Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

rioriz

As a person that goes to WDW often each year, I wonder what the norm is for frequent visitors in regards to the amount of rides they ride? For me, knowing to get there early, I am able to ride all the E tickets plus take my time to experience even shows like LMA in between and never feel cheated out of my experience. Heck half the days sometimes are spent in WS. So what is realistic view for how many one should ride a day?

Tom

Beta Return
A few things - first off, the reports on xPass are that it will be a free service for everyone.

I think the solution here is to potentially expand the Fastpass return windows from an hour to two or three hours depending on the attraction. Attractions like Toy Story, Soarin', and Space Mountain should have a one hour return, Jungle Cruise and Buzz Lightyear should have two hour return windows and the new FP attractions like Spaceship Earth and The Seas with Nemo and Friends should have 3 hour windows.

I like your proposal. The higher the popularity, the shorter the window.

G00fyDad

I find it very interesting that in all my visits to the parks and use of FP, I never once didn't come back during the hour window that was provided. I guess I never even knew there was a way to "take advantage" of the system. I am fairly certain as what I would consider a pretty hardcore WDW fan, I can't be the only one. So, it seems to me this really doesn't affect anywhere near the majority of the park goers. I realize on this site we are the loud minority but its my understanding it was always intended to be the way it is now...not a big change to me...shrug...

^^^^THIS. You are not the only one. :wave:

We go often enough and we have never used the FPs late. We even have a TS every single day or night in the parks and we still are able to use the FP system to maximize our riding times. People complaining that they had a TS reservation and couldn't make it back on time doesn't really fly. Stop getting a FP for a time that would make it unreasonable to be back on time from a TS. :shrug: The return times for the FP you could get are posted so it's not like it is a mystery until you get the FP. I've seen many people complain that they had a PS for 5:30pm but the FPs were for 5:00pm to 6:00pm. Well I'm pretty sure that the FP signs told them that the return time was 5:00pm to 6:00pm. The only argument that others have against this logic is that they want what they want when they want it. After all, they gave Disney their money so Disney should let them do what they want. :hammer: Well so did I and I don't look at it that way. :wave:

emcclay

CM at Test Track let us use our FP 5 minutes before return time this Tuesday 3/27. She checked the time and said "Close enough!" and let us go. From a distance, I did see her turn away other people while we were waiting for that 5 minute mark.

jed012788

I hate this response. People don't get it.
What's there not to get? You have 80 minutes to return to the attraction. Eighty freaking minutes. It's more than enough time. None of these parks are that big -- you could walk from one end of the Magic Kingdom to the other in, what, 10 minutes? For several hours, you know exactly when your window opens. You know when your window will open before you even acquire the Fastpass. There's so few legitimate excuses for why you couldn't return during an 80-minute window.

And if you somehow did miss your window. If the world conspired against you and somehow you actually couldn't get back to the attraction in time, the standby line is always an option. It's absolutely, positively, 100% absurd that you would get a Fastpass, see the window printed on it and say to yourself, "I'll use this when I feel like it."

Like many people here, I've been using Fastpass from the moment it was unveiled. For the first, what, five years at least I had no idea you could use them Fastpasses later in the day. It was basic common sense to return during the window on the ticket. Eventually, I had heard that Cast Members would accept latecomers. I, like most people I'm sure, thought, "Wow, that's a nice courtesy." But even still, it was obvious to try to do everything in your power to return during the window. Honestly, it all sounds like basic common sense.

I'm sorry, but this whole argument is absolutely ridiculous.

Scuttle

What's there not to get? You have 80 minutes to return to the attraction. Eighty freaking minutes. It's more than enough time. None of these parks are that big -- you could walk from one end of the Magic Kingdom to the other in, what, 10 minutes? For several hours, you know exactly when your window opens. You know when your window will open before you even acquire the Fastpass. There's so few legitimate excuses for why you couldn't return during an 80-minute window.

And if you somehow did miss your window. If the world conspired against you and somehow you actually couldn't get back to the attraction in time, the standby line is always an option. It's absolutely, positively, 100% absurd that you would get a Fastpass, see the window printed on it and say to yourself, "I'll use this when I feel like it."

Like many people here, I've been using Fastpass from the moment it was unveiled. For the first, what, five years at least I had no idea you could use them Fastpasses later in the day. It was basic common sense to return during the window on the ticket. Eventually, I had heard that Cast Members would accept latecomers. I, like most people I'm sure, thought, "Wow, that's a nice courtesy." But even still, it was obvious to try to do everything in your power to return during the window. Honestly, it all sounds like basic common sense.

I'm sorry, but this whole argument is absolutely ridiculous.

There are to many variables I'm sorry. Now im not saying you should be able to return hours after the return close, but an extra 45 minutes would help greatly. There are so many transportation problems that could arise, you could get caught behind the parade or be on a ride that breaks down and has to do an evac. And 10 minutes? Have you not been during peak season? It took me and my GF 30 minutes to walk from Space to Thunder on Dec. 30 2009. Add kids to the mix and it would take even longer. My point is there are so many issues that can arise and prevent you from making that return window and it no doubt has limited the number of rides you are able to do in a day. We use to love taking the monorail over to the Poly and grabbing a drink since the MK is dry and having the luxury of not rushing back to the park for the return window. Now it is just a blind crapshoot and I really can't stand it and it has changed my touring for the worst. I wish TDO would have waited until xpass actually arrives to make this change. I mean that was basically the same thing as xpass. You picked the time when you wanted to return essentially. Why couldn't they have waited until the system was fully implemented? :shrug:

MileLongBar

Indeed. There are too many variable for this change in my opinion. I hope TDO gets complaint after complaint. here's the thing, in the slow season when the return time are 45 minutes away all day and the fastpasses last into the evening then this isn't a problem, but during peak season when they go quick and have return time 5,6,7 hours away it seems absurd. From a business sense it doesn't make sense to me. It seems more people will be waiting in the stand by line as a result of this change which means more people in line not buying things. I don't like the change or get it to be honest.

Buried20KLeague

A few things - first off, the reports on xPass are that it will be a free service for everyone.

I think the solution here is to potentially expand the Fastpass return windows from an hour to two or three hours depending on the attraction. Attractions like Toy Story, Soarin', and Space Mountain should have a one hour return, Jungle Cruise and Buzz Lightyear should have two hour return windows and the new FP attractions like Spaceship Earth and The Seas with Nemo and Friends should have 3 hour windows.

I actually thought that on our trip, and it would have EASILY solved all the issues we were experiencing. I'm not sure why they have the current 1-hour "magic window".

Buried20KLeague

^^^^THIS. You are not the only one. :wave:

We go often enough and we have never used the FPs late. We even have a TS every single day or night in the parks and we still are able to use the FP system to maximize our riding times. People complaining that they had a TS reservation and couldn't make it back on time doesn't really fly. Stop getting a FP for a time that would make it unreasonable to be back on time from a TS. :shrug: The return times for the FP you could get are posted so it's not like it is a mystery until you get the FP. I've seen many people complain that they had a PS for 5:30pm but the FPs were for 5:00pm to 6:00pm. Well I'm pretty sure that the FP signs told them that the return time was 5:00pm to 6:00pm. The only argument that others have against this logic is that they want what they want when they want it. After all, they gave Disney their money so Disney should let them do what they want. :hammer: Well so did I and I don't look at it that way. :wave:

You're over-simplifying it. I'm not going to post the same thing I've said about 5 times in this thread again, but I've posted real and rational issues with the policy, along with a real-time example of what happened to us just over a week ago.

SMZ MD

I would love to see anyone go from one end of any WDW park to the other in 10 minutes without running. That is silly, especially if you have smaller children. I disagree with the one hour window as well. What will happen with us is we as a famliy will spend less time in the parks. we used to get a fast pass at for instavce Soarin' which might have a time to return 5 hours from the time it was obtained. then we would go on to other areas or even back to the hotel for naps and return later. Never missed the window by much, but I won't bother now. If we go to the trouble to try to come back and are a few minutes late 2nd to transportation or long lines to get in we will be turned away.

Scuttle

I would love to see anyone go from one end of any WDW park to the other in 10 minutes without running. That is silly, especially if you have smaller children. I disagree with the one hour window as well. What will happen with us is we as a famliy will spend less time in the parks. we used to get a fast pass at for instavce Soarin' which might have a time to return 5 hours from the time it was obtained. then we would go on to other areas or even back to the hotel for naps and return later. Never missed the window by much, but I won't bother now. If we go to the trouble to try to come back and are a few minutes late 2nd to transportation or long lines to get in we will be turned away.

Exactly!!!

rct247

I think everyone that doesn't like, should test themselves next time they visit.

Next time you visit, do your very best to not complain about it, but try it out for a day or two with an open mind. Return at the times your Fastpass says and enjoy the rest of your day as you normally would (or as best as possible).

See if it is easier than you though. See if you really do encounter tons of problems. As for those that typically leave the park for a nap, to park hop, for lunch, to get a drink, etc, see if you can find ways to still do that with the Fastpass times you recieve. If not, see if there are places in the parks that can equally provide rest and relaxation away from the typical theme park crowds. Find new traditions and ways around things.

If it all proves to be the worst vacation you have ever taken, well, then you can complain about how the new enforcement has been detrimental. If you find that is is more doable than you original thought, it just means that your future vacation might require a slight modification or two which really isn't a big deal when you account for other things like weather than can also force you to make modifications.

When my sister visited, we had Fastpass for Space Mountain in the morning, so we did stuff in Tomorrowland until our Fastpass. That worked out fine and we got a lot done. We then grabbed one for Peter Pan. We had 2-3 hours until we could use it. So we did Haunted Mansion, grabbed lunch, rode pirates, grabbed a Fastpass for Splash Mountain, and then made it back in time. We then split up, did a few other things. My sister and her friends were on Main Street shopping. I was over in Storybook Circus. I actually waiting 20 minutes to board the train over there, took a while to ride around, but we all still made it in our window. After that, they decided to go back to the hotel to rest and return later. With the Spring Break crowds (and a group of 8 of them), they were still able to get the following attractions done:
-Space Mountain
-Buzz Lightyear
-Monster Inc
-Haunted Mansion
-Pirates of the Caribbean
-Peter Pan's Flight
-Jungle Cruise
-Phillharmagic
-Splash Mountain
-Mad Tea Party
-Walt Disney World Railroad
-plus had time to shop, eat lunch, go back to the hotel an nap, watch the castle show, watch the Magic, memories, & you, and watch the fireworks.

That's pretty darn good.

pax_65

Thanks for that. I looked it up to prove you wrong and discovered you're right! I am relieved and more than a little surprised. This is a very positive development. The initial reports I heard were that it would be a premium service that people would pay to get.

Still curious to see how DVC and annual passholders will fit into the plan, since we are both. As such, we don't buy the package deals.

I'm still not totally thrilled, since we enjoy leaving room for spontaneity during our vacation - go to bed and ask the kids, "What park do you want to do tomorrow?" Then get up and do it.

But I could probably work with the system. I'd probably get XPasses for one day in 1 park, 1 day in another park and then just be spontaneous the rest of the time. That's not a terrible arrangement. I still wouldn't plan every minute of every day of my vacation, though... although I'm sure some people will. To each his own.

In the pre-Fastpass days, we just arrived at the park when it opened. Actually, we still do that - and usually hit all the major attractions before the park starts getting crowded 90 minutes after open. We'd get FPs and usually use them within the window since we'd be getting another FP as soon as it was available. Ultimately we usually wrap up the park by around 1 and are back at our resort pool by 2.

For me, that the right way to do WDW. :cool:

Another option is just to adopt the old tricks we used to have to rely on to avoid crowds in the days before FP. Ride E-tickets during meal times, parades, at rope drop, close to closing ... Plan your visits for off-season dates. I still use these methods, and only collect FPs for anything longer than 20 minutes. If I know I have plans for the return time, I won't take one. But usually, I rarely ever have to get more than 2 FPs a day if I plan my day around the crowds.

Some people have adopted specific park habits ... Of course it's hard to break what some felt was an effective method. People will eventually adapt, and in a year or so, people will have new methods.

SMZ MD

I think everyone that doesn't like, should test themselves next time they visit.

Next time you visit, do your very best to not complain about it, but try it out for a day or two with an open mind. Return at the times your Fastpass says and enjoy the rest of your day as you normally would (or as best as possible).

See if it is easier than you though. See if you really do encounter tons of problems. As for those that typically leave the park for a nap, to park hop, for lunch, to get a drink, etc, see if you can find ways to still do that with the Fastpass times you recieve. If not, see if there are places in the parks that can equally provide rest and relaxation away from the typical theme park crowds. Find new traditions and ways around things.

If it all proves to be the worst vacation you have ever taken, well, then you can complain about how the new enforcement has been detrimental. If you find that is is more doable than you original thought, it just means that your future vacation might require a slight modification or two which really isn't a big deal when you account for other things like weather than can also force you to make modifications.

When my sister visited, we had Fastpass for Space Mountain in the morning, so we did stuff in Tomorrowland until our Fastpass. That worked out fine and we got a lot done. We then grabbed one for Peter Pan. We had 2-3 hours until we could use it. So we did Haunted Mansion, grabbed lunch, rode pirates, grabbed a Fastpass for Splash Mountain, and then made it back in time. We then split up, did a few other things. My sister and her friends were on Main Street shopping. I was over in Storybook Circus. I actually waiting 20 minutes to board the train over there, took a while to ride around, but we all still made it in our window. After that, they decided to go back to the hotel to rest and return later. With the Spring Break crowds (and a group of 8 of them), they were still able to get the following attractions done:
-Space Mountain
-Buzz Lightyear
-Monster Inc
-Haunted Mansion
-Pirates of the Caribbean
-Peter Pan's Flight
-Jungle Cruise
-Phillharmagic
-Splash Mountain
-Mad Tea Party
-Walt Disney World Railroad
-plus had time to shop, eat lunch, go back to the hotel an nap, watch the castle show, watch the Magic, memories, & you, and watch the fireworks.

That's pretty darn good.

I already do the suggestions above. We have never intentionally ignored the return time. I just know that there are multiple road blocks that may pop up(Transportation, bathroom breaks for 3 kids, broken shoelace to name a few) which may delay us by a few minutes. In the past we could still enjoy our pass, but now no more. I am not suggesting that we be able to come back whenever we want or ignore the times completely, but the purpose or theses passes in the first place was convenience to the guest. This is very reduced with the current policy. Either I hang around the parks for hours right by the attraction or gamble that I'll make the window. Both reduce the magic a good bit. I'm not sure what the answer is but they really need to make some changes or they should stop bragging about the convenience of the fast pass option.

disneyeater

I just returned from a trip the week they started enforcing the window and had no problem hitting the window every time.

That said, I think increasing the window to 2 hours would provide increased flexibility and would solve most issues people could encounter trying to get back in time to use fastpass.

SMZ MD

I agree 2 hours would help. I try to shoot for the beginning to middle of the 1 hour window start time now, but miss it about 1/3 of the time. I do not want to feel like I need to run to get there, but do not want to stand around for 30 minutes waiting either, especially when time is so precious there.With the extra hour if I still tried to get there by the start to the window that would give me another 45-60 minutes with the 2 hr window. Does anyone think they will change this???

RSoxNo1

I just returned from a trip the week they started enforcing the window and had no problem hitting the window every time.

That said, I think increasing the window to 2 hours would provide increased flexibility and would solve most issues people could encounter trying to get back in time to use fastpass.

Yes. The problem with enforcing the end time is that people will be faced with the choice of making dining reservations or experiencing an attraction without a long wait. The scenario I point to is the availability of a Toy Story Mania fastpass conflicting with a Brown Derby reservation. Since October of last year this scenario has become increasingly problematic.

Prior to October of last year you could have opted to skip your Brown Derby reservation and visit Toy Story Mania during the return window without financial penalty for skipping the reservation. You also could have made your reservation and visited Toy Story after eating (undoubtedly an experience that was longer than an hour for most people).

Between October of last year and March of this year you could still return late to Toy Story, but if you opted to skip your Brown Derby reservation and go to Toy Story when your fastpass time came up you'd be charged $10 a person.

From March going forward you are faced with an either or situation. You can either not use your Toy Story fastpass and get dinner. Or you can skip dinner, be charged $10 a person and get on Toy Story with your fastpass. Either way you are wasting time or money that you weren't wasting before.

My hope is that with the likelihood of smart phones taking over, that guests would be able to pick available windows for their fastpasses when they're selecting them on their phones. We know they'll be able to do that with xPass, so my hope is that it would happen with same day Fastpasses as well. Until this happens, the system is more broken than it was prior to the enforcement of this rule.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
There is definately something to be said about the old days...back when you had A thru E Tickets and no FP. With the ticket system, operations had the urgency to keep attraction lines moving with the proper number of vehicles in motion. They also made a true effort to fill every seat. There were also more "smaller" attractions to visit back then, spreading out the crowds even more. While there were still lines at attractions, everything was much more efficient. They also used to over estimate the ride times by 1/2 (ie...if the line to the Haunted Mansion was really a 20 minute line, they'd post a 30 minute wait). This, psycologically, made you feel better about the wait time you experienced..."wow, the line really moved fast".

Now Disney has your $80+ at the door, and really no incentive to increase capacity or efficiency...other than to improve mediocre survey results. It would be interesting to see what the price of those tickets would be today, if they still existed. Would an E ticket be $5, $7, or even $10? Makes for an interesting conversation.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you made the return time longer... you'd still have the some by people that had their reservation conflict with the last half of the window.

No matter what size the window is, there will always be some portion of people that 'miss out' because they took a FP for a time window that overlaps with something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom