Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

G00fyDad

I believe you ARE the arrogant one. You're telling me I was breaking the rules, when clearly I was not. You're also accusing me of saying the rules are stupid and shouldn't apply to me. I AM saying the rules are stupid... But I never once said they shouldn't apply to ME... I said they shouldn't apply, PERIOD. I abided by the rules our entire trip, and had a fine time. That doesn't mean I have to think they are operating in the most customer friendly way possible.

Should I ride Splash in it's current condition and completely ignore all of its flaws and never discuss them, too? Who cares about an embarassing riverboat in the finale scene, right??? At least they put the ride in 20 years ago for us to ride! We should be happy it's there, even if it is 60% of what it's supposed to be! THANKS TDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mad much? :wave:

Your signature is quite appropriate.

I think so too. :sohappy:

Ironic, seeing as how you compared his dislike of FP to a traffic law.

What I compared is the same idea. He is telling me that I am saying I plan and vacation better. Nice try. :rolleyes:

draybook

No, it's not the same idea. And we too find the change to be bad. It wouldn't be so bad if they had time boards up in all parks and/or an application for Android users so we could plan FP's better, as opposed to having to walk across the park to find out what times they're at.

Now granted, the trip we just came back from was also during Spring Break, so we'll see how it goes after we go in September.

One thing that I've found funny in this debate amongst us is that you have numerous people here that say that only a small percentage of people "abused" the system the way that it was. Then you'll have people saying that us "late" comers with our late FP's were holding up the stand by lines. If such a small percentage of us were using FP's late, then how could we be at every attraction, holding you people up?

RSoxNo1

One thing that I've found funny in this debate amongst us is that you have numerous people here that say that only a small percentage of people "abused" the system the way that it was. Then you'll have people saying that us "late" comers with our late FP's were holding up the stand by lines. If such a small percentage of us were using FP's late, then how could we be at every attraction, holding you people up?

It just sounds like more people were taking advantage of this then they would have liked - hence the change.

If the rumblings about changing the GAC are true, it would be the same reason. More people are using it than they would like.

draybook

And we know that you are ok with the change, what's your point? Whatever rules are in place are what will be followed by my household. However, there's nothing wrong with voicing one's opinion on it either.

Buried20KLeague

It just sounds like more people were taking advantage of this then they would have liked - hence the change.

If the rumblings about changing the GAC are true, it would be the same reason. More people are using it than they would like.

I don't think the change was made because of too many people doing it... I think it's completely due to XPass (or whatever they decide to call it) and the plans they have down the road for a "pay for play" system.

It may start out free, but it ain't gonna stay that way.

RSoxNo1

I don't think the change was made because of too many people doing it... I think it's completely due to XPass (or whatever they decide to call it) and the plans they have down the road for a "pay for play" system.

It may start out free, but it ain't gonna stay that way.

It sounds like it's going to be an upcharge system. So the customization that comes with it (beyond the ride reservation aspect) could result in selling videos of character encounters. That seems to be a likely source of revenue.

Additionally, things like ordering counter service from your phone helps effeciency which can be regarded as a cost savings (eliminating cashiers at counter service).

I'm not disputing that Disney may ultimately start charging for this service, but it sounds like it's not in the plans right now because there are other less visible financial benefits to this.

the-reason14

I still find it funny that people think it's because too many people were "abusing" the system and therefore they had to change it. The old policy has been there almost as long as fastpass has been here, and now all of a sudden it's a problem? I don't think so. If it truly was a problem, why hasn't Disneyland stopped allowing late arrivals? Back in 2009 when we went, we could get in late. Since Disneyland is supposed to be more locals, shouldn't they have horribly long fastpass lines since the majority of the people would know they could use them late?

G00fyDad

But you're not arrogant, right? :lol::rolleyes:

Thanks for noticing. ;)

And we know that you are ok with the change, what's your point? Whatever rules are in place are what will be followed by my household. However, there's nothing wrong with voicing one's opinion on it either.

My point is that people should stop griping about their inability to plan. I've seen people post that they do not like the "new" policy because they cannot arbitrarily grab FPs for the same time as a PS any longer. How does the saying go...? "a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." My own cousin is the same way. Kicking and screaming over this rule (just like some here) because Disney isn't allowing them to do whatever the hell they want. :rolleyes:

Buried20KLeague

I'm not disputing that Disney may ultimately start charging for this service, but it sounds like it's not in the plans right now because there are other less visible financial benefits to this.

Understood, and I agree... I just fully believe that the plan is to roll it out for free, get people used to it, then start charging or at least upcharging like you suggest.

Buried20KLeague

Thanks for noticing. ;)

My point is that people should stop griping about their inability to plan. I've seen people post that they do not like the "new" policy because they cannot arbitrarily grab FPs for the same time as a PS any longer. How does the saying go...? "a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." My own cousin is the same way. Kicking and screaming over this rule (just like some here) because Disney isn't allowing them to do whatever the hell they want. :rolleyes:

I fail to understand how not being able to get a FP in a window where we have dinner and a parade to see is poor planning. It has nothing at all to do with planning what so ever.

Before, it didn't matter if I had other things scheduled. I would still get FP's... We would just use them later than the window... Because that was the policy.

With the new policy, I can no longer use a FP from that window later on that night.

That's a loss of a FP attraction that in the past we could have ridden, pure and simple.

It has nothing to do with planning. We went to our ADR's. We watched the parades. We watched the fireworks. The difference was that after those were done, we weren't able to use FP's we had aquired during the day. That's where we missed out on rides that prior to the change we wouldn't have missed.

Planning has nothing to do with it.

Tell me... How do you feel about the condition of Splash Mountain? I'm curious.

menamechris

Is there anything Disney does that you don't like? Or that inconveniences you? Or that you wish wouldn't change?

Let people speak their mind without being condescending back. People are blowing off steam, not organizing a strike.

draybook

Thanks for noticing. ;)

Fair enough, but how about the fact that you have to cross the entire park to see FP return times at most parks? Is that poor planning on the guests part?

dduck174

a little clarification...

We would just use them later than the window... Because that was the policy.

I am confused...where was it written you could come back whenever you wanted. I will admit maybe I am wrong and you are right I didn't know it was ever written I guess I just assumed since a window was provided that was it, I mean why offer a window if in reality the policy basically says come back when you want? So honestly not trying to be a but where and when was it written that you could come back when you wanted, cause it has been awhile but it wasn't there when I was a CM which is longer ago than I would care to admit.

See to me I originally opened this thread thinking something had changed and when I read it thought no they are just enforcing the originally rule...so imagine my confusion and now its got a little nasty.

Buried20KLeague

We would just use them later than the window... Because that was the policy.

I am confused...where was it written you could come back whenever you wanted. I will admit maybe I am wrong and you are right I didn't know it was ever written I guess I just assumed since a window was provided that was it, I mean why offer a window if in reality the policy basically says come back when you want? So honestly not trying to be a but where and when was it written that you could come back when you wanted, cause it has been awhile but it wasn't there when I was a CM which is longer ago than I would care to admit.

See to me I originally opened this thread thinking something had changed and when I read it thought no they are just enforcing the originally rule...so imagine my confusion and now its got a little nasty.

An internal memo from the cast portal was posted here, I think in this thread even. I'm on my iPhone so it's not too easy to look. It was a written policy.

draybook

While the old FP's didn't state that you could come late, it did say that early arrivals would not be accommodated. I don't know how it started, since our first trip was in 08, but after we found out we started using them at the end of the night. I can tell you from firsthand experience that we never saw an impact on the stand-by lines. Of course we usually go during non-peak season, but this March we saw FP lines blown out with the times being enforced.

Fractal514

I fail to understand how not being able to get a FP in a window where we have dinner and a parade to see is poor planning. It has nothing at all to do with planning what so ever.

Before, it didn't matter if I had other things scheduled. I would still get FP's... We would just use them later than the window... Because that was the policy.

With the new policy, I can no longer use a FP from that window later on that night.

That's a loss of a FP attraction that in the past we could have ridden, pure and simple.

It has nothing to do with planning. We went to our ADR's. We watched the parades. We watched the fireworks. The difference was that after those were done, we weren't able to use FP's we had aquired during the day. That's where we missed out on rides that prior to the change we wouldn't have missed.

Planning has nothing to do with it.

Tell me... How do you feel about the condition of Splash Mountain? I'm curious.

The thing that I think people are missing is the fact that you don't NEED a FP to ride something. You want to by-pass the lines, I get that, but in order to do so you need to follow the rules. If Disney used to let you grab a FP and return whenever, then great. If they no longer do that, then so what? You don't NEED it in order to be able to ride. It sounds to me like people want to have their cake and eat it too. Not only do you want to avoid standing in the Stand-By line, but you want to do it on your own schedule, and I guess Disney is saying that you can't do that anymore. I still think the FP system is a great system, and if the return window makes sense for me and my family,, I'll grab it, but if it doesn't make sense, I'll just get in the Stand-By line.

From what I hear, Splash Mountain is looking like crap lately with failed AA's all over the place.

Buried20KLeague

The thing that I think people are missing is the fact that you don't NEED a FP to ride something. You want to by-pass the lines, I get that, but in order to do so you need to follow the rules. If Disney used to let you grab a FP and return whenever, then great. If they no longer do that, then so what? You don't NEED it in order to be able to ride. It sounds to me like people want to have their cake and eat it too. Not only do you want to avoid standing in the Stand-By line, but you want to do it on your own schedule, and I guess Disney is saying that you can't do that anymore. I still think the FP system is a great system, and if the return window makes sense for me and my family,, I'll grab it, but if it doesn't make sense, I'll just get in the Stand-By line.

From what I hear, Splash Mountain is looking like crap lately with failed AA's all over the place.

Well sure. And we did get in the stand by line once or twice, but usually we'd use that time in line for non FP rides. My personal theory is as long as you'll have the time later in your trip to get a FP for a ride, never wait in the stand by unless the line is very short obviously. We'd rather spend our line time on rides without FP.

What it meant for my family was less rides on FP attractions through the course of our trip than on previous trips before the change. That's how the change effected us.

What I want are a couple tweaks to the system so that EVERYONE can have their cake and eat it too. I believe there's a better way they could be doing it than they are currently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom