Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

the-reason14

Yeah, I probably wouldn't hold your breath on that one - my guess is they will start to charge for it before they go back to their old ways.

btw - just wanted to note that while you and I disagree on this subject - I have stated that I don't use the FP's outside of the window and don't necessarily agree that people do - I appreciate that you can respond quite nicely...I think some posts here have gotten a touch out of hand with the personal attacks.

I try to state my case as simply as I can and realize people will disagree with it and I have no problem with them disagreeing as long as it doesn't get too personal or nasty.

I tend to try to put myself in others shoes so I do try to see where you're coming from and in the end, I still may not agree with it but I think we can be civil even from opposite sides of the fence.

Just don't cut in line in front of me, deal? :lol:

Yes I enjoy life so I gotta keep breathing :lol: And thanks for taking notice. I will admit originally this was a heated thing for me. It's still not something I'm happy with but can deal with it. I understand everyone's different and that we all have our way of doing things. I would never tell anyone how they should vacation and I appreciate the same from others. It all falls down to respect, and even though my perspective is the easiest for me to see obviously cuz it's mine, I still try to respect others in their views as long as it's given back. In regards to this policy, it just simply works for specific types of vacationer. I love to park hop, head back to Pop for naps, then head back to the parks and use fastpasses. For the ones staying all day at a park, it really isn't that difficult to do. Hell, with the way I move, just this past trip I was able to go to mgm 3 different times to use fastpasses for toy story after going to other parks in between. So it's not impossible, just not as convenient.

But either way it's just important to have fun and not sweat the small stuff. Thanks for the kind words and I promise you I won't cut you in line:animwink: I'll just use a fastpass lol.

Tom Morrow

we hope it doesn't get to that Patricia27, but as a former Universal Employee, I totally understood the reason why they stopped Express to the public and made it an extra add option to your ticket. It was just TOO MUCH DRAMA. I personally experience the complains, the battles between Express guest and Stand By guest. So I think Universal thought if we are going to be dealing with this situation, then we better make something out of it. Since then the drama is gone and complains about this matter has almost vanished. So to answer your question, if fastpass cant get under control and keeps affecting the daily operations of an attraction, plus! raises the numbers of complains coming in, which affects the overall ratings of the park... yeah you might see something like that happening. Hey, you can look at it this way... back in the 80's we use to have the "one line fits all", everyone was treated equally and we enjoyed the parks back then like we do now.
People are always so quick to trash the "evil" Universal for charging for their Express Pass. But it is run and handled so so SO much better than the absolute headache that Disney's Fastpass service creates for both guests and cast members.

From a guest's point of view, a basic Express Pass gets you one guaranteed entrance to EVERY attraction (minus Potter and Rockit for now) for that day. You can use it whenever you want. You don't have to deal with all the stress involved in: 1. getting to the attraction early enough to make sure it still has Fastpasses available. 2. Wasting time going to that attraction even though you won't even be riding it for at least an hour or more. 3. Making sure that the return window doesn't conflict with your other plans. 4. Making sure to return during that time. 5. Having to wait to obtain another Fastpass.

It all seems so simple to us, as park veterans, but it stresses the hell out of the general public. With Universal's Express pass, absolutely NONE of that stress is involved.

Oh and then there's the fact that Universal doesn't sell a ridiculous amount of Express Pass, so the Express lines usually aren't too long. Oh, and they aren't filled with people scamming the GAC system, rider switches, etc either. OH, AND Universal doesn't devote 80 to 95% of the ride's capacity to the Express queue.

Its an all around win. But keep trashing their system because oh no, you have to pay!! Gimme my MAGICal Fastpass so I can skip the longer line that Fastpass itself created in the first place!

jasonfresta

good riddance (to that problem). never used fastpass.. never will.

goodbye "line cutters" that make it impossible to get on Space Mountain one last time at the end of the day. LOL

draybook

good riddance (to that problem). never used fastpass.. never will.

goodbye "line cutters" that make it impossible to get on Space Mountain one last time at the end of the day. LOL

"Line cutters" make it impossible for you to transport your body into the queue before the closing minute? Does Disney not let you in up until the last minute? They did two weeks ago when we were there.

Also, I would disagree with Tom Morrow about Express Pass during Spring Break. Lines were extremely long because there were tons of people with them, at least on the two days we were there. At MIB, the line went from 1-2 minutes up to 15 in the blink of an eye. Seriously, as soon as 10am hit, the flood of EP people came rushing in. I would estimate about 45-48 people within 2 minutes came into that line.

t3techcom18

Used FP at Jungle Cruise this morning. CM did not check the time.

I can tell you as an Ops CM that, when looking at FP's for 45 minutes straight, all of them start to look the same and the subtle difference can be harder to tell.

However, most of us CM's usually do a second-glance when you start to think, "Wait, did that just say 5:10 instead of 2:10?" and that's when most of us double check.

Annnnnd of course you have the others, like this situation, who are oblivious.... -_-

Rumors going around that they are now handing out significantly more Fastpasses per window. Can anyone confirm/deny?

If that's true, then with enforcing the window, its like they took one step forward, one step back. Its like, here we thought they were trying to improve the standby wait times. Nope, it seems their goal is that you need a Fastpass to wait what you would have waited if the attraction didn't have Fastpass.

Ok, I understand that they have always adjusted the number of fastpasses per window based on that attraction's current capacity and whatnot, but still. I couldn't believe it. Every ride, fastpass line all the way to the entrance. I've never seen it like that. Not even on phase closing days. Something is different. They are handing out more per window. Perhaps testing to see what the lines might be like when Xpass is factored in?

Bingo. The expanding hasn't hit all FP attractions yet but it's still happening in droves. If anything, the most fascinating part about all of this is that more and more guests are asking if FP is a ticket add-on or is available for purchase and that some attractions are FP only.

Not that I really want to bring up the wheelchair debate again, but I'm just curious-- what rides get you to the front of the line in a wheelchair/scooter? I'm just wondering because people always say this, but when I go to WDW with my grandpa, who uses a scooter, he waits in the regular line with me and switches out when he gets to the ride vehicle, just like everyone else. At times we went through a different entrance, but I wouldn't say it was substantially shorter or anywhere close to cutting the line, and in some cases I think this method actually took longer than waiting in line...

It comes down to a simple set of fact tidbits: If said attraction's queue is wheelchair accessible, they can go in any line. It all depends if they if they have a GAC card with them. Depending on what stamp Guest Relations puts on it is our way to know what to do with that group of Guests. The rides that have a completely different entrance is usually ones that don't have enough space in the queue due to it being a small attraction or an attraction grandfathered in to the ADA-compliance rule (biggest example: SSE).

t3techcom18

It's a bunch of early teenagers... Call a CM and ask him/her to talk to the teenagers... Brazilians can not follow some rules of have different customs, but they do obbey orders when telled by some "authority".

About shouting "Portuguese phrases", what expect from Brazilians since their mother tongue is... Portuguese?

:shrug:

OT -

....I could go on bout this for quite a bit honestly, haha....

First, If you've seen the tour groups, you should know that, if anything, the tour group leaders are enabling the teens. They are usually the ones who lead them in chants and so forth.

Second, to say it's in their nature just because they're early teenagers is wrong. Not all teens act the same way and even then, there's a little thing called discipline.

Thirdly...No, it isn't wrong to speak Portuguese phrases. It's the way they're doing is what we have an issue with. The way the groups are going at it is in how they yell at people, be extremely loud in places they're not supposed to be, be extremely rude because they say they don't know English, use flash photography on dark-lit attractions, etc. It's VERY rude and disrespectful to others around them. They don't realize that being in another country means you automatically need to change your behavior in certain situations, especially tour groups, where they're a representative of their country. I've had plenty of International College Program members who are Brazilian, look at the Brazilian tour groups, and are completely embarrassed and understand why they have such infamy at WDW. As being of Latino descent myself, when I see big families very similar in behavior to those of the tour groups (and we're naturally loud but Brazilians are loudest), it embarrasses me. They set a bad reputation for those of us who represent our culture/nationality well.

Simply put, they don't realize there's a time and place for everything and that being in another country doesn't mean you can go crazy and get away with it.

RSoxNo1

Used FP at Jungle Cruise this morning. CM did not check the time.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see the return times "strongly" enforced on attractions like Jungle Cruise where the FP buildup is typically small. When the return time is usually 40 minutes out, the need for FP isn't as large and the demand is less.

Maybe this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it. Do we know any details about how Xpass will work, how much it will cost, etc.? Thanks!

We had Jim on our show this week to discuss Next Gen. We discussed xPass, going into a bit more detail than he had previously mentioned in his articles.

Some interesting points from the conversation
  • The presentation shown to Iger included a proposal that depending on crowds Magic Kingdom guests would get 3 or 4 xPasses per day, while Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom would receive 2 or 3
  • This same presentation included possibilities to expand xPass offerings such as an additional E-Ticket attraction or a third theater for Soarin'. These were suggestions, definitely not green lit.
  • Guests would not be able to book all of their xPasses on marquee attractions
  • It will likely not role out to everyone at once, but will be available to everyone eventually
  • Initially, the service was going to be a pay service, but they ultimately determined that they would be able to profit from it in other ways, hence the switch to a free service.
  • The name xPass cannot stay due to an offensive (Not Safe For Work) website that uses that name.

Another things that seemed to come from this was that Smart Phones will be the root of the Next Gen system. The possibility also exists that Disney would allow people that don't have smart phones to rent a device that can be used for their vacation.

The advantage of this all being done by a smart phone is that it can change the way Disney does quick service (you can order your quick service food in advance and have it be ready when you pick it up), and you likely wouldn't have to visit an attraction to get a same day Fastpass.

awhit066

We had Jim on our show this week to discuss Next Gen. We discussed xPass, going into a bit more detail than he had previously mentioned in his articles.

• The presentation shown to Iger included a proposal that depending on crowds Magic Kingdom guests would get 3 or 4 xPasses per day, while Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom would receive 2 or 3
  • This same presentation included possibilities to expand xPass offerings such as an additional E-Ticket attraction or a third theater for Soarin'. These were suggestions, definitely not green lit.
  • It will likely not role out to everyone at once, but will be available to everyone eventually
  • Initially, the service was going to be a pay service, but they ultimately determined that they would be able to profit from it in other ways, hence the switch to a free service.
  • The name xPass cannot stay due to an offensive (Not Safe For Work) website that uses that name.

Another things that seemed to come from this was that Smart Phones will be the root of the Next Gen system. The possibility also exists that Disney would allow people that don't have smart phones to rent a device that can be used for their vacation.

The advantage of this all being done by a smart phone is that it can change the way Disney does quick service (you can order your quick service food in advance and have it be ready when you pick it up), and you likely wouldn't have to visit an attraction to get a same day Fastpass.

LOL, the not safe for work website is hilarious. You would think they would have done a quick Google search before naming it that (even if it was just a temporary name).

I'm intrigued to see what will come from the smart phone rental possibilities. Being from Canada, using the data on my smartphone in the states has HUGE roaming charges tacked on to the regular bill. In the past I have purposely not used my phone for this reason, even though there are many apps that would have been useful while touring. If the NextGen Pass becomes heavily reliant on smartphones I really hope they follow through with the plan to make phone available to rent (at a reasonable rate) so they do not start excluding a portion of their guests.

awhit066

LOL, the not safe for work website is hilarious. You would think they would have done a quick Google search before naming it that (even if it was just a temporary name).

I'm intrigued to see what will come from the smart phone rental possibilities. Being from Canada, using the data on my smartphone in the states has HUGE roaming charges tacked on to the regular bill. In the past I have purposely not used my phone for this reason, even though there are many apps that would have been useful while touring. If the NextGen Pass becomes heavily reliant on smartphones I really hope they follow through with the plan to make phone available to rent (at a reasonable rate) so they do not start excluding a portion of their guests.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can't stand it. Way to many variables go into a visit. When the return times are 4-5 hours away and then you aren't able to get another fastpass for 2 hours that's ridiculous. It's totally changed my touring for the worst.

Did you feel the same way when FP was first introduced? That it was horrible for the very same reasons?

Point being.. people have become so accustomed to the relaxed enforcement scenario they behave like the world was dark, gloomy, and unbearable before FPs could be used at any time. It wasn't unbearable then, and it won't be unbearable now.

Buried20KLeague

Then they better work on their data network availability.

We just spent 6 days at the parks and I had the Disney Parks app for the iPhone on AT&T, and literally not once was I able to use it while in the parks. Not once. At no point could I look at FP distribution times for attractions across the park from me to find out if it was worth walking over there to even GET a FP. I would get timeout errors and data connection errors and nothing more.

The new enforcement rule cost me at least two E-ticket rides per day. That's at least 12 E-ticket rides over the course of our stay. The reasons I missed were all legit, too... We were stuck at Garden Grill for close to two hours one day. One day we got to Splash with 10 minutes to spare and it was down and the FP's weren't honored later in the day since the downtime was "relatively short". Many, many times I simply didn't want to trek to the other side of the park since I had absolutely no clue if FP's were still available and for what time window considering we had dinner reservations, parades, fireworks, etc to work around. CM's in other areas of the parks didn't have FP time information available to them, either. If I was at Buzz, there was literally no way for me to know if I could still get a FP at Splash at that point in the day, or if I could, what time window it would be for and if it would work for my schedule for the night... Hell, Splash might have even been 101 at the time and I couldn't even GET a FP no matter what. I had no idea.

The policy is horrible.

Some of the issues would be solved by a better data network (so the parks app would actually work), or by having FP times posted on a sign at the entrance to each area and one near the hub. With that knowledge available, it wouldn't be such a shot in the dark.

But of course, rather than planning ahead properly and addressing these shortcomings, WDW just pulls the trigger on changing things without putting thought into it and preparing.

Surprise, surprise.

disneyeater

I was there the week this changed and the adjustment wasn't that difficult. It involved more walking across the parks than we would normally do, but it wan't a big deal to make the change to getting back during our window.

DonaldDoleWhip

Some of the issues would be solved by a better data network (so the parks app would actually work), or by having FP times posted on a sign at the entrance to each area and one near the hub. With that knowledge available, it wouldn't be such a shot in the dark.
Agreed. I really like the mobile magic app...when it actually works. It's ridiculously irritating when I want to know EE's FP return time before I make the lengthy trek over there, and it takes about 5 minutes for the app to even recognize that I'm in AK. :ROFLOL:

That would help things a lot, IMO. Also, I hate how I have to be in the park (not even at the park entrance, but literally deep within the park) to see FP return times. If I'm at Boardwalk and I want to know whether I have a better shot at a Soarin' or Rock n' Roller Coaster FP, why can't the app just tell me?

For the record, I was fine with the changes during my early March trip. But these are some minor improvements that could really reduce the amount of inconvenience that guests feel.

Tom Morrow

Also, I would disagree with Tom Morrow about Express Pass during Spring Break. Lines were extremely long because there were tons of people with them, at least on the two days we were there. At MIB, the line went from 1-2 minutes up to 15 in the blink of an eye. Seriously, as soon as 10am hit, the flood of EP people came rushing in. I would estimate about 45-48 people within 2 minutes came into that line.
The same thing happens at Disney, on every medium-sized crowd level day at the major FP demand attractions.

RSoxNo1

The idea that we'll ultimately be able to check Fastpass return times and book Fastpasses for our entire group on our phones is incredibly intriguing.

For those of us that were worried about backtracking around the parks due to the new enforcement times, this will potentially eliminate that all together.

Scuttle

The idea that we'll ultimately be able to check Fastpass return times and book Fastpasses for our entire group on our phones is incredibly intriguing.

For those of us that were worried about backtracking around the parks due to the new enforcement times, this will potentially eliminate that all together.

I guess this is why centralized fastpass machines were never implemented.

Scuttle

Then they better work on their data network availability.

We just spent 6 days at the parks and I had the Disney Parks app for the iPhone on AT&T, and literally not once was I able to use it while in the parks. Not once. At no point could I look at FP distribution times for attractions across the park from me to find out if it was worth walking over there to even GET a FP. I would get timeout errors and data connection errors and nothing more.

The new enforcement rule cost me at least two E-ticket rides per day. That's at least 12 E-ticket rides over the course of our stay. The reasons I missed were all legit, too... We were stuck at Garden Grill for close to two hours one day. One day we got to Splash with 10 minutes to spare and it was down and the FP's weren't honored later in the day since the downtime was "relatively short". Many, many times I simply didn't want to trek to the other side of the park since I had absolutely no clue if FP's were still available and for what time window considering we had dinner reservations, parades, fireworks, etc to work around. CM's in other areas of the parks didn't have FP time information available to them, either. If I was at Buzz, there was literally no way for me to know if I could still get a FP at Splash at that point in the day, or if I could, what time window it would be for and if it would work for my schedule for the night... Hell, Splash might have even been 101 at the time and I couldn't even GET a FP no matter what. I had no idea.

The policy is horrible.

But of course, rather than planning ahead properly and addressing these shortcomings, WDW just pulls the trigger on changing things without putting thought into it and preparing.

Surprise, surprise.

Great post. It is a horrible policy. I don't know why TDO didn't wait until xpass actually rolls out entirely to do this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom