Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Interesting results on the poll so far - 55% of you are in favor of the changes.

I think, and I can't be sure, that that is a result of people thinking it is somehow scam-ish, to use the system the old way. No one likes to feel like someone got one over on them. And if you were returning inside of your window all the time, and others were not, you might feel taken advantage of.

Bolna

In theory you are correct.

Disney will have to be unbelievably, emphatically clear about this policy though. If there is any lack of communication, then people will continue to grab fastpasses regardless of return time windows.

If, however, Disney makes it clear enough to the average guest. The perhaps you are right. Fastpasses will last longer into the day, and perhaps the standby lines will be positively impacted.

That's why I put in the caveat that this would require the park guests to think about what they are doing! :animwink:

draybook

I think, and I can't be sure, that that is a result of people thinking it is somehow scam-ish, to use the system the old way. No one likes to feel like someone got one over on them. And if you were returning inside of your window all the time, and others were not, you might feel taken advantage of.

I would agree with this statement. It's the "he/she got over on me" mentality. Seriously, I've never once given thought as to whether that person passing me in the FP lane was coming during their given window. Nor have I ever seen "300" people rushing a FP line, like others have suggested as an example.

As a former FP hoarder, I've never seen a major build up in the FP line when coming later in the night. We usually saved our FP's for the last 2 hours of operation.

It should be interesting to see how this goes because we arrive on the 10th and our first two days will only be half days because we'll be watching our daughter doing cheer. I hope when we get to Epcot in the afternoon there are some FP's left for Soarin and Test Track.

GLaDOS

I know I'm late to this party, and I haven't read through the entire thread, but from the first few pages I saw a LOT of pretty flimsy excuses as to why this is a bad idea.

Ride breakdowns? They already have a system in place that compensates you if that happens.

Dinner running long? If you know you have reservations around the time of the fastpass window...don't get a fastpass! It's easy!

You think you'll be on the other side of the park when it starts? Swich your schedule around and be near your FP ride.

I just don't see any valid excuses as to why coming back late is necessary.

DisDadEddie

I think 30 min. to an hour past would be fair. Traveling with small children doesn't always allow you to get where you need when you need to be there. I see there being a lot of unhappy people in the happiest place on earth.

Silver Figment

I don't see it as a problem because when i get fastpasses i always come back during the time frame. I feel like coming back at a later time messes up fastpass lines. I've seen fastpass lines longer than standby before due to the fact that people think they can bring back their fastpasses whenever so i think it's for the better.

MKCP 1985

Interesting results on the poll so far - 55% of you are in favor of the changes.

Yes, I think many people take the fastpass at face value and believe they are limited by the window. I know that was my belief and I missed out on a ride because a dinner reservation ran late getting us seated and by the time we were done, the window had expired and we didn't know the cast members would let us in after the fast pass expired.

In fact, we never would have known other people came back late except for discussions on this site. :animwink:

So, I am not against the changes. They are just enforcing what we originally thought were the rules anyway plus giving a few extra minutes on either side. My sympathies are with the cast members who will have to deal with those who think the rules don't apply to them, for whatever reasons. :)

xipetotec

I *agree* with the enforcement policy. 100%. We've never taken advantage of the laxness of this anyway.

HOWEVER, I'm afraid of what this upgrade is going to entail. I *HATE* some of the rumors circulating that new upgrades will permit RESORT guests to have an advantage. Don't get me wrong, we *always* stay on site, and it would be an advantage for us. But despite that, I still don't like it or think it's right, and I hope these particular rumors are wrong. I've always found that Disney's system over Universal's gave power to those who desperately wanted to ride the rides. Not who had the most money. To those who were willing to make that dash to the fastpass machines. I hope that part stays that way...

SpectroPhoenix

I am entirely okay with this change. Maybe I'm biased because I never leave the parks for a mid-afternoon lunch, but it really isn't that hard to plan accordingly. It's not like you have to plan your entire day around the one hour window, just the hour or so leading up to it.

There are GIANT digital clocks above the fastpass machines letting people know the return time (obviously on the tickets themselves too), so why would any casual Disney tourist think that they have the right to come back outside of the time frame?

That extra 15 minutes tacked onto the end should be more than enough for anyone to get from Adventure Land over to Tomorrow Land assuming you know the layout of the park and don't take the long route. Sure, getting from the AA to Spaceship Earth might be a pain, but a little planning so that you don't have to wait in the Standby Line seems like a fair trade in my opinion.

draybook

I know I'm late to this party, and I haven't read through the entire thread, but from the first few pages I saw a LOT of pretty flimsy excuses as to why this is a bad idea.

Ride breakdowns? They already have a system in place that compensates you if that happens.

Dinner running long? If you know you have reservations around the time of the fastpass window...don't get a fastpass! It's easy!

You think you'll be on the other side of the park when it starts? Swich your schedule around and be near your FP ride.

I just don't see any valid excuses as to why coming back late is necessary.

The only valid "excuse" I can vouch for would be a reservationo running over. For example, we had a dinner reservation for CRT at 7pm on our last night this past September. Mind you, this is non-peak season. When we showed up at 6:45pm the lady said we couldn't check in until like 6:55pm. We did and walked into the first room and the line to wait to be brought upstairs was roughly 30 minutes alone. Add to that another 45 minutes or so to be seated, be served, and then be on your way and you're looking at roughly 2 hours to have one meal.

Now, I realize that this could be put away with a simple "well, it's one of the most popular dining experiences and you shoudl have known". Ok, I can accept that. However, the same thing happened to us one night during our December trip in 09. Non-peak season, we had a reservation at 50 Prime Time Cafe around 7pm. Extra magic hours were from 7-10 or 8-11, can't remember which. Anyhow, it ended up taking 2 hours to eat there and it wasn't like the place was jam packed. We were quite upset because it took away almost half of our EMH time. Good thing we hoarded FP's though. ;)

Wesleyjohn

First, I'll be interested to see how this plays out when it comes to timing of a trip. We were one of the abusers of the 'don't go on time crowd'. But as a whole I don't feel like this will dampen our trip a ton.

Second, I really feel that 1 hour could be tight for many people and would like to see them open the fastpass time to 1.5 hours with a 5 minute window on each side. If you can't adjust your trip around that then IMO you're just being stubborn.

I'll wait and see how it works for us on our next trip.:)

durangojim

I'm someone who often will collect a fastpass for a ride or two and then use it later in the day. I do it because Disney allows me to do it. If they choose to enforce their own rules I'll follow them. However, I can see some (I don't know if it will be many) guests complain if they aren't allowed back in to the ride after the window has expired and it will be interesting to hear if guest services gets many complaints. What I would be a bit upset about is if one of the nextgen services allows you to return any time after your window if you're willing to pay for that feature.

GLaDOS

The only valid "excuse" I can vouch for would be a reservationo running over. For example, we had a dinner reservation for CRT at 7pm on our last night this past September. Mind you, this is non-peak season. When we showed up at 6:45pm the lady said we couldn't check in until like 6:55pm. We did and walked into the first room and the line to wait to be brought upstairs was roughly 30 minutes alone. Add to that another 45 minutes or so to be seated, be served, and then be on your way and you're looking at roughly 2 hours to have one meal.

Now, I realize that this could be put away with a simple "well, it's one of the most popular dining experiences and you shoudl have known". Ok, I can accept that. However, the same thing happened to us one night during our December trip in 09. Non-peak season, we had a reservation at 50 Prime Time Cafe around 7pm. Extra magic hours were from 7-10 or 8-11, can't remember which. Anyhow, it ended up taking 2 hours to eat there and it wasn't like the place was jam packed. We were quite upset because it took away almost half of our EMH time. Good thing we hoarded FP's though. ;)

Even then, I'm sure if you brought up something to the manager of the restaurant, he would write you up a pass that would function as a fastpass to compensate you.

If Disney messes up, they'll make it up to you.

lebeau

People around here always seem to be in favor of Disney cracking down. I think there is a perception that "everyone else" is breaking all kinds of rules in ways that negatively impact them and that Disney needs to come down on these people like a ton of bricks.

I have yet to see an instance where Disney announced a more strict policy on something and the majority weren't in favor of it.

Brian Noble

I think, and I can't be sure, that that is a result of people thinking it is somehow scam-ish, to use the system the old way.
I'm a serial fastpass abuser, returning late habitually, and I'm fine with this new policy. Doesn't matter to me. It will change the way I visit the parks, but I'll still have a perfectly fine time.

JimboJones123

When do you go to Epcot? New Years Eve? If you arrive at the park that late on a major holiday you're officially SOL by virtue of your own stupidity to come in that late in the first place.

Thankfully, 99% of the time it isn't like that. Therefore, your scenario is moot.

I have explained this already. No need for names.

draybook

Even then, I'm sure if you brought up something to the manager of the restaurant, he would write you up a pass that would function as a fastpass to compensate you.

If Disney messes up, they'll make it up to you.

Indeed, but I'd rather have a pocket full of Fp's as opposed to one set of four for time lost due to whatever reason.

CoasterKing

I was using the word 'scammer' because I'm pretty sure you used it in reference to people following Disney's current FP policy. I'd rather be a 'scammer' in your eyes than a hypocrite based on your unnecessarily strict judgment on when it's okay to use a fastpass.

What's with these bizarre parallels between using a fastpass early/late and beating people (TalkingHead) and murdering people? Wow. If murder is what comes to mind when you're discussing Disney World with someone, I'm very happy I don't know you in person. :eek:

scam [skæm] Slang
n
a stratagem for gain

When I see printed signs at FP stations, or sections in the park guide maps stating "You may ignore the ending time on your FP and return whenever you please" or something to that effect then I will believe it is a true policy. Why don't they put signs out there like that? Why don't they just print on the ticket "Good anytime after 3:00" or such? I'll tell you why. Because the system was created for the time window to be used. They only tolerate people, who "abuse" "scam" or "game" or whatever you want to call it, the system. Just because they tolerate it, does not make it a policy.

My unnecessary strict judgement on when it's okay to use a FP. Really? It's printed in large bold letters right on the FP a very specific time to use it. No judgement is necessary.

What is this obsession you have with the word hypocrite. It's clear you have no understanding of that word. I do not try to use FP's early, nor do I arrive when they are expired. Explain to me how that is being a hypocrite.

Wow, really. :rolleyes: I used an over the top parallel that would grab your attention, and it obviously did. I guess you freak out whenever you hear someone at a ballgame say "Hey, let's kill the bums!!" :rolleyes:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
scam [skæm] Slang
n
a stratagem for gain

When I see printed signs at FP stations, or sections in the park guide maps stating "You may ignore the ending time on your FP and return whenever you please" or something to that effect then I will believe it is a true policy. Why don't they put signs out there like that? Why don't they just print on the ticket "Good anytime after 3:00" or such? I'll tell you why. Because the system was created for the time window to be used. They only tolerate people, who "abuse" "scam" or "game" or whatever you want to call it, the system. Just because they tolerate it, does not make it a policy.

My unnecessary strict judgement on when it's okay to use a FP. Really? It's printed in large bold letters right on the FP a very specific time to use it. No judgement is necessary.

What is this obsession you have with the word hypocrite. It's clear you have no understanding of that word. I do not try to use FP's early, nor do I arrive when they are expired. Explain to me how that is being a hypocrite.

Wow, really. :rolleyes: I used an over the top parallel that would grab your attention, and it obviously did. I guess you freak out whenever you hear someone at a ballgame say "Hey, let's kill the bums!!" :rolleyes:

Yeah, anytime you get in a time machine and go back to the Polo Grounds circa 1932 and hear someone say "kill the bums". You probably totally freak out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom