's" to try and breath some life into the place and that helped.

All that was followed by DHS which needed the support of MGM movies to even have anything to see. Talk about your IP's. MGM was one of the biggest. The whole park relied on MGM, Star Wars, TV shows (all IP's). It has new life now because of Toy Story Land (Pixar) and Star Wars Land (Lucas) but now they own both so therefore it is the thing that everyone wanted. A good source owned and operated by TWDC but even what Disney creates using it or any thing else is an IP.

Then "Oh Lordy" Omni Movers became yesterdays technology and tears start to fall because of screens. All screens did was expand the ability to create immersive shows and stay current. Due to the fact that Disney owns about 90% of all the entertainment venues worth having EVERYTHING IS NOW AN IP. And even though what we get now is an owned Disney brain tank of now Disney IP's. It is no longer someone else's idea it is Disney's.

Some of the things have stayed in that Disney will welcome a sponsor with open arms but it isn't the same world it once was and those pots of gold are much harder to find. So, I'm sorry that you don't like to hear about the thought that the IP's might be a plus, doesn't mean that they shouldn't be there. Without them WDW would be a huge hotel resort with no other use.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom