News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wow! When you look at that picture of the multi-colored Communicore building , it is jarring how ugly the paint job is... I have not seen it in a while with that area being closed off, and I forgot how absolutely hideous and unnecessary that paint job was...Yikes!
Indeed. Imagine if we had two symmetrical, crescent shaped buildings with a modern glass facade, killer paint job and signage, and edge trim lighting along the full length of the canopies matching the new LED RGB lighting along the entrance plaza canopies.

One can dream.

Bocabear

What if it were two symmetrical crescent shaped buildings with modern glass facade and the upper part pf the Fascia rather then being painted was actually a wrap around screen... Transforming all day long... Heck they do it on the buildings in Times Square...Why not the central plaza on one of the most visited places in the world... multi colored paint stripes should have never even entered the discussion....

trainplane3

Indeed. Imagine if we had two symmetrical, crescent shaped buildings with a modern glass facade, killer paint job and signage, and edge trim lighting along the full length of the canopies matching the new LED RGB lighting along the entrance plaza canopies.

One can dream.
BuT tHeRes A sToRy wiTh NatUrE ReClaiMinG CC wEstS sPot - Big man Zach

Real question to anyone, do we think they're going to refill the gap they cut in Easts corner?
Epcot_Full_41400.jpg

They already partially rebuilt the central gap:
Epcot_Full_41397.jpg

sedati

The Comminicore structures appear to be 1/4 if not 1/3 roof. These things were built with very thick ceilings. More glass is always nice, but I think it would only make these beasts seem more top heavy. Open and inviting clashing with heavy and oppressive. Also, am I wrong in remembering curtains being installed in these buildings to block out the sun?

DreamfinderGuy

Real question to anyone, do we think they're going to refill the gap they cut in Easts corner?
Epcot_Full_41400.jpg

Epcot_Full_41397.jpg
I would certainly hope so but the lack of movement is concerning me a little. The main hall flow restoration is obviously not happening on the North end so at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see it not happen on the South end. Wouldn't put it past them to just keep that Innoventions entrance.
The Comminicore structures appear to be 1/4 if not 1/3 roof. These things were built with very thick ceilings. More glass is always nice, but I think it would only make these beasts seem more top heavy. Open and inviting clashing with heavy and oppressive. Also, am I wrong in remembering curtains being installed in these buildings to block out the sun?
Not originally, but there were some in MouseGear. Innoventions used clings and additional drywall to block out the sun as well.

lazyboy97o

It’s a steel structure. The massing could have been adjusted.

Horizons1

One of the banes of my existence are architects who do not take into account the position of the sun from dawn to dusk and at different times of the year.

It's your job to account for that, not the interior decorator's.
I mean they designed the buildings with those tall glass windows so it would simpler to expand outward as well as letting natural light fill the building. So pretty sure they did take those things into account.

Horizons1

Epcot_Full_41400.jpg

Epcot_Full_41397.jpg
When did they cut that gap? I could have sworn it was there before all this demolition work started.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The Comminicore structures appear to be 1/4 if not 1/3 roof. These things were built with very thick ceilings. More glass is always nice, but I think it would only make these beasts seem more top heavy. Open and inviting clashing with heavy and oppressive.
The majority of the HVAC was concealed within the roof structure.

Horizons1

The corner was cut open as part of the Innoventions overhaul in the 90s. But like the center gap, they reopened the insides of it. I'm just wondering if they'll make it round again.
Thought so. Personally, I would hope they do. I never thought it looked good cut out like that.

J4546

if disney were to build a hotel with direct access to the park, id assume itd be here. It provides direct access via that pathway which could be walled off, its by the monorail for easy trasnportation to WDW, and would be easy to build a road/entrance area to the hotel relatively speaking. Could be a pretty sweet place to stay if done well.

epcot.jpg

techgeek

if disney were to build a hotel with direct access to the park, id assume itd be here. It provides direct access via that pathway which could be walled off, its by the monorail for easy trasnportation to WDW, and would be easy to build a road/entrance area to the hotel relatively speaking. Could be a pretty sweet place to stay if done well.

View attachment 541851

Theme a hotel in that location as a big blue box, and then at least we’d have some sort of symmetry restored at the front of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom