Big Is Beautiful !

real mad hatter

Morning Everyone..One question that pops up now & again,is people concerned about the size of a resort.The first time I read about PORS before booking it,was its huge,with lots of walking involved.:eek: I was imagining this massive layout of buildings stretching for miles.As it turns out,we loved it.Yes it's spread out,but as far as walking goes.I walk ten times as much in the parks.Now I can see if there's a family with elderly people,it may not be the right resort for them,but for us,two adults & a teenager,it's perfect. So I'am all for " Big is Beautiful " and prefer a resort that isn't " squashed " together,so to speak.What are your views on this topic..And does a large layout resort put you off.?;)

real mad hatter

Original Poster
I definitely find the fact that PORS, Coronado, SS, and CB are so far apart to be a huge disadvantage. :(
Come on, Your just a pup,42 years young.You should be able to jog to the food courts at your age.Wait till you hit the big 60,I'll be the one on a ECV ( is that correct ) anyway,the wee electric buggy shouting," out my way,the cookie bar is mine." ;)

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

I love the more spread out moderates to the compact deluxe hotels. It seems like there is less hustle and bustle and you can actually relax and unwind. Instead of walks through endless corridors that feel like one of the old backgrounds in the TV show The Flintstones where you swear you walk past the same table with flowers and painting on the wall five times on your way to your room I would rather see the occasional gecko and varied picturesque scenery.

I have always wondered why people will walk 5-7 miles a day happily in the parks but then whine and complain like it is the end of the world about a 500 yard walk to their room:confused:

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Original Poster
I love the more spread out moderates to the compact deluxe hotels. It seems like there is less hustle and bustle and you can actually relax and unwind. Instead of walks through endless corridors that feel like one of the old backgrounds in the TV show The Flintstones where you swear you walk past the same table with flowers and painting on the wall five times on your way to your room I would rather see the occasional gecko and varied picturesque scenery.

I have always wondered why people will walk 5-7 miles a day happily in the parks but then whine and complain like it is the end of the world about a 500 yard walk to their room:confused:
. Totally agree with what you say about walking. Anybody about to book a vacation at say,PORS,then reads about this vast resort,crossing many lands.They'll be packing a rucksack to take,with supplies of food & drink,incase they get lost in the wilderness of PORS.

Upvote 0

swissamy

For our family, the season,cost of hotel only rate, duration of our vacation and overall purpose for the trip will determine which resort we choose to enjoy that specific trip. Resort size is important to consider based on the length of our stay. When we are going for a quick 3 night stay in colder weather and do not expect to be using the larger themed main pools, we go for compact and cheap (POP Century). On trips when we have stayed for 10+ days and we know we will be there in warm weather and really want to benefit from outdoor activities, a larger more spread out hotel is great. When you have a long stay, the walking at PORS is fun as you can look for rabbits when on the way to breakfast, find fun things to do later in the trip and enjoy the "ride"...I much prefer the space of the Poly. vs the compactness of Contemporary or BLT...BUT - I would go anywhere in the world with a smile on my face and thankfulness in my heart (it is my happy place)!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

I prefer a compact deluxe. It's not the walking...although that does equate to less time burned just trying to get from pt a to pt b. I spend enough time commuting for work...so reducing your Vaycay commute is a perk I greatly enjoy.

The real issue...I get uneasy in resorts that feel like never ending sprawl of buildings. I just feel way too far from the action. I attribute it to some of the large apartment complexes I lived in after college.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

If older relatives with mobility issues are coming along, size of the resort is a primary consideration (although not insurmountable for those places where we can just get a "preferred" room closer to the main building).

Otherwise, we don't mind a bit of a walk and appreciate the quietude that comes with a far-flung resort -- with the exception of the time when I got hopessly lost in PORS's Alligator Bayou, late at night, holding four freshly-refilled and prodigiously heavy resort mugs in my cramped little hands. ;)

Upvote 0

Skibum1970

I like the spread-out feel of PORS and would really like to try Coronado. However, when we first went to PORS in 2009, my wife was a little tired and hungry from the flight and trip to the resort. Plus, her back was hurting (resulting from a car wreck two years prior that was still a problem). So, we checked in and were in the last of the Parterre Place buildings down by the traffic bridge over the Sassagoula River. From check-in to the room, we had a very long walk (for her), which was compounded by us using the wrong stairwell and having to walk almost all the way around the building to get to our room. Still, we enjoy walking (much more so now) and love having the paths by the water to stroll along when we're not at the parks. So, spread-out means good exercise.

Upvote 0

crimsontyde01

Looking forward to being @ PORS in May 11-18, didn't really notice it as being "BIG" last time we staye in '11. Just glad to be there. To much to see and do to worry about whether it takes a few extra steps to get where your going. You can always stop along the way and take time to people watch, rest in a hammock, sit by a pool, or ride a bike around the resort. So is resort to "BIG", in my humble opinion, no.:D

Upvote 0

pixargal

I didn't mind the large size of the POR resort, in fact, it adds to the rustic deep south theming (Alligator Bayou). My issue was the confusing layout. I have gotten lost several times on the paths trying to find the pool or the foodcourt from my room.

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Size does not matter to me!! Walking is no issue. Many mornings I am up before the kids and take a walk along the river at PO. It is so peaceful!! I actually enjoy being further away from the hub bub!

Exactly! Also, at POR the bridges over the Sassagoula connect every single section of this resort to the main hub. It's sort of like a 3/4 spoke wheel. I have never understood those who said getting to the food court was like a 10 or 15 min walk (maybe a 'meander'). Why you can walk from Tomorrowland to Frontierland in 10-15 minutes! Uh, can't you?

Upvote 0

Britt

Im not a big fan of the wide spread...usually at the end of the day, I am soooo tired and ready to get to my room. Or my feet KILLING me!

We stayed in Las Vegas and our resort was huge. Our rooms were on the opposite side of the shuttle drop off and a walk across cement, in August Vegas heat. It was enough to snap your nerves...haha. Plus, walking to dinner at the on site place, or the pool...made it a pain. Our view was STUNNING though : )

Upvote 0

durangojim

We like to enjoy our breakfasts and snacks from the resort quick service restaurants usually in our room or on our balcony, so I don't care if the resort is big, I just don't want to walk forever to bring the food back to our room. The 1950s and 60s are perfect locations for us at Pop, but we did not care for the size and layout of PORS at all. To each his own.;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom