Rumor Big Thunder Mountain to receive full retrack

TeriofTerror

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills... Is anyone going to ask why on Earth Thunder would be getting retracked in the first place? There's absolutely nothing wrong with the ride experience. My 4 year old son and my elderly mother-in-law all ride it comfortably.
Son of Beast was working at King's Island... until it wasn't. The degradation in ride quality that occurred *on that day* was astounding. I know; I rode it early that day and again just before it literally derailed.
Disney knows what it's doing.

DisneyDean97

BTM has been uncomfortable for years. It was already a night and day difference riding Paris' version in the early-mid 90s when it was brand new, how wonderfully smooth it was next to WDW's BTM even back then. And that was decades ago. Now WDW's is outright painful. I rarely bother riding anymore.
Hmm I don't find BTM that bad, but maybe its because I'm use to rough wooden coasters where I live. The one thing that is rough is the brake entering the station, hopefully they can upgrade that to a nice smooth stop.

The Mom

Premium Member
I had 2 sources come to me with this information within a short span of time. One, to protect their job, asked me not to share it, but the second said it was fine. It'll take nearly 3 years, and will result in a much smoother ride. It'll close likely in either July or early August with an announcement coming soon.
So one employee asked you not to share it because it might cost them their job, and another said they didn't care. So you opted to ignore the person whose job might be on the line. :rolleyes:

Skibum1970

Son of Beast was working at King's Island... until it wasn't. The degradation in ride quality that occurred *on that day* was astounding. I know; I rode it early that day and again just before it literally derailed.
Disney knows what it's doing.

I'm not sure that SoB is a good comparison. It had major ride issues which led to the removal of the loop, changing trains, and addressing complaints from riders hurt while on the ride long before the derailment in the "rose bowl". These issues plagued SoB through its entire life and is one coaster that I was overjoyed to see leave the park.

BTMR is probably more of a "reached the end of expected life" for the tracks. Could it continue running safely? Probably but, if an accident occurred, Disney would be liable for failure to maintain (since I'm not a lawyer I don't know the appropriate terms). So, they will do the entire fix (and hopefully add the exploding mine ending) and be good to go for another 50 years aside from smaller fixes.

WeNamedTheDogIndiana

I'm not sure that SoB is a good comparison. It had major ride issues which led to the removal of the loop, changing trains, and addressing complaints from riders hurt while on the ride long before the derailment in the "rose bowl". These issues plagued SoB through its entire life and is one coaster that I was overjoyed to see leave the park.

BTMR is probably more of a "reached the end of expected life" for the tracks. Could it continue running safely? Probably but, if an accident occurred, Disney would be liable for failure to maintain (since I'm not a lawyer I don't know the appropriate terms). So, they will do the entire fix (and hopefully add the exploding mine ending) and be good to go for another 50 years aside from smaller fixes.
The derailment did not come after the removal of the loop or changing of the trains.

I was on that train with @TeriofTerror and I can vouch that the change in ride quality over the course of the day was *astounding.* We rode it in the morning and had a blast, so we made a point to stop for one last ride on it on our way out. We got off quite literally bruised and battered. When we mentioned our concerns to the ride operators, they brushed us off.

We made our way out of the park, and by the time we were in the parking lot we could see emergency helicopters coming by.

While I'm sure Disney has a much better idea of BTMR's safety than King's Island did with SoB, the fact of the matter is that a ride's apparent safety can change much more quickly than we like to think.

TheCoasterNerd

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
So one employee asked you not to share it because it might cost them their job, and another said they didn't care. So you opted to ignore the person whose job might be on the line. :rolleyes:
As I've said, all information publicly shared came from the one who cleared me to share it, and all the information exclusive to the one who asked me not to was left private. In addition, both have already said that the way I worded it was fine and couldn't be tracked back to them

Brian

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

Squishy

Actually, you can call into the radio station and share secrets anonymously but I’m not sure Disney ride refurbishments is what they’re looking for.

“I cheated on my girlfriend with someone who claims Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster is getting new brakes, so it’s getting serious, I’d say.”
Does knowing big thunder mountain is getting upgrades and then buying Disney stock count as insider trading?

bpiper

I've got a question, who is making this track for Big thunder mountain? For that matter, Who would make it for space mountain? Would Disney themselves make it out of discrete components and do all the welding? Or would they contract with a coaster manufacturing company to make the track? If it took a year to retrack inn Disneyland, it sounds like they did it themselves out of discrete components. I wouldn't think that it wouldn't take very long to cut up the old track and then bolt together all the new track. I've seen amusement parks assemble all the tracks and supports for a steel coaster in less than 3 months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom