Big update to My Disney Experience app will bring navigation capability

JohnD

What? Use a park map. Ask a CM. Look up, there are signs everywhere...

This is an unnecessary update.

I disagree. Early on I was using the app and wanted to plot my course for the shortest route from Frontierland to 7DMT to make my FP+. Since no plotting feature, I pulled up the map on my app and "eyeballed" it. How many times has anyone used the map app on their phone to plot their course somewhere? Why shouldn't there be a Disney-specific version. If you don't need it. Don't use it. I will.

JoeCamel

I disagree. Early on I was using the app and wanted to plot my course for the shortest route from Frontierland to 7DMT to make my FP+. Since no plotting feature, I pulled up the map on my app and "eyeballed" it. How many times has anyone used the map app on their phone to plot their course somewhere? Why shouldn't there be a Disney-specific version. If you don't need it. Don't use it. I will.

And how many times have you been to the Magic Kingdom?

You still use a map?

njDizFan

Any word on when this will go live? I have a trip planned from 16-30th. Although I certainly know my way around the parks I have a few days of resort hopping and would be great to know exactly where to get on the boats and monorails to get to the next destination.

Full disclosure I am the the anti-Magellan, my lack of direction is not very good.

JohnD

And how many times have you been to the Magic Kingdom?

You still use a map?

I still do a lot of things the "old fashioned" way but just because you don't want or need the update doesn't mean it's "unnecessary." By your logic, delete your maps app from your phone and never use it again. Go to the bookstore and buy paper maps. They work just as well. Start unfolding them and turning them around and upside down in the car. For the money that WDW has sunk into MDE, then a directions feature is a welcome addition.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Keep in mind this also works for getting around the entire resort property. This would be helpful to those who do not visit that often and are driving.

I'm sure the update will be helpful for some guests.

I assume eventually they will print far fewer park maps and possibly phase them out completely.

I guess those of us who like the maps are in the minority now. I always like showing them to friends after a WDW vacation. They became sort of a souvenir after the fact.

JohnD

I'm sure the update will be helpful for some guests.

I guess those of us who like the maps are in the minority now. I always like showing them to friends after a WDW vacation. They became sort of a souvenir after the fact.

I like the new addition to the app but I don't see them no longer printing park maps either. I would still use both.

disneyKaiju

New app update is great, and will be a great tool for those that choose to take advantage of it.

Paper maps are also cool, and I don't see them phasing out because Im sure there are people that will never use the MDE app. I still see a ton of people at the parks going to fast pass kiosks and using their cards to try and get their next fast pass, etc. and they make cool little park souvenirs for your trips and photo albums/scrap books.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom