Big update to My Disney Experience app will bring navigation capability

FoodRockz

Bus ETA should be relatively easy to add in. I relied on regional buses for years and their app was nearly infallible for bus locations and ETAs. And that is a government agency!

21stamps

I may have forgotten where I've parked a few times. :oops: Then I started taking a picture with my phone of the section and row.
Lol. I've done that and my panic button on my remote is really for finding where I parked. ;)
I wasn't joking though, out theme park app has had it for a couple of years and I LOVE it!! I was surprised it wasn't on the Disney world app.
image.png

disneyKaiju

I got "lost" for the first time in the Epcot lot on 4th of July. I was certainly in a tissy because I was trying to beat the crowds out. The one day I don't write down the row and section in my phone :facepalm:

I was there this past 4th of July also and I think the heat got to my brain because it took me a "few" tries before I was able to guess where my car was :banghead: worked out though because the car turned out to be parked by the exit and I was able to squeeze on out because traffic was CRAZY!

Buffalo

Bus ETA should be relatively easy to add in. I relied on regional buses for years and their app was nearly infallible for bus locations and ETAs. And that is a government agency!

I bet it will be built on the bus tracker backbone they already have installed at some resorts. And like someone else here said, that system isn't always reliable.

And everyone needs to stop complaining about the bus ETA. We all know that bus arrivals vary and don't often stick to schedule. This is likely why Disney has hesitated this long to add it to the app.

yellowb

I bet it will be built on the bus tracker backbone they already have installed at some resorts. And like someone else here said, that system isn't always reliable.

And everyone needs to stop complaining about the bus ETA. We all know that bus arrivals vary and don't often stick to schedule. This is likely why Disney has hesitated this long to add it to the app.
The way I see it, if it is good enough currently for the resorts, it should be good enough to broadcast that same data to the app. We appreciate the screens at the bus stops. If data isn't that reliable coming to the parks, just make it available for the resorts.

FerretAfros

I worry about how much people will miss out on if the follow the app too strictly. The parks have always been about letting go and experiencing something new and unexpected; FP+ has already taken some of this away, but this seems to take it a step further. So much of the parks are exploratory experiences (particularly at DAK and Epcot) that following step-by-step directions will often cause you to miss a lot of the stuff around you. Yes, it's easier to figure out than a paper map, but some times it's a fun to get a little bit lost on vacation and stumble upon something unexpected.

That said, I see a lot of value with the addition of general resort transportation. It's not always intuitive, and most guests probably aren't used to thinking about a multimodal trip to get from one location to another, and how much time the various legs will all entail

Next Big Thing

CPs have an app for bus times to the dorms that are fairly accurate. If that can be a thing, there's no reason that they don't have bus times in the app.

dreamfinder

CPs have an app for bus times to the dorms that are fairly accurate. If that can be a thing, there's no reason that they don't have bus times in the app.

I would imagine the CM buses run on a more rigid schedule. It's much easier for a bunch of CPs to pile on a bus than it is for a bus driver to potentially deal with load/unload of a scooter, adding several minutes to the stop, completely throwing off the schedule.

Monorail_Red_77

Here's a pic of a CM bus near Vista Way Dorms. For those not familiar, they do not use a Disney Transport bus. They use a contractor, TranStar. Took this pic last weekend while riding with a friend near the CP dorms.

File_000.jpeg

WDWDreamer4

The CP bus schedule is set, and if you miss the bus you wait for the next one. Those are more like a city bus system where they have a schedule. Disney guest transportation is so variable due to scooters, there being to many people, no people at all, etc. Although it would be cool if the buses had some sort of GPS that showed where they were and when they would show up at the bus stop. Not as an app that we could follow, but used to determine the timing to put into the app. Maybe that is how the screens at the bus stops already work? I am not sure, but it would be cool if they added that to the MDE soon.

COProgressFan

Many of us (myself included) were highly critical of My Disney Experience, but there really are components of it that are very nice features. Sure, the price point has been exorbitant, but these types of enhancements are very much appreciated.

I'm with you here. There are many benefits to MDE. The problem is there are many downsides, though they could be easily fixed (saving FP+ slots for day guests, getting rid of FP where it's not needed, etc.). So we can still be critical.

I think the main issue is that Disney totally overhyped and oversold MDE & Magicbands as somehow totally changing the theme park experience, when they do not.

These are simply nice incremental changes that benefit guests, not life changing improvements as marketing would want you to believe.

mousehockey37

I'm with you here. There are many benefits to MDE. The problem is there are many downsides, though they could be easily fixed (saving FP+ slots for day guests, getting rid of FP where it's not needed, etc.). So we can still be critical.

I think the main issue is that Disney totally overhyped and oversold MDE & Magicbands as somehow totally changing the theme park experience, when they do not.

These are simply nice incremental changes that benefit guests, not life changing improvements as marketing would want you to believe.

The system as a whole is good. It does make things easier. However, outside the park navigation, people have other dedicated apps or navi in their cars. Inside the park, if you've gone a few times, you probably have a good idea where everything is. For the first time guest it could be useful, but I can just see now people running into others because the app said to "turn here" or if using with rope drop down Main St., CM's were making a wall in the hub so you have to follow the masses.

As far as FP for day guests, kiosks are available to use. Disney counts on those visiting and staying on property. Yes, local tourism is big as well, but when people are planning trips over a year ahead, the FP situation seems fair.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

Yeah. This feature has been lacking from the beginning. Having it plot a route would be extremely valuable.
Prediction: they will soon add a "Pokemon GO" like feature, where everyone wanders around the park like zombies.

Imagine if they could use this for crowd control and drag people to the less visited corners of the parks - or drag people into all sorts of stores. The potential for squeezing money out of the rubes is limitless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom