Big news soon?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Well, it seems this week has been rumored to be a big decision week for WDW. Many folks have alluded to several projects getting green lights or the axe this week.

That's fine and well, but the most interesting thing that struck me was the comment from the HM-dinner thingy the other night. Haunted Mansion closed early at 7:30pm for a private event.. and according to rumor Iger himself was there.

While this all seems totally not important, IAAPA is in Orlando which means pretty much everyone involved in amusement and theme parks is in town. Even the papers caught on that Meg Crofton in her keynote address specifically avoided talking about anything new for WDW.

Back to Iger, apparently at the HM deal, he said to expect a big announcement soon.

What could it be? Any ideas? News? Guesses?

SirNim

River Country becomes Pirates Island... (arrgh)

PeopleMover connecting West Side to Marketplace... (Now approaching Disney Quest for a Super Cirque-Way Tour)...

In all seriousness, I'm holding out for Imagination 4.0... But that's just me...

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I really hope it's Imagination - it's beyond time, especially for HISTA.

They havent even formally announced the American Adventure refurb, though we have physical proof in the permits that it's coming.

Side note: The Kim Possible thing won a TEA award along with the DL Subs. So, that's a definite announcement possibility soon.

jedimaster1227

What could it be? Any ideas? News? Guesses?

They havent even formally announced the American Adventure refurb, though we have physical proof in the permits that it's coming.

Side note: The Kim Possible thing won a TEA award along with the DL Subs. So, that's a definite announcement possibility soon.

The possibilities that have been listed to me over the last week:

1. Kim Possible Challenge's permanent return to Epcot
  2. Spaceship Earth's re-opening, just a reminder for the press
  3. Toy Story Mania (another reminder)
  4. Pixar Place and the transition to Disney's Hollywood Studios
  5. Wonders of Life closing permanently (possibly with a hint at what will replace it)
  6. T-Rex at Downtown Disney
  7. And the vaguest and least likely of the possibilities, is Imagination's long awaited refurb. Everyone in Epcot's management that I have spoken to over the last two months has been avoiding the topic like crazy-moreso than normal. Grain of salt taken with this one, but heres hoping for a nice outcome.
Expect the next announcement to be anywhere between Dec. 5th and early February (from what I have been told). They are not going to mark this next announcement up like they did with DCA's makeover deal, but it will still get plenty of mention, considering that they should be announcing (or reminding the press) about at least one item at each of the four parks.

(I'm hoping nobody takes this information and claims it as their own...)

darthjohnny

Just a guess, but if they will do give out some HUGE news, they might release what they are planning on doing for the new rumored attractions coming for the 40th Anniversary, as well as a rumored new attraction in Typhoon Lagoon. :)

Or they might even speak about the a Space Mountain refurb. :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Is the AA refurb even worth an announcement? From what I understand it is simply a spit and polish refurb with no new additions.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
The possibilities that have been listed to me over the last week:
  1. Kim Possible Challenge's permanent return to Epcot
  2. Spaceship Earth's re-opening, just a reminder for the press
  3. Toy Story Mania (another reminder)
  4. Pixar Place and the transition to Disney's Hollywood Studios
  5. Wonders of Life closing permanently (possibly with a hint at what will replace it)
  6. T-Rex at Downtown Disney
  7. And the vaguest and least likely of the possibilities, is Imagination's long awaited refurb. Everyone in Epcot's management that I have spoken to over the last two months has been avoiding the topic like crazy-moreso than normal. Grain of salt taken with this one, but heres hoping for a nice outcome.
Expect the next announcement to be anywhere between Dec. 5th and early February (from what I have been told). They are not going to mark this next announcement up like they did with DCA's makeover deal, but it will still get plenty of mention, considering that they should be announcing (or reminding the press) about at least one item at each of the four parks.

(I'm hoping nobody takes this information and claims it as their own...)

The whole Iger thing (admittedly from over at laughingplace) was to be him saying there'd be big news in the next few days.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
[*]Wonders of Life closing permanently (possibly with a hint at what will replace it)

[*]And the vaguest and least likely of the possibilities, is Imagination's long awaited refurb. Everyone in Epcot's management that I have spoken to over the last two months has been avoiding the topic like crazy-moreso than normal. Grain of salt taken with this one, but heres hoping for a nice outcome

I am really hoping for a Wonders demo / replacement announcement. However.. the Imagination one would be great to. Out of all of them.. I hope its one of these two.

jedimaster1227

The whole Iger thing (admittedly from over at laughingplace) was to be him saying there'd be big news in the next few days.

He won't just come on to say that there is a big announcement in the future. When they are ready to announce it all, they will (rather than breaking it up), in order to look like they are packing it in again like they did for the HCOE.

Imagination 4.0 sounds FANTASTIC.

A new EPCOT Parade would be nice too.:)

One of the reasons Tapestry of Nations/Dreams was retired was that it was a logistical nightmare to have those floats (even as skinny as they were) run through the World Showcase. Epcot was not built to handle such an arrangement, and it was extrememly difficult for them to pull it off during the Millenium Celebration. While I can assure you that they have looked at the possibility of revisiting Epcot's parade situation, they are more concerned (parade-wise at least) with Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. Animal Kingdom's Rivers of Lights is in development and a replacement for Spectromagic is on the way as well (not too soon, but not so far off). Plus with Block Party Bash on the way to DHS, they have enough parades to promote for now.

coasterphil

Lots of the big wigs were at the parks this past week. I'm not sure if it was just because they were here for IAAPA anyway, or if they are scoping everything out and discussing the future plans.

Peterwhite171

While I would love to see some big news from Disney about the world I just dont see anything coming from them for a good few years. They have just agreed and put in place over a billion dollars for DCA and I doubt they would want to spend anymore in the current climate, things are not looking good for the US economy and the oil prices are still getting out of hand. Coupled with the DVC hotel expansions underway and the high attendance (which makes a compelling argument not to add attractions since people are already coming) I just dont see anything major being announced soon.

I would love to be proved wrong though!

Pete

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
This doesn't feel "big" enough to get the CEO to say "Big Announcement".

Unless it's a lot bigger than I'm, ahem, imagining.

Would we really consider DVC at the Contemporary big either? But you know Disney.. it's all big.. "look! an amazing new pin cart!"

I would say that redoing both the film and ride at Imagination would be substantial.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom