Big Thunder Mountain Refurb

Pr1nc355

Original Poster
I was just wondering if anyone knew if refurbs somtimes get done earlier than projected. We want to visit MK in early May and I notice BTMR is set for a lengthy refurb that is expected to be done May 28th. My kids will really be bummed if they can't get on that ride. :cry:

Pioneer Hall

Anything is possible, but the dates are usually pretty spot on with refurbishments. With the information at hand, I wouldn't expect the ride to be open. Sorry.

nepalostparks

They might soft open a few days early, but if you're visiting weeks before the projected date, it isn't likely.

But keep an eye on the projected dates... they have moved, postponed, shortened, and lengthened refurb dates before. You might make out ok!

209vaughn

This will be going on during my vacation too. Hopefully no other major attractions will be under refurb too.

Oh well, I dont mind Thunder being closed b/c we have a Thunder here in California.

mharrington

Considering how shabby it's been looking lately, at least as far as Kevin Yee is concerned, I think Big Thunder could use a little sprucing up. Who knows? Maybe, just maybe, they'll get all the effects working again.

Scuttle

Anything is possible, but the dates are usually pretty spot on with refurbishments. With the information at hand, I wouldn't expect the ride to be open. Sorry.

They usually are. I wouldn't expect anything before about May 20th. Many times Disney will do soft openings for a few days before the official reopening. I remember when my GF and I went November 14, 2009 and SM was schedule for like another week of refurb, but we got to ride unexpectedly. So you never know I would schedule as close to the reopening date as possible if you want to have a shot.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
WOO HOO! I am so geeked it's finally getting some much needed attention...but all elements working or not....it is my all time favorite ride anywhere....AND SUPER geeked that my trip is planned the week prior....:sohappy: This may be our last trip as a family together and BTM and Splash are priority.....we missed Splash last few trips so hopefully this announcement will seal it's not being down at same time....I still hang on to hope as I know it has been every single January for at least the past decade...:lookaroun I know there is much debate about one ride ruining a trip, and I suppose I agree with that sentiment, but rather think that your favorite ride you anticipate riding 6 times minimum being OPEN is the icing on the cake......:animwink:...and looking so forward to seeing the icing on the castle for a few days as well....:sohappy:

WDWFigment

BTMRR absolutely needs a refurbishment. The only sad thing about this is because they're taking BTMRR down, they won't be taking Splash down, which also really needs a refurbishment. Hopefully Splash will go down for at least a couple of weeks in the near future to have work done.

mbtohill

So that would mean both TT and BTMR would be down in Early May?? Not good since we will be there 5/4-5/12...UGGGHHHH

wendysue

So that would mean both TT and BTMR would be down in Early May?? Not good since we will be there 5/4-5/12...UGGGHHHH

They were both down at least 3 times last week.....every time we were in the park. They would tell us to "check back later", it was technical difficulties.
They both need some work done.:(

Tom

Beta Return
Doesn't splash usually get an annual refurb sometime in January?

Yes, nearly every January. However, they won't (at least I seriously hope they wouldn't) take Splash AND BTMR down at the same time. Disastrous.

BTMR needs some love. It's been a long time. Hopefully they liven up some effects (I'm talking to you, fake bats on fishing line) and make old ones work again (yup, that's you falling black plastic, er, I mean rocks).

Splash isn't in quite as bad a shape as it was for a short period of time earlier this year. It can sacrifice it's annual physical for BTMR to get some attention.

WDW1974

Yes, nearly every January. However, they won't (at least I seriously hope they wouldn't) take Splash AND BTMR down at the same time. Disastrous.

BTMR needs some love. It's been a long time. Hopefully they liven up some effects (I'm talking to you, fake bats on fishing line) and make old ones work again (yup, that's you falling black plastic, er, I mean rocks).

Splash isn't in quite as bad a shape as it was for a short period of time earlier this year. It can sacrifice it's annual physical for BTMR to get some attention.

I disagree, Tom. Both Frontierland mountains have been embarrassing messes for years now. They need to be closed down, fixed and brought up to proper show quality. If TDO/Phil feel they can't close both (I honestly hate this excuse as I remember when WDW consisted of one and later two parks and would often close MAJOR attractions at the same time for refurbs and now they have FOUR parks and encourage park-hopping!), then I'd hope that the day after Thunder opens that Splash goes down, even if that means it is closed for the entire summer. The thought of another 18-19 months of it in deplorable condition is ... well ... deplorable.

KJ1081

Honest question- can anyone explain what the restrictions are with the official calendar? I ask because official hours are already posted for April. I could understand showing an end date of April 30 and extending it when May hours are released, but I don't understand why they wouldn't list it as closed during April since the official calendar is already released.

meekoman

Last week, they had to evacuate passengers off a train going up one of the highest lifts. I have a pic somewhere if anyone wants to see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom