News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Horizons1

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this plan was never considered for the Horizons plot.
You’d have to ask, Martin. He’s is the resident EPCOT historian.

From my knowledge of EPCOT the park history, a science and invention pavilion and The Seas were planned to be placed on the Horizons plot before Horizons itself was.

Horizons would have had an entirely different looking showbuilding from what we all know and cry over, and would have been located where The Living Seas ended up. So they swapped places, the Horizons building was redesigned, and the show was reduced in size as the original building would have been larger.

Interestingly, if you compare the art from the picture above for Journeys in Space, the art for the unnamed science and invention pavilion, and the final Horizons building, they all feature a pyramid type structure in some form.

Coincidence? Probably. But it is possible ideas mutated from one another.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A lot of juggling was done over the years with pavilion placement. If I recall Energy was the only one that consistently appeared on the same plot from 1976. Motion a close second.

The original Space pavilion was proposed for what became Living Seas. The early 90s Journeys in Space was between Land and Seas.

Century 3 and Futureprobe were proposed for where Seas was built. Both The Land (both early versions) and The Seas were proposed for where Horizons was built. The Seas was proposed for where The Land was built. It only moved to where Living Seas was finally built around 1980 for the hybrid Seas design.

Like a game of chess.

Horizons1

Here’s a photo from a model proposing a site between The Land and The Living Seas.
F72DC969-946C-44DA-B7B0-CFD13A83BBE3.jpeg

Horizons1

My composite rendering that I created.

It’s similar to the real one.

It’s funny how my stuff makes it around the web.
Haha. That is funny. I just did a quick Google images search and that came up. They should have credited you, but you know we all appreciate all your hard work and everything you’ve brought to light that we otherwise would not have seen or known today.

tirian

I posted this in a different thread before realizing it should’ve been in this one.

The worst part of the new IP-centric Epcot plan was that with few exceptions, characters were slapped onto attractions like you’d expect at Six Flags or DCA’s Pixar Pier. Moana and the journey of water? Guardians of the Galaxy in pseudo-space/energy/sci-fi? Ratatouille fits well, yet BATB singalong in France? SSE becomes the “power of storytelling”? Fantasmic 2.0 now featuring more modern movies projected into mist screens?*

Really? It feels like an old SNL Weekend News Update with Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers. Really?

The plans could’ve been strong exhibits within Innoventions/Communicore 2.0, but they felt like a lazy way to update Epcot overall.

*”How the world inspires Disney and vice-versa.” Whatever. “World inspiration” at Disney equals using African tribal music because that’s the only thing WDI associates with “world.”

brb1006

I posted this in a different thread before realizing it should’ve been in this one.

The worst part of the new IP-centric Epcot plan was that with few exceptions, characters were slapped onto attractions like you’d expect at Six Flags or DCA’s Pixar Pier. Moana and the journey of water? Guardians of the Galaxy in pseudo-space/energy/sci-fi? Ratatouille fits well, yet BATB singalong in France? SSE becomes the “power of storytelling”? Fantasmic 2.0 now featuring more modern movies projected into mist screens?*

Really? It feels like an old SNL Weekend News Update with Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers. Really?

The plans could’ve been strong exhibits within Innoventions/Communicore 2.0, but they felt like a lazy way to update Epcot overall.

*”How the world inspires Disney and vice-versa.” Whatever. “World inspiration” at Disney equals using African tribal music because that’s the only thing WDI associates with “world.”
And here's Mister Penguin's counter comment. Disney is no way to the level of Six Flags. At least Disney doesn't just use 2D cut-out characters at the entrance.
I totally understand people not wanting IPs in Epcot.

I totally do not understand your claim that these IPs were just "slapped on" like at a Six Flags. There's no 2D cut-out of the characters at the entrance and the rest of the ride painted matching colors. That's what Six Flags does.

Frozen got really good AAs and a heavily themed (accurate to Norway, too) queue. GotG is getting a lengthy indoor coaster with pretty innovative design and a huge, highly themed queue. If they were in MK, people would be hailing them as excellent additions to WDW.

Slapped on? That's pretty much nonsense talk.

tirian

And here's Mister Penguin's counter comment. Disney is no way to the level of Six Flags. At least Disney doesn't just use 2D cut-out characters at the entrance.
As you know, I’m talking about a mentality, not an actual cardboard cutout. Epcot already had one of those. ;)

DVCakaCarlF

I don’t think Comm/Inno can last long in any form: 2.0, 2.1, 4.0....the rotation of exhibits would be both expensive and full of branding, instead of IP. Can you imagine “Verizon presents 5G, Apple presents IPhone 27, and Burger King presents the Impossible Burger.”

It would turn into a glorified BestBuy really fast because TWDC doesn’t want to rotate the “exhibits.”

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I don’t think Comm/Inno can last long in any form: 2.0, 2.1, 4.0....the rotation of exhibits would be both expensive and full of branding, instead of IP. Can you imagine “Verizon presents 5G, Apple presents IPhone 27, and Burger King presents the Impossible Burger.”

It would turn into a glorified BestBuy really fast because TWDC doesn’t want to rotate the “exhibits.”
TWDC doesn’t have to lift a finger. Make it an exhibit hall And invite leaving tech companies to display their cool futuristic things. Electric cars, solar roof tiles, wall batteries, fancy robots, whatever somebody wants to truck in and display. I assume Disney has been demanding way too much money for space in innoventions or the building after SSE, when it would be in everyone’s best interest for them to ask cutting edge companies for their costs and no more, and instead to curate based on ideas instead of money. It’s the auto show model, you make your money on the ticket sales, not the exhibition fees.

Oh well.

DVCakaCarlF

TWDC doesn’t have to lift a finger. Make it an exhibit hall And invite leaving tech companies to display their cool futuristic things. Electric cars, solar roof tiles, wall batteries, fancy robots, whatever somebody wants to truck in and display. I assume Disney has been demanding way too much money for space in innoventions or the building after SSE, when it would be in everyone’s best interest for them to ask cutting edge companies for their costs and no more, and instead to curate based on ideas instead of money. It’s the auto show model, you make your money on the ticket sales, not the exhibition fees.

Oh well.
Again, conceptually, it sounds good, but how do you keep it from turning into BestBuy showroom?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Can you comment or speak on the anticipated opening of the updated France Pavilion? By Thanksgiving? Another CM/AP preview?
Rat? I don’t think there’s a firm date yet.

If work continues unhindered and starts fully when I think it will, a ballpark completion would be October-ish. I don’t know if crowd concerns would delay an actual opening further.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom